Types of people you see at the Pool Hall

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have seen this applied to different aspects of life, thought it would be funny to see it related to pool. Ill start it off:

Scarface

No, its not the Miami drug kingpin, its the guy/group of guys who use way too much hand chalk. Its bad enough the entire table is covered in a white powdery residue, but they must also put it all over BOTH hands, their lower shirt and pants, the balls, and lastly the small mound they pour on the cocktail table (just in case they need a little something extra during a game)

Please add the colorful people we always see on a busy night at the pool hall.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Types of people you see at Pool Halls

Well I've met all types of people in my life at pool hall's from Judges, Bankers, Doctors, Lawyers to Mill Workers, Construction Workers, Pulp Wood Haulers to Dope Dealers & Junkies.

One time on high school graduation night I got a minor in possession ticket and drinking in public, I went to face the Judge and he fined me $15.00 for drinking in public and $10.00 for minor in possession, but I thought it was about right because I had just won $25.50 off the Judge playing golf on the snooker table at the local pool hall only a week before!:grin-square:

David Harcrow

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guitar Bobby = played the Guitar
Choo Choo Larry-Train engineer
Mental Mike-no explanation needed
One Eyed Mike=Pretty obvious
Chris The Lawyer=obvious again
Phil The Fin=once and only once gave me $5.00 for gas money-many rides home
Larry "Lassiter"=Most improved player over the last year or so.

bullshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The high baller

The guy at the hall/bar that likes to bark at you to play (will often ask for a good size spot) and will try to bet something over your head.

example: i was playing at a local tournament about a month back when a loud mouthed regular started saying he'd play me if i gave him the 7 and the breaks. I agree and suggest $20 a set (I'm broke and working my way through college) He immediately scoffs at me and says lets play for $100 a set! i tell him i can't afford that and suggest $20 again and he laughs and says that it isn't worth his time and leaves with an inflated sense of self (I'm assuming).

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
The high baller

The guy at the hall/bar that likes to bark at you to play (will often ask for a good size spot) and will try to bet something over your head.

example: i was playing at a local tournament about a month back when a loud mouthed regular started saying he'd play me if i gave him the 7 and the breaks. I agree and suggest $20 a set (I'm broke and working my way through college) He immediately scoffs at me and says lets play for $100 a set! i tell him i can't afford that and suggest $20 again and he laughs and says that it isn't worth his time and leaves with an inflated sense of self (I'm assuming).

Well look at it like this, the guy prolly didn't have a hun either, hehe

David harcrow

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The high baller

Back years ago in NJ we had a saying "Dump",in others words both players would dump all their money on the table and the bet was the smaller amount of the two. I had a guy in the room I never saw play and when I was 15 years old he would always say "Play some kid". This went on for quite awhile until I had enough.So one night when he said "Play some kid" I said OK Dump. I put all my money on the table and he could not get out of there fast enough.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Phil The Fin=once and only once gave me $5.00 for gas money-many rides home

You rode the wrong horse on that deal.
As far as pool hall characters go, today at Felt was a trip.
That is one of the things I love about the pool hall.

My first job in 1967 was in a Denver pool hall.
Everybody was a character, especially at the Family Fun Center (now Hank's).
I knew most of the well known wiseguys, and even a couple of violin students.
After hours everybody went to the 24/7 pool hall at Celebrity Sports Center.
We used to play Marty Kamen aka Omaha Fats for fifty cents a game, and he played one handed.
I saw a lot back then, I even went into a pool hall in Warez Mexico-1971, and played for $5.00 a game.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
Inspector Gadget

