Sports that should be in the Olympics

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards should not be in the olympics, sorry. I love it but iys not a sport. The only reason it would make it is because the olympics is a money making machine and the more people they get there the more money they make.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't see it. It just doesn't pass the smell test. And least not until they start getting better scripts, actors, and direction for "Sharks". And I can't see Earl in the opening ceremonies wearing red,white,and blue. Sorry. jmho

Last edited:

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards should not be in the olympics, sorry. I love it but iys not a sport. The only reason it would make it is because the olympics is a money making machine and the more people they get there the more money they make.
I'm familiar with the argument that billiards is not a sport. However, are events like archery and the various firearm competitions any more "sport-like"? In those events, the competitor is stationary and trying to deliver an object (the projectile) to a target. Billiards seems pretty similar in the basic objective. I think adding billiards would really spice up the Olympics and that it makes perfect sense.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Don't see it. It just doesn't pass the smell test. And least not until they start getting better scripts, actors, and direction for "Sharks". And I can't see Earl in the opening ceremonies wearing red,white,and blue. Sorry. jmho

jmho, but "sharks" is fun just the way it is. What? You want it to be as slick as "color of money"? Then buy a video camera & give Tom Cruise a ring, I'm sure he'd be glad to help you. :rolleyes:

Pool as an olympic event? Not going to hold my breath, but no harm
in dreaming, is there?

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think adding billiards would really spice up the Olympics and that it makes perfect sense.

Might spice up your life and everyone in the Phillipines :):), but you shouldn't give it a thought. You will never get a chance to see it televised. It would not be covered nor videoed, and they won't build a venue for it :)

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, I guess I'm a traditionalist but I've always believed that the Olymplics was always a place where countries displayed their best survival skills. By survival skills, I'm talking about skills that come from hunting or military backgrounds. The best runners, swimmers, 'throwers', vaulters, jumpers, and shooters.
However, I believe that billiards is a sport. Just not one for the olympics.

dave

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member

unlike curling which is obviously a sport right?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

It'll happen, it's a world sport and the women are catching the men, it's only time. Pool is truly the other ''Soccer''. The pinoys are a perfect example. Who would of ever imagined that back in the 60's?
Pele and soccer in Brazil is equal to Efren in the Phillipines to pool, look what effect these two men have made on their culture and country. You would never see this societal impact on lets say the sport of water polo or syncronized swimming or archery or etc. Pool has it, but were not quite there yet, but were allot closer than we think.

Last edited:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't watch 90% of the summer olympics, they're all mostly boring events. I can't think of a single event in which a participant could kill themselves if they screw up, unlike the winter events.

My all time favorite summer event is single person synchronized swimming. It's 1 ****ing person, who the hell is the chick synchronizing with?????????

P.S. I enjoy curling, it's strategic and uses a lot of angles and spin just like pool.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite is race walking. Hmmm....seems like a contest to see who can whisper the loudest.

Brian in VA

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Might spice up your life and everyone in the Phillipines :):), but you shouldn't give it a thought. You will never get a chance to see it televised. It would not be covered nor videoed, and they won't build a venue for it :)

Explain more of your pessimism, Louie.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it should be in the olympics. It's as much a sport as archery or target shooting is. Pretty much every country in the world plays it. The cost of training time is as low as any of the other similar competitions. I think if it were in the olympics, the love for the game would grow. It's not like people go out of their way to watch diving, curling, or gymnastics in the off season. They watch it because it's aired, but rarely get to partake in the activity themselves. I'm honestly surprised that some form of billiards isn't in the olympics already. I wouldn't be surprised China making their pitch to the olympic committee in the upcoming years, since pool is seemingly booming over there.