scoring defensive shots in apa

Jeff M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are players just below pro speed who play in the APA. Lots of players take it seriously. I would bet money on Brian Parks against any amateur in the country. He has been playing APA for the last 8 years that I am aware of. I love how people say APA is for bangers when there are extremely strong players who play religiously. Why not just support people who love playing the same game you do? This division between opinions of leagues is a big problem with pool. Say you hate the rules or whatever, but don't bash someone's decision on playing pool.

Exactly, it has players just starting, all the way up to players who are likely to run the table any time you give them the chance. I've seen all different levels of players in it. Even it the smaller town that I play APA in (about 10 teams in each of the 2 divisions), there are some seriously heavy hitters.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's no laughing matter to me. My goal would be for all players on both teams to have fun. I understand that it gets competitive, but I think there is a time and place for competition, and that's not during APA! I'm here to be friends with all, and I hold no one as better or worse than the next.

The APA is a competitive league. The entire league structure is build around competition. You are sounding hypocritical. "No one is better or worse than the next"? So then why can't APA people play pool competitively like people can in any other league or pro event for that matter? I only have fun in APA if I try my best and play reasonably well. This is far more important to me than winning.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might say its a two way shot, but that would imply a different set of rules.

But, with that in mind I'd call it a safety for the simple fact that he was indeed shooting a two way shot (offensive and defensive) and the result was for him the defensive result.

If he kicked the ball in the pocket, then the shot ended the other of the two way shot. The fact that he chose to shoot a two way shot means he should expect it to be called defensive if he doesn pocket a ball. Additionally, the two way shot signifies an increase in skill level, which is hand-in-hand with the intent of the Equalizer scoring method.

Freddie <~~~ safety allowed

Freddie,

This is not how defensive shots work in the APA. Two way shots are very misleading. Regardless of the *outcome* of the shot, the shooter either tried to shoot the ball in, or not. That's all there is to it.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One could argue that my primary goal is to play safe, but I am still shooting close to the pocket, hoping it will fall!

If one argued this way, they would be illogical (with respect to the APA scorekeeping rules.) If your primary goal is to play safe, you would not aim the ball in the hole and shoot it hard enough to get there. If you did those things, you tried to make the ball.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also agree with this and don't think there is any conflict with the Equalizer system.

You seem to be using a wholly different shot scenario rather than your original.

Nevertheless, I personally think if the shot was defensive and ended up defensive, you mark it defensive.

If it was offensive but it ended up defensive, it was offensive.

If its a two way shot then unless you make the ball it's clearly defensive. That's part of the definition of a two way shot (its defensive if you miss).

Honestly it seems you guys are getting hung up on whether marking a safety is a bad thing or not. Marking a defensive shot is just part of the system. And by your own description, the shot was pretty defensive.

Freddie <~~~ mark it however you want, but the other guy wasn't crazy

Freddie,

Philosophically, you have a reasonable view here. It just isn't the APA rule. The outcome of the shot has nothing to do with whether the shot is a defensive shot or not. The *only* determining factor *according to the APA rules* is whether the shooter intended to pocket a ball. Their forecasting of the outcome is not a component at all. Hope this helps clear the situation up.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played in the league. Why do you keep track of defensive shots if there is no tracking of missed shots?

There is. They call them innings. Every time the second shooter finishes his/her turn at the table, an inning is marked. This implies a missed ball or a scratch. You leave the table because you 1) ran out, 2) played a safe, or 3) missed. The APA accounts for each of these scenarios on the scoresheet.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is ridiculous. Doesn't a player need to call a ball and a pocket? If he does that it is an offensive shot, if not it is a defensive shot.

You have someone coring on the intent of the shooter, lawyers try to prove intent, not pool scores.

I am so happy there are not any leagues like this around here, I would quit if there were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here we have an example of someone forming an opinion about something when they are clearly filled with misinformation. The APA is not a called shot league. You only have to hit your own ball first. If something goes in, you keep shooting. Generally speaking, it is best to get the info first, and THEN decide if it's right for you.

KMRUNOUT

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
APA scoring

At the end of the day it really doesnt matter. Your defenses do not have to match on both teams score sheets.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of the day it really doesnt matter. Your defenses do not have to match on both teams score sheets.

Why would you say it doesn't matter? I would say that it matters quite a bit to obtaining accurate handicaps in your area. Both scoresheets could be completely wrong and not match. If both scorekeepers are scoring defensive shots incorrectly...that doesn't matter?

KMRUNOUT

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member

Which leads to the obvious question:

"If they don't match, which scoresheet's defensive shot-count is entered into the supercomputer to calculate the handicap?"

It's well known that defensive shots factor into the Equalizer. As a result, I've played against teams where their scoresheet had:

A) no defensive shots marked for either players;
B) defensive shots marked ONLY for opposing players;
C) defensive shots marked for both players, but clearly adding extra to opposing players.

By the way, this 'debate' ended in Post #9... the CORRECT ANSWER...

The APA rules state: "A Defensive Shot is a shot where the shooter deliberately misses so as to pass his turn at the table to his opponent. Simply stated, it is a shot where there is no intent on the part of the shooter to legally pocket a ball of his category. Intent is the determining factor."

The key phrase here is "Intent is the determining factor."

Passing up an easy shot in favor of a more difficult shot does not automatically constitute a defensive shot. Attempting an impossible shot in those circumstances would make it a defensive shot if the shooter knew the shot was not possible. The skill level of the shooter must be considered when determining intent – do they possess the requisite knowledge to tell the difference between a low percentage shot and a zero percent shot?