This guy has all the tools except for a lathe. He carries a 6x12 case, 2 break cues, jump cue, 6 shafts for his player, including 3 LD shafts. 4 types of chalk, scuffers, powder, etc...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If there's one place where a cross-section of humanity can be found it's the local pool room. Lovers, muggers, and thieves. Poets, priests, and beatniks. All kinds of people hang out there..
One night, a friend of mine and I were watching a couple of guys play One Pocket, when through the front door walked the fattest woman I had ever seen in my life. She was at least six feet tall and at least that much wide. Had she been wearing a suit of armor she would have looked like a ball bearing. On top of that she sported a beard.
While I stared in rapt amazement, I heard a small voice next to me say. "I think I'm in love."
In a flash he crossed the room and introduced himself. I could see she was impressed by his bravado because she took a seat, well, two seats actually, at a nearby table where they ordered drinks. I lost track of them after that, and didn't see my friend until few days later when I asked him about his new found love.
"She's the greatest." He said. "And, did you know she's an actress?"
"Really." I said. "Movies? The theater? TV commercials?"
"None of those." He replied. "She works in the circus."
"No kidding?" I said, stifling a chuckle. "What does she do there."
"She's the bearded fat lady." He said, proudly. "But, when she's not doing that, she gives enemas to the elephant."
"They only have one elephant?" I asked.
"Yeah." He responded. "It's a small circus."
I thought for a moment then asked. "Just how,exactly, do give an elephant an enema, anyway?"
"Well, according to her", said my friend, "you stick a garden hose up the elephant's ass. Turn the water on full blast. And, when he shits down your arm you're through."
"So are you going to continue the relationship?" I asked, trying as hard as I could to keep a straight face.
"No, I don't think so." He said, kicking a stone with the toe if his shoe. "I told her that if she would elope with me she would never have to give an elephant another enema again."
"What did she say to that?" I asked.
He looked away and replied. "And what? Give up show business?" :smile:

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You rode the wrong horse on that deal.
As far as pool hall characters go, today at Felt was a trip.
That is one of the things I love about the pool hall.

My first job in 1967 was in a Denver pool hall.
Everybody was a character, especially at the Family Fun Center (now Hank's).
I knew most of the well known wiseguys, and even a couple of violin students.
After hours everybody went to the 24/7 pool hall at Celebrity Sports Center.
We used to play Marty Kamen aka Omaha Fats for fifty cents a game, and he played one handed.
I saw a lot back then, I even went into a pool hall in Warez Mexico-1971, and played for $5.00 a game.

Celebrity wasx a riot in those days. I hyave seen countless well known players in that place over the years.
Marty was filmed there shooting a one handed spot shot which too 22 takes.
Marty always wore wing tip shoes and pleated slacks. Ont his day he arrived wearing a mustard stained white t-shirt. One of the execs asked Marty to find a different shirt for the taping. Marty went down the street to K Mart and came back with a brand new, white t-shirt.
I once beat a guy in there for $300. He took a break to get more money. He came back in an hour and I won another $700. At 8Am the police arrived and arrested him for robbing the safe at the bar he worked in.
i have stayed in that place until 9 am countless times.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Cronie

A follower as opposed to a leader. one who gives respect as opposed to gets respect.

antonym: Hustla

I'm a hustla homie,
You a customer, cronie.
(Jay-Z)

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have seen this applied to different aspects of life, thought it would be funny to see it related to pool. Ill start it off:

Scarface

No, its not the Miami drug kingpin, its the guy/group of guys who use way too much hand chalk. Its bad enough the entire table is covered in a white powdery residue, but they must also put it all over BOTH hands, their lower shirt and pants, the balls, and lastly the small mound they pour on the cocktail table (just in case they need a little something extra during a game)

Please add the colorful people we always see on a busy night at the pool hall.

Danny Medina and I got into LA about 3 am. We went straight to Hardtimes. As we were entering Ronnie Allen was walking out.
He looked at us and said,"Butchy, Danny waht are you doing here"?
"We just got her to check it out" I said.
"Go home, the only ones out this late are Gypsies, Whores, and Thieves" He said.
"What dos that make you" Danny asked?
"I am a man of many hats" he said

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Nut Hugger

N. a socially disadvantaged person who must latch, or hug onto to the nuts of one of his friends to gain acceptance in social setting.

I wish __________________ wouldn't have been home schooled because he is such a Nut Hugger when he gets around Earl.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Celebrity wasx a riot in those days. I hyave seen countless well known players in that place over the years.
Marty was filmed there shooting a one handed spot shot which too 22 takes.
Marty always wore wing tip shoes and pleated slacks. Ont his day he arrived wearing a mustard stained white t-shirt. One of the execs asked Marty to find a different shirt for the taping. Marty went down the street to K Mart and came back with a brand new, white t-shirt.
I once beat a guy in there for $300. He took a break to get more money. He came back in an hour and I won another $700. At 8Am the police arrived and arrested him for robbing the safe at the bar he worked in.
i have stayed in that place until 9 am countless times.

I have Marty's old Viking case

Heard you were in town a couple of weeks ago
It must of been the only action all week in the whole state.