Replacement of "Handle"

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I've long wondered if a cuemaker can take my Schon & replace the current leather-wrapped handle section with an all-wood handle (presumably cored) to make a psuedo wrapless. I would want it to match the stained forearm, plus add rings to set it off.

Is this (technically) possible without totally destroying the balance/current weight of the cue? It is currently at 18.0 oz & don't want to add a lot of weight. more than 1.0 oz would make it a no-go.

Is this (economically) possible without being better off just buying a wrapless to begin with?

IMG_0008small.jpg

Last edited:

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can be done. The cue will weigh the same or possibly a little less. Will also have to rebuild the cue. Take the leather wrap off, cut the old handle off, recore the butt sleeve, heat and take the "A" joint pin out, bore the forearm for new handle tendon, retap the forearm for new pin, tap the handle for pin, put together and check to be sure it is straight, preglue and then glue handle and forearm together, check again to make sure it is straight, put butt sleeve back on and align, cut handle to size and stain to match forearm, finish and polish cue, and put in weight bolt and bumper.

I am sure I left some stuff out (what happens if it is not straight) but you can get the jest of what is involved. Better off having someone make a cue the way you want it and selling that one.

AB

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Thanks, guys...too much trouble. I've had the cue since 1995 (gift from my Dad), so it won't be on the market anytime soon. LOL.

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've long wondered if a cuemaker can take my Schon & replace the current leather-wrapped handle section with an all-wood handle (presumably cored) to make a psuedo wrapless. I would want it to match the stained forearm, plus add rings to set it off.

Is this (technically) possible without totally destroying the balance/current weight of the cue?

Here is one that went for an alignment.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=276927