Kicking/banking during game...

swisslife77

....let me play....
Silver Member
To all of you , fellow players,
here a subject that I feel weak in!

Any of us, I'm sure, is more or less aware of the various systems of aimig to rails for kicking/banking(such like Sid,2 rails parallel lines, 3 rails counting, fixed point for 3 rails...etc etc), but personally I find it hard to remember/use while in a game!!!

Maybe just a lack of experience / specific training, maybe lazyness......but I'm wondering if any of you has developped an "easy shortcut" to use when "in the heat" of a match!

Thanks for your imput!! :grin:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Systems are fine to know, but the one thing that will hold you in good stead will be your mind's eye being able to see the shot. That comes from repetition.
Practice short banks and kicks, long banks and kicks, crossing banks, two and three rail banks, and even four railers. Do it over and over and there will come a time when your intuitive mind will recognize a shot and execute it successfully. :smile:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
No 'easy' anything in pool :)

Everything takes practice. Even using systems. I rely on some very simple ones for kicks and banks, but all systems must use a little feel also. You can't get 'feel' without tons of practice.

I would say, stick mostly to one system that you for sure understand. You don't need 3 different ways to make a 1-rail bank shot. You just need to practice one way until you master it.

Focus on 1 rail banks and kicks, before worry about 2 and 3 rails. 1-rail is 10x more common.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Banks

No 'easy' anything in pool :)

Everything takes practice. Even using systems. I rely on some very simple ones for kicks and banks, but all systems must use a little feel also. You can't get 'feel' without tons of practice.

I would say, stick mostly to one system that you for sure understand. You don't need 3 different ways to make a 1-rail bank shot. You just need to practice one way until you master it.

Focus on 1 rail banks and kicks, before worry about 2 and 3 rails. 1-rail is 10x more common.

I agree CreeDo....I developed my feel for 1 rail banks counting diamond position for all of them. Simply....Find the diamond position for the way it lays.....and know that a 2 to 1 bank is much harder to make than a bank shot long but stroked in hard because of less angle to cope with...... now Passovers are an animal of a different breed but really arent so mysterious when you find out how to break em down.....

Just another lovely day in paradise.......

336Robin :thumbup:

aimisthegameinpool.com
aimisthegameinpool@yahoo.com

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Any of us, I'm sure, is more or less aware of the various systems of aimig to rails for kicking/banking(such like Sid,2 rails parallel lines, 3 rails counting, fixed point for 3 rails...etc etc), but personally I find it hard to remember/use while in a game!!!

Maybe just a lack of experience / specific training, maybe lazyness......but I'm wondering if any of you has developped an "easy shortcut" to use when "in the heat" of a match! ...
How about practicing? Put a ball on the spot and see how many 3-cushion kicks it takes to make it leaving it in position each shot. The corner-5 will only be a guide -- you will gradually get a feel for the various angles. In the heat of a match you need to rely mostly on experience. You get that either in matches or by practice.

Luther Blissett

on the clapham omnibus
Silver Member
The thing which killed my ability to bank was going from English pool (i.e. six foot tables with cushions that don't stick out from the rail very much) to American pool (i.e. nine foot tables with cushions that project out from the rail much more).

I find that the cushion in American pool deflects so much compared to an English table that the return angle is very different, as the ball is striking a point which is effectively further away than you're looking at (a combination of the extra weight of the balls along with the extra projection of the cushion means that in effect the return point is quite deep into the cushion).

Over a year and half after making the switch from English to American pool, I'm still struggling to "feel" the angles with bank shots. :frown:

It's quite disappointing, as this used to be a strong part of my game in English pool.

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a few easy tricks to remember. generally if you aren't hitting too soft or hard, the ball will leave the rail at approximately the same angle as it hits it. so you find the center of the space between the balls (and if the two aren't close to the same distance from the rail you aren't hitting, you have to adjust mentally finding the spot where they do line up (for a kick the cue position gets mentally adjusted, for a bank the object) and then find the center spot. a straight on medium speed hit at that center point will come off at the same angle. And a funny thing about trying to figure the center point, for whatever reason humans have an innate ability to move their hands at the same rate. so if you hold out your arms to where each ball is, and bring them together, you'll be pretty accurate as to center.

