replacing a stainless joint collar

cribbeecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need some advice on removing a stainless joint collar. I've tried using leather and turning at high speed to heat, pliers to grip and turn with no luck. Anyone got a trade tip that I can try other than cutting the collar off? Customer wants me to replace it with cocobola. Appreciate all info. thanx cribbeecues

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I use a torch. Add heat in small doses. Kind of wave the flame back and forth over the collar. You want it to break down the glue but not get so hot that it affects the collars or wood below it.

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to hardware store and buy Bernzomatic propane torch. It takes 450 degrees of heat to break down epoxy. Joints are usually easier than pins to heat up and loosen. Just be carefull that you don't burn the rings and heat the joint up at the top by the pin. Heat for 30 seconds and try to see if loose, if not try another 30 seconds.

You do the pins the same way but it takes a minute or two to heat up the pins. I usually heat the end of the pin until cherry red and smoke is starting to be released from the glue around the base of the pin and then this is usually not enough and you must do again.

Good luck,
AB

danutz

Banned
Sleeving the ss with coco would be a better option, if the customer will go for it. Should be an easy sell.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Need some advice on removing a stainless joint collar. I've tried using leather and turning at high speed to heat, pliers to grip and turn with no luck. Anyone got a trade tip that I can try other than cutting the collar off? Customer wants me to replace it with cocobola. Appreciate all info. thanx cribbeecues

oops, nevermind