It's official - I HATE Jay Helfert / Pool Wars

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Yesterday bought Pool Wars by Jay Helfert (eBook version). It's official I hate the guy. Could not put it down. Got zero work done. Spent two hours on "the throne" only to collapse on a hard tiled floor because my legs fell asleep. Should take me to the end of the week before I get my life back.

I HATE YOU JAY.

Anyone with any love for pool must buy this book. For those of you not knowing which gadget to purchase for you pool friends. Never mind the $30 chalk. Buy this.

Maybe when it's reprinted he'll take out the acknowledgement of Barry B...must have been a typo.

Nick

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
It's official,
I want to start hating on Jay, as well!
It's like he's Hansel from Zoolander: "He's so hot, right now..." :thumbup:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
My favorite story so far:

Jay get's a beating after a room is taken down for all its cash...."These things happen in pool rooms".

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is a great book, Jay did a great job, for part of the time back in the day i was around for some of what happened in the book and Jay was accurate and didnt fluff things up.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is a great book, Jay did a great job, for part of the time back in the day i was around for some of what happened in the book and Jay was accurate and didnt fluff things up.

Agreed, except for Keith McCready's BC Open prize amount. It was $25,000, not $10,000 as stated in the book. The second year and thereafter Gary Pinkowski bowed to other promoters who said they could not get together a first prize amount of $25,000 and wanted to keep the major tournaments more equal. Gary agreed but he was not happy about it. The next three BC Open tournaments had first prize of $10,000.

Edit: Jay is aware of the mistake.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, except for Keith McCready's BC Open prize amount. It was $25,000, not $10,000 as stated in the book. The second year and thereafter Gary Pinkowski bowed to other promoters who said they could not get together a first prize amount of $25,000 and wanted to keep the major tournaments more equal. Gary agreed but he was not happy about it. The next three BC Open tournaments had first prize of $10,000.

didnt know that, thanks. for what I was around for Jay was accurate. But he is old, they say the mind is the last or is it the first thing to go. besides your hair. Just kidding Jay, love you buddy-good to see you in London. Seriously Jay did a great job.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Edit: Jay is aware of the mistake.

??? I got it right in the book! You better read that chapter again. It distinctly says that first was 25K and second 10K. Keith asked Mike to play for the whole thing (35K). He won the psychological battle right there. If Jam comes on here she can have Keith verify that.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yesterday bought Pool Wars by Jay Helfert (eBook version). It's official I hate the guy. Could not put it down. Got zero work done. Spent two hours on "the throne" only to collapse on a hard tiled floor because my legs fell asleep. Should take me to the end of the week before I get my life back.

I HATE YOU JAY.

Anyone with any love for pool must buy this book. For those of you not knowing which gadget to purchase for you pool friends. Never mind the $30 chalk. Buy this.

Maybe when it's reprinted he'll take out the acknowledgement of Barry B...must have been a typo.

Nick

I don't hate you! The interesting thing to me is that I sell very few copies of the actual book anymore. It's almost all eBooks. More Pool Wars should be out sometime soon. I'm always too busy working at all these damn tournaments! :rolleyes:

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
no E-Book

I don't hate you! The interesting thing to me is that I sell very few copies of the actual book anymore. It's almost all eBooks. More Pool Wars should be out sometime soon. I'm always too busy working at all these damn tournaments! :rolleyes:

Hey Jay :) I don't want no E-Book sheesh How much would it cost me for a signed copy sent to me?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I need to read it for the fourth time. Cause... I hate reading it too. ;)

I think many of us here have a few good stories of our experiences. But, Jay has quite a few more experiences than most, and being who he is - how he puts people at ease - and what that brings, and how he writes. He walks into almost anyplace that anyone with any sense wouldn't venture. Not to mention he has a little game too.

Not sure why he keeps ducking me tho. I am SO close to red repping the mallard. Oh wait, mallards at least have feathers atop.

AFLAC!!!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I bought the book before it was printed as did a lot of others on here. I believe I have or have read every book about pool in the last 30 or so years. Pool Wars is in the top 5, maybe even the top 3 i've ever read. Johnnyt

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??? I got it right in the book! You better read that chapter again. It distinctly says that first was 25K and second 10K. Keith asked Mike to play for the whole thing (35K). He won the psychological battle right there. If Jam comes on here she can have Keith verify that.

That's not what I'm talking about.
"Our first parlay together was the BC Open which was having it's second rendition in Binghampton, New York. First prize had been bumped up to $25,000....." Unless I failed English, it was in it's first rendition, no?? Keith won the first tournament, not the second, with the $25,000 prize. You're absolutely right about the first and second place money, just not that it was the second tournament. I did quote you wrongly and I apologize.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not what I'm talking about.
"Our first parlay together was the BC Open which was having it's second rendition in Binghampton, New York. First prize had been bumped up to $25,000....." Unless I failed English, it was in it's first rendition, no?? Keith won the first tournament, not the second, with the $25,000 prize. You're absolutely right about the first and second place money, just not that it was the second tournament. I did quote you wrongly and I apologize.

back in the good old days when players got paid,,,:embarrassed2:

Its a great book, i hope Jay decides to write another book.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

Jay,
My only complaint is the lack of sex...you got to throw some in there. Sex sells. Your next book should be Debbie Does Toupee! I smell millions. Followed by...The Toupeeanator...Then to complete the trilogy. Toupeeanator strikes back.

Nick

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,
My only complaint is the lack of sex...you got to throw some in there. Sex sells. Your next book should be Debbie Does Toupee! I smell millions. Followed by...The Toupeeanator...Then to complete the trilogy. Toupeeanator strikes back.

Nick

HA HA HA! I could only wish. Nick the truth be known, back in those days i didn't care about girls, politics, movies, anything else, but pool. I was OBSESSED for about 10-12 years with just playing the game; day and night, every waking moment was about the next game! I only began to "get a life" after buying my first poolroom and starting a family in good ole Bakersfield, CA.

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
HA HA HA! I could only wish. Nick the truth be known, back in those days i didn't care about girls, politics, movies, anything else, but pool. I was OBSESSED for about 10-12 years with just playing the game; day and night, every waking moment was about the next game! I only begin to "get a life" after buying my first poolroom and starting a family in good ole Bakersfield, CA.

Now I see my problem. When I was 16 I was obsessed with running a 100 (snooker). At 16.5 I was doing it about once a week. At 17 like the Jerk I discovered women and my "special purpose" (for those who a re old enough to have seen The Jerk. Haven't run a hundred in 15 years. Maybe I should give up sex.....nah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJA6WRpvlg

Nick

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
OK Jay,
We are ok again. 3 sessions and i got your book finished. Great read. Best photo is the last one (UJ Puckett and you). You should share it with the board.

For your next book....remember more sex or should I say some sex. Thx again.

Nick