Mooring mediums mushrooming

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has any one had this problem lately? They simply keep mushrooming. I have never pressed any of the layered tips...maybe I should be. But I've haven't experienced this problem in the past. I installed one on my playing cue and within a week it had mushroom significantly.

Thanks for replies in advance.

Daren

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars." ---Casey Kasem

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a Moori mushrooms much at all it is probably due to either being cut with dull tooling or it was not pressed as hard originally and should be pressed again before installing.

Gabraael

Cue Builder
This is a problem that caused me to change my tip of choice from Moori to another brand. Ten years ago, I was having great luck with Moori tips. I was going through about three tips a year, only replacing them due to the fact that I scuffed down to nothing. At the time, I was having almost no trouble with mushrooming.

At some point, however, I got another Mooori and it seemed like from that point on each and every Moori would be very prone to mushrooming. All of the sudden, my impression of Moori went from a "low maintenance" tip to a "high maintenance" tip. I still very much like the hit and chalk retention of Moori tips, but I end up having my shaft in the lathe about twice a week shaving off mushrooming until the tip is at least 50% through its lifespan.

Once I get a Moori thoroughly broke in and pounded down, they seem to be all right until they are too thin and need replaced. From my experience, this takes about a month of regular play. I generally have to trim the mushrooming at least three times.

I have found a couple things that I can do that seem to reduce the maintenance time on Moori tips. When I install the new tip, I machine off the top 1/3 of the tip to bring the sidewall height down to about .200". I also taper the tip slightly, and then I seal the outer edge of the tip with super glue. These three steps greatly improve the initial performance of not only Moori tips, but quite a few other tips that I have tried too.

Of course, these recommendations are very subjective and only reflect my own personal experience with these tips. I am sure that there are legions of people who would vocally object to these ideas, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion. It is also quite possible that these suggestions may go against the official advice that Moori would give to you about this problem. Just thought I would pass along some things that worked for me. What works for me is most certainly not "best" for everyone else!

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a Moori mushrooms much at all it is probably due to either being cut with dull tooling or it was not pressed as hard originally and should be pressed again before installing.

Thanks Chris,

My tooling is sharp, so I will start to press them here on out.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Gabriel

I have used some thin CA before with single layer tips and with phenolic tips, but never with layered tips. I will try this. I also have noticed a change in Moori's over the last decade. Sad to say.

This is a problem that caused me to change my tip of choice from Moori to another brand. Ten years ago, I was having great luck with Moori tips. I was going through about three tips a year, only replacing them due to the fact that I scuffed down to nothing. At the time, I was having almost no trouble with mushrooming.

At some point, however, I got another Mooori and it seemed like from that point on each and every Moori would be very prone to mushrooming. All of the sudden, my impression of Moori went from a "low maintenance" tip to a "high maintenance" tip. I still very much like the hit and chalk retention of Moori tips, but I end up having my shaft in the lathe about twice a week shaving off mushrooming until the tip is at least 50% through its lifespan.

Once I get a Moori thoroughly broke in and pounded down, they seem to be all right until they are too thin and need replaced. From my experience, this takes about a month of regular play. I generally have to trim the mushrooming at least three times.

I have found a couple things that I can do that seem to reduce the maintenance time on Moori tips. When I install the new tip, I machine off the top 1/3 of the tip to bring the sidewall height down to about .200". I also taper the tip slightly, and then I seal the outer edge of the tip with super glue. These three steps greatly improve the initial performance of not only Moori tips, but quite a few other tips that I have tried too.

Of course, these recommendations are very subjective and only reflect my own personal experience with these tips. I am sure that there are legions of people who would vocally object to these ideas, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion. It is also quite possible that these suggestions may go against the official advice that Moori would give to you about this problem. Just thought I would pass along some things that worked for me. What works for me is most certainly not "best" for everyone else!

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this link good or bad source

If you've gotten Moori Mediums recently chances are they are not Moori's.

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=Moori+cue+tips&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y

Are you saying this is the source of knock-off Moori's or are you saying that this is where you find the real deal? I haven't heard anything about knock-offs on tips, although I have figured that it was inevitable. Everything that carries a premium price in pool evidentually is copied.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has your supplier been the same each time? The buck stops with the person you bought them from

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has your supplier been the same each time? The buck stops with the person you bought them from

I don't think it's allowed to name supplier's, but it did come from, what everyone here, would call a reputable supplier.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Has any one had this problem lately? They simply keep mushrooming. I have never pressed any of the layered tips...maybe I should be. But I've haven't experienced this problem in the past. I installed one on my playing cue and within a week it had mushroom significantly.