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
There is also a video on the APA website that clearly defines a defensive shot I was just pointing out that the rules state "they do not have to match" I dont know what the APA does behind the green curtain to determine handicaps. Maybe they input both numbers? Can a league operator answer that?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is also a video on the APA website that clearly defines a defensive shot I was just pointing out that the rules state "they do not have to match" I dont know what the APA does behind the green curtain to determine handicaps. Maybe they input both numbers? Can a league operator answer that?

In our area they look for patterns of abuse. Teams that consistently have no defensive shots marked on their scoresheets typically have their opponents scoresheets entered. You can only enter one set of scores into the computer. If both teams have plenty of safes marked, I believe they split the difference.

KMRUNOUT

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
more than once on here i have stated that accurate scorekeeping helps cut out sandbagging and helps determine a players true skill level.

i want to share a conversation i had with another captain a while back and want to ask you guys your opinion. might be opening a can of worms here but what the hell, it cant be no worse than some threads thats been on here lately.

i thought i was a stickler for making sure all safties were marked but this guy takes it to a whole new level.

he brought up the following scenario.

a player has 2 balls left on the table plus the 8. one ball is hanging in a pocket and he has a clear shot at it. the hanger is also blocking one of his opponents balls. the other ball is near the side rail being locked up by one of his opponents balls.
the player elects to kick at the blocked ball hoping it may go across table into the side pocket. he makes a good hit but fails to pocket the ball.

this captain said he would mark a defensive shot. i said why would you do that, he was obviously making an offensive shot regardless whether it fell or not. he may have thought if he pocketed the hanger he would not have a clear shot on his last ball and elected to break the other ball out knowing he could make the hanger last.

his reply; the player passed up a makeable ball choosing to leave it there blocking his opponents ball, that is defense. he also said it was obvious the kick shot would not go, the player opted to break that ball out believing he would have another turn at the table since one of his opponents ball was blocked.

i said an obvious defence is hiding the cueball preventing your opponent from having a clear shot, anything else is subjective without knowing the players true intentions.

i can somewhat understand his logic but in the end we agreed to disagree.

what do you guys think ?

If he intended to make the shot it wasn't defensive. Two way shots are not considered D

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
This is the kind of thing that comes up when you have rules based on "intent" which is something only the shooter knows for sure. Ideally rules should be as cut and dried as possible. I guess if knows there's a 1% chance the ball will go in the hole, you could argue it's definitely a shot attempt, just a low percentage one.

But since rules based on "intent" are subjective no matter what, my subjective opinion is that a shot that if you pass up a 100% shot to play a 1% shot, you're effectively making a defensive play. So I'd still mark it.

Something else to consider... If you don't, you leave the player open to accusations of sandbagging. His handicap will go down if he keeps passing up hangers in favor of flyers. But if he's marked for defensive shots, that can't happen.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the kind of thing that comes up when you have rules based on "intent" which is something only the shooter knows for sure. Ideally rules should be as cut and dried as possible. I guess if knows there's a 1% chance the ball will go in the hole, you could argue it's definitely a shot attempt, just a low percentage one.

But since rules based on "intent" are subjective no matter what, my subjective opinion is that a shot that if you pass up a 100% shot to play a 1% shot, you're effectively making a defensive play. So I'd still mark it.

Something else to consider... If you don't, you leave the player open to accusations of sandbagging. His handicap will go down if he keeps passing up hangers in favor of flyers. But if he's marked for defensive shots, that can't happen.

Couple things:

1. Defensive shots do not need to match like innings do

2. The percent of making the shot is irrelevant. If you intend to make the ball it isn't D. Just because somebody shoots a 1% shot doesn't mean they are not intending to make it

3. Choosing to disregard how APA defines a D shot is one of the things that screws up the handicap system

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
I agree completely. Creedoo and many others way of scorekeeping skews the system just as bad as the sandbaggers. I've played against these teams for years that mark a defense after virtually every missed shot. It is not defense to play a smart pattern that gives you the best chance of running out. If you take all of the hangers first and then leave only the problem balls will lose more times than not. This wrongheaded thinking is no better than the sandbaggers.
Couple things:

1. Defensive shots do not need to match like innings do

2. The percent of making the shot is irrelevant. If you intend to make the ball it isn't D. Just because somebody shoots a 1% shot doesn't mean they are not intending to make it

3. Choosing to disregard how APA defines a D shot is one of the things that screws up the handicap system

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree completely. Creedoo and many others way of scorekeeping skews the system just as bad as the sandbaggers. I've played against these teams for years that mark a defense after virtually every missed shot. It is not defense to play a smart pattern that gives you the best chance of running out. If you take all of the hangers first and then leave only the problem balls will lose more times than not. This wrongheaded thinking is no better than the sandbaggers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

The sad part is they know the shot isn't defensive but since its subjective they hide behind that excuse and mark it as D.

I find it funny that somebody did a copy/paste of the actual APA rules and these guys still refuse to acknowledge what a defensive shot is.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The sad part is they know the shot isn't defensive but since its subjective they hide behind that excuse and mark it as D.

I find it funny that somebody did a copy/paste of the actual APA rules and these guys still refuse to acknowledge what a defensive shot is.

Shark and Sooner, I guess this is where we disagree.

To me... knowing in the back of your head that a ball might find a hole (1 in a million times) and actually trying to make a shot, are two different things.

To you guys, I guess it's the same thing... the instant it occurs to you a ball might go in, it's no longer a safe.

How would you mark this situation?

I have a simple stop shot safety where I hit my last stripe, and leave the cue ball frozen to the 8. I hit the ball correctly, and it banks off the foot rail and happens to almost go into the side pocket from a steep angle. It occurred to me this might happen but I just said "ah, I'd have to be really unlucky to get that kind of roll". So I shot it anyway.

It sounds like under your strict definition, that wasn't a safe, it was a two way shot, because it occurred to me the ball might find a hole, even thought my MAIN intention was to play a safe.