And then going even further, there is this messy math/picture

Triangle.jpg

if you know the position of the object ball as x,y, and the pocket you want to sink it into is the 0,0 the formula will give you how far in from the pocket you want the ball to hit the rail. Using just diamonds, call the foot right corner the one you are trying to sink the ball in, and the ball is at an x of 5 diamonds and y of 2 diamonds (center of table). Banking off a long side H is 4, (8 for banking the short side to a far corner) so we've got 4*5 = 20 for the top, and 2*4-2= 6 for the bottom. So the aim point is at 20/6, or 3 1/3 diamonds in from the pocket.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I wish your diagram was a bit clearer, with the actual spots on the table being marked, as to where the CB and OB were.

I'm interested in your gypsy math and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sarcasm aside, could you clear it up with what I described above?

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish your diagram was a bit clearer, with the actual spots on the table being marked, as to where the CB and OB were.

I'm interested in your gypsy math and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

sure, i'll try to do a couple examples later today after work, at least one each showing a bank and kick done that way

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The geometry is just the mirror principle. For most people it will be easier to reflect the target through the nose of the cushion by measuring off equal distances with their stick. Several top players at the US Open were doing that for kick shots.

ndakotan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
promotional deal

I have a barnburner automatic banking/kicking system that is completely intuitive and natural. Frankly, if it doesn't work for you, you should probably give up pool. Just paypal me 3 easy payments of $49.99 and the information will automatically be uploaded to your brain using whispernerve.

No learning or practice required, it will all be in your memory-banks (pun intended).

Disclaimer, you will not feel the effects of the upload or know when it has been done (other than when you start to make the shots of course). Errors in delivery or disconnects in your brain may prevent product from working. I've been selling the product for a while now and it has put a lot more money in my wallet.

Thanks

swisslife77

....let me play....
Silver Member
I have a barnburner automatic banking/kicking system that is completely intuitive and natural. Frankly, if it doesn't work for you, you should probably give up pool. Just paypal me 3 easy payments of $49.99 and the information will automatically be uploaded to your brain using whispernerve.

No learning or practice required, it will all be in your memory-banks (pun intended).

Disclaimer, you will not feel the effects of the upload or know when it has been done (other than when you start to make the shots of course). Errors in delivery or disconnects in your brain may prevent product from working. I've been selling the product for a while now and it has put a lot more money in my wallet.

Thanks

....ahahahahah!!!
I wish was real!!

Beside jokes, I thank you all, but I know a lot of systems, and for 1 and 2 rails I feel quite confident ( like missing 1 or 2 out of 10)
I was just saying that during matches sometimes my confidence fade off ( choking?)
So I wonder if same happen to any of you!!
In reality , kicks specially is not something you often use, unless obliged!
I'm actually try to rely more on rails rather than jump shot, i.e. !!!
But someone says right! Need to put more practice to get used to it!

Well, I'll go practice now! See ya!
;-)

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For every diamond past one diamond, add 1/3 diamond to the angle. Up to adding one full diamond. Then hit firm.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
I think of "systems" as guidelines, IMO there is no perfect system that will teach a player to execute all kinds of kicks / banks 100% all the time. Most players do it by the "feel" and that comes from their previous experiences. A lot of times if you ask a good player how did they make that bank? Most of ‘em will say they saw it going in to pocket before they executed the shot.
Now, a player can use any "system" and utilize it to add more information to their feel of the shot. A "system" can provide a good guideline on what should be expected of a cue ball / object ball
To execute a fair bank or kick shot, a player also should have a pretty good idea of how the cue ball / object ball is going to react, because there are other factors like speed, spin, table cloth etc. that play a major role in these kinds of shots. That's where the "feel" comes to play.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best advice I can give for an in-game situation is to make sure you are cognizant of the spin and speed you are using.

On a straight-in shot, your aim is not affected by spin on the vertical axis and by speed. However, both of these variables affect your aim on a kick shot. It's easy to forget about them in the heat of a match.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

I'm afraid I already have a patent on that system. I guess we could chop it to keep me from filing a suit.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Systems are fine to know, but the one thing that will hold you in good stead will be your mind's eye being able to see the shot. That comes from repetition.
Practice short banks and kicks, long banks and kicks, crossing banks, two and three rail banks, and even four railers. Do it over and over and there will come a time when your intuitive mind will recognize a shot and execute it successfully. :smile:

I have to agree with everything you stated.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for the guys that have more than 10,000 hours table time
feel is ok
systems give you a pretty good road map to the spot
if you are offf by a house or 2 use feel
my 2 cents