Thanks for replies in advance.

Daren

I installed several Moori mediums in recent months, and each of them showed mushrooming. But from my customers I know that these Mooris played consistently from top to the last layer. And I tested each of them before "delivery". All felt pretty the same (if this can be compared from one shaft to another / from one cue to another).

I think the Moori medium's mushrooming is not a big problem because it was not extreme mushrooming.

I still advise people who ask about a well playing medium tip to instal a Moori medium because of their equal hardness from tip to tip.

If someone wants a little softer multilayered tip I advise the Kamui black soft. It is a little softer then Moori medium and does not mushroom. A pretty perfect tip after all.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
wish someone would edit that site out

Are you saying this is the source of knock-off Moori's or are you saying that this is where you find the real deal? I haven't heard anything about knock-offs on tips, although I have figured that it was inevitable. Everything that carries a premium price in pool evidentually is copied.

FACT SOME OF THE TIPS IN THIS LINK ARE KNOCK OFF ...............
If One Brand of tips are knock off what makes you think the moori are the real deal .

MMike

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What the link I posted shows is that there are several Chinese manufacturers making and selling knock-offs. I am quite sure there are many more. The tips in the link will NOT be genuine. Many of these tips are making it to this country and being sold as "the real thing". Many of these "knock=offs" may be good, most suck, but they are still fakes. Real Moori's are hard to come by right now. The link demonstrates how shameless these Chinese companies are about copying products and selling them as "genuine".

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/QUOTE]I think the Moori medium's mushrooming is not a big problem because it was not extreme mushrooming.

I still advise people who ask about a well playing medium tip to instal a Moori medium because of their equal hardness from tip to tip.

If someone wants a little softer multilayered tip I advise the Kamui black soft. It is a little softer then Moori medium and does not mushroom. A pretty perfect tip after all.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Mooris do play very consistent. And for my own playing cue, I prefer Kamui SSoft, but, when I have new products or see a problem in one of my customer's tips, then I install and play on that tip. Of course, I may not play that tip to it's full life.

Daren Johnson

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FACT SOME OF THE TIPS IN THIS LINK ARE KNOCK OFF ...............
If One Brand of tips are knock off what makes you think the moori are the real deal .

MMike

Thanks MMike,

I should have been more clear. I'm not sure if that poster was saying that one of those on that site was a knock off or if they were suggesting that I got a knock off and those were legitimate distributors of Moori.

Also, I am not surprised in the least that knock offs are out there. I just don't think that my supplier would purchase from anyone other that direct.

As for the "real deal", for my personal use, as mentioned earlier, it's the Kamui SS. But, that all personal preference. And sometimes depend on the ferrule material (softer material-I prefer an Everest).

Daren

Last edited:

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks MMike,

I should have been more clear. I'm not sure if that poster was saying that one of those on that site was a knock off or if they were suggesting that I got a knock off and those were legitimate distributors of Moori.

Also, I am not surprised in the least that knock offs are out there. I just don't think that my supplier would purchase from anyone other that direct.

As for the "real deal", for my personal use, as mentioned earlier, it's the Kamui SS. But, that all personal preference. And sometimes depend on the ferrule material (softer material-I prefer an Everest).

Daren

Any of the sources in the link I posted will all be "bunk". There may be some places in the U.S. that may still have genuine Mooris. There are plenty of good sources that will simply tell you when they are out and will not try to get bogus ones just to have them.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
fake tips

fake tips I was going to place a order for some of these tips.
The problem is kamui and moori are doing nothing to stop the fakes except packing their product different to make it harder to copy.

After thinking about ordering tips from this china base seller and with enough studying i found that at least their kamui tips are 100% knock off.
I contacted their sales rep told them that there tips looked fake to me.
the reply i got back from the china base seller was very selective wording.
nut shell. they say these are the original tips, there not, their fake and the sale person is a liar........................................................................

video kamui made on how to spot fake tips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgFOtXGK1mE

MMike

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CuesRus1976 and Mike,

Thanks for for the heads up on these fake tips and ways to spot them.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
link

Any of the sources in the link I posted will all be "bunk". There may be some places in the U.S. that may still have genuine Mooris. There are plenty of good sources that will simply tell you when they are out and will not try to get bogus ones just to have them.

Hi russ

I wounder why Moori or kamui cant shut these companies down for trade patend laws copie rights etc.
Mike