Joint options for Sneaky Petes

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Hi all,

I am looking to get my first custom soon, it's a sneaky pete but with some fancy rings and etc.

Right now I'm in the process of coming up with the design and i'm stuck with joint options.

Can any cuemakers enlighten me on the different type of joint i.e. wood-to-wood, resin, phenolic, ivory, juma and etc?

What about the pin options? Radial, 5x16, 3x10 and etc.?

Which combinations would be more suitable for a Sneaky pete?

Thanks,
Shaun

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
I was the one who asked about the segmented pink dymond wood and ebony into something cue remember! :)

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Yup, wonderfully pieced up now. Anyway Kim, do you have any ideas on what will make a SP look good in terms of the rings and hit good in terms of the joint.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Yup, wonderfully pieced up now. Anyway Kim, do you have any ideas on what will make a SP look good in terms of the rings and hit good in terms of the joint.

For a real SP I like 2 kinds of wood. I like cocobolo into BEM or CM. The other is Ebony into BEM or CM.

For something different I like purple heart but a lot of people don't.

If I made it from a purchased blank, I would bore and fully core the butt. The shaft would be a nice hard maple with a juma ferrule and a Kamui black medium tip.

The joint can be something to match the handle wood. Brown phenolic on the cocobolo with some slot rings front and rear. On the ebony I would use black Juma on the joint and butt with a slot ring at the joint and a hoppy ring at the rear.

As for the pin, I like a nice 3/8-10 with a phenolic insert into the shaft.

But that is just me........ there are a thousand ways to do it.

Kim

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sneaky Pete

Here is a sneaky I made for a friend. He wanted something that was a little different than the norm.

Attachments

• DSCN0921.jpg
    DSCN0921.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 376
  • DSCN0922.jpg
    DSCN0922.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCN0923.jpg
    DSCN0923.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN0924.jpg
    DSCN0924.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCN0925.jpg
    DSCN0925.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 375

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
For a real SP I like 2 kinds of wood. I like cocobolo into BEM or CM. The other is Ebony into BEM or CM.

For something different I like purple heart but a lot of people don't.

If I made it from a purchased blank, I would bore and fully core the butt. The shaft would be a nice hard maple with a juma ferrule and a Kamui black medium tip.

The joint can be something to match the handle wood. Brown phenolic on the cocobolo with some slot rings front and rear. On the ebony I would use black Juma on the joint and butt with a slot ring at the joint and a hoppy ring at the rear.

As for the pin, I like a nice 3/8-10 with a phenolic insert into the shaft.

But that is just me........ there are a thousand ways to do it.

Kim

Kim,

My design is currently Cocobolo into BEM. The points are 'spears', I would want the whole cue to be fullspliced. I was looking at coring it with purpleheart instead of maple, what do you think about his?

I like you idea of brown phenolic on the collars of the shaft and butt, with some fancy rings. I think the 1/2" on both will look good.

I was thinking if the butt would look more unique with this kinda designs:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Shaun

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Kim,

My design is currently Cocobolo into BEM. The points are 'spears', I would want the whole cue to be fullspliced. I was looking at coring it with purpleheart instead of maple, what do you think about his?

I like you idea of brown phenolic on the collars of the shaft and butt, with some fancy rings. I think the 1/2" on both will look good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shaun

Full splice will give you 4 points unless it's a butterfly splice. (check Hills cues he is the master) Spears would need to be inlayed. A purple heart core will add an ounce or more to the weight.

just some thoughts

Kim

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Full splice will give you 4 points unless it's a butterfly splice. (check Hills cues he is the master) Spears would need to be inlayed. A purple heart core will add an ounce or more to the weight.

just some thoughts

Kim

I am perfectly fine with a 4 pointed, and I definitely want the 4 points to be speared.

Would it be possible for the butt to be butterfly design?

Shaun

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Kim,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shaun
You want the whole cue full-spliced then you want it cored ?
As opposed to partial full-splice and not cored ?
Please stop getting into the construction methods.
Worry about the look you want.

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
You want the whole cue full-spliced then you want it cored ?
As opposed to partial full-splice and not cored ?
Please stop getting into the construction methods.
Worry about the look you want.

By no means am I trying to SOUND like I know my stuff because frankly I am lousy about cue construction which was why I posted this thread???

I was adapting what I could get from the replies and maybe somehow or another I mistook information.

Would you care to enlighten me, I was only asking for people who are willing to guide me along with knowledge related to cue building. I would like to be kept known of what goes on in my cue when I order a custom myself.

Thanks.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By no means am I trying to SOUND like I know my stuff because frankly I am lousy about cue construction which was why I posted this thread???

I was adapting what I could get from the replies and maybe somehow or another I mistook information.

Would you care to enlighten me, I was only asking for people who are willing to guide me along with knowledge related to cue building. I would like to be kept known of what goes on in my cue when I order a custom myself.

Thanks.

The problem is there are some very strong OPINIONS about cue
construction. Many people are enamored with the fullsplice method.
Equally popular, is the technique of cored cues.

There are those who feel that coring a fullspliced butt only defeats
the purpose of the splice, since technically, it would no longer be
a spliced cue butt.

IMHO - no method can be proved to produce a cue that is superior
in playability.

Same with joints.

My humble advice: pick a cuemaker you like, design a 'look' you like,
go with his recommendations.

Dale

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
The problem is there are some very strong OPINIONS about cue
construction. Many people are enamored with the fullsplice method.
Equally popular, is the technique of cored cues.

There are those who feel that coring a fullspliced butt only defeats
the purpose of the splice, since technically, it would no longer be
a spliced cue butt.

IMHO - no method can be proved to produce a cue that is superior
in playability.

Same with joints.

My humble advice: pick a cuemaker you like, design a 'look' you like,
go with his recommendations.

Dale

Well said..............

Kim