How do you act, when you lose?

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Lets have an HONEST conversation about how you act when you miss a critical shot, or lose a critical game. Please be honest, and and list your skill level also...I think it will be neat to see the differences in how folks handle these situations, and how skill levels play in to it. Hope to hear from some amateurs and some PRO's, and In between. If in leagues, plz list your handicap and the league.

Do you slam your stick into the ground, rake the balls, yell, slap the table with your shaft, hand, throw the cueball?

I'll start...
I try REALLY hard to not show my cards when things don't go my way, ...I feel like it actually FUELS my opponent if they catch me in a moment of weakness, yet, still, I sometimes find myself slinging the GDAMMIT, MF'er...I guess the old mechanic coming out of me...lol, but I feel like I'm getting better, but still I'm disappointed with myself after I act like that. I would like to be better at hiding my emotion.
I'm a 12/13 in valley...AA local tourney...

What's your story? What's your skill level?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to shake my opponent's hand and let them know that they played well. I also like to wish them luck in their next match. The only thing worse than losing, is losing AND looking like an a-hole.

I'm not sure how to rate myself. I was an "A" player on the GSBT.

mr8ball

I try to stay the same win or loose. Shake their hand and wish them the best. Hopefully I will see them again in the tournament and win that match :)

mr8ball

I like to shake my opponent's hand and let them know that they played well. I also like to wish them luck in their next match. The only thing worse than losing, is losing AND looking like an a-hole.

I'm not sure how to rate myself. I was an "A" player on the GSBT.

Hey bud, How you ben? I hope all is well and I feel sure you are at least an A+ player by now:thumbup:. Are you going to the expo this year? If so stop by and say hi. It would be nice to see you again

TrueBlue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Question

Lets have an HONEST conversation about how you act when you miss a critical shot, or lose a critical game. Please be honest, and and list your skill level also...I think it will be neat to see the differences in how folks handle these situations, and how skill levels play in to it. Hope to hear from some amateurs and some PRO's, and In between. If in leagues, plz list your handicap and the league.

Do you slam your stick into the ground, rake the balls, yell, slap the table with your shaft, hand, throw the cueball?

I'll start...
I try REALLY hard to not show my cards when things don't go my way, ...I feel like it actually FUELS my opponent if they catch me in a moment of weakness, yet, still, I sometimes find myself slinging the GDAMMIT, MF'er...I guess the old mechanic coming out of me...lol, but I feel like I'm getting better, but still I'm disappointed with myself after I act like that. I would like to be better at hiding my emotion.
I'm a 12/13 in valley...AA local tourney...

I also try really hard to not get emotional over matches. That can interfere with your game. I would say I am successful 90% of the time. However last night was not one of those times. I was playing a jerk...who is known to be a jerk...he actually called one of my teammates "smarmy" (whatever that means) called it bad sportsmanship when he played defense with the 8 ball just to give you an idea.

Well I wasn't playing good and had missed shots that are usually routine for me. After one such shot he actually asked me if I was playing defense when it was obvious I was not...needless to say at that point I dropped a few F bombs...I dont usually do that...do i feel bad about it yeah...that's okay we will play again and I am not likely to be shooting like that again. by the way I am a 5 in APA.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I'm not the best loser, and I'm the first to admit it. I hate losing, a lot. I am and was raised to be super competitive. When my opponent beats me with superior play, I shake their hand, congratulate them, and move on to the next one. When I lose because of something like a ball rolling off, or by plain dogging a shot, is when I start to get upset. I rarely get upset with my opponent, it's generally with the equipment or myself.

There have been a couple of instances where I have lost composure and acted out. Both times were because of losing an important match because of a table roll. One time I had to play a soft, thin hit safe to win the game, and the cueball rolled off giving my opponent ball in hand. If I hit the safe I was surely winner. I ended up punching the back of a chair so hard it almost broke, while everyone watching was whispering to each other, presumably about "how bad of a sport I am". I couldn't care less what they thought of me, they don't pay my bills.

I'm constantly working on the mental side of my game, and playing with my emotions under control. I've practiced, played, and worked on it enough to the point where now I don't lose control of my emotions during a game. Any kind of emotional reaction I may have occurs afterwards.

For what it's worth, I've been called a "strong B player".

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Usually I calmly stroll over to the wall, grab a house cue from the rack, and break it over my knee. I'll be damned if I'm going to use my own cue. :smile:

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Usually I calmly stroll over to the wall, grab a house cue from the rack, and break it over my knee. I'll be damned if I'm going to use my own cue. :smile:

lol, scary cause I sometimes pop my cue in the rack between matches.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I once lost a match to a young player that I should have beaten easily. I was very disapointed in myself but was determined to be a gentleman and congratulate him and wish him luck. When I went to shake his hand, he was so thrilled to have won that he..........:eek:HUGGED ME!!!!:eek: That put it all in perspective and I had to laugh at myself.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along time ago,if I lost a match cause of my stupidity,my rage got
so out of hand,I could of stuck a terd in my eye.
Now,I just shake my head and swear alot.I guess thats better
than the terd.:smile:
I'm considered an A player most of the time but have the brain of a tripleZZZ
when I'm pissed off.

Last edited:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Losing!

One of the first things I had to do when I started playing tournaments and some leagues was "How to Lose". I dont care how good a player is he or she will always lose some matches. You cant win them all playing pool. The break and the rolls just wont let you win sometime. When I play well and lose I tell myself that it wasn't meant to be in that match, but when I make dumb mistakes and lose its much harder to live with losing like that. I always shake my opponents hand and tell them they played well even if they got some critical rolls that changed the outcome of our match. I play in a local 9 ball league one night a week which has 3 levels: B, A, and AA skill levels. I'm a AA level player in that league and my matches are so close that you can make one mistake and it can cost you the whole match. It's very competitive and that's why I like playing in it.

James

JC

Coos Cues
I'm not the best loser, and I'm the first to admit it. I hate losing, a lot. I am and was raised to be super competitive. When my opponent beats me with superior play, I shake their hand, congratulate them, and move on to the next one. When I lose because of something like a ball rolling off, or by plain dogging a shot, is when I start to get upset. I rarely get upset with my opponent, it's generally with the equipment or myself.

There have been a couple of instances where I have lost composure and acted out. Both times were because of losing an important match because of a table roll. One time I had to play a soft, thin hit safe to win the game, and the cueball rolled off giving my opponent ball in hand. If I hit the safe I was surely winner. I ended up punching the back of a chair so hard it almost broke, while everyone watching was whispering to each other, presumably about "how bad of a sport I am". I couldn't care less what they thought of me, they don't pay my bills.

I'm constantly working on the mental side of my game, and playing with my emotions under control. I've practiced, played, and worked on it enough to the point where now I don't lose control of my emotions during a game. Any kind of emotional reaction I may have occurs afterwards.

For what it's worth, I've been called a "strong B player".

No one has ever lost a game because of table roll. By the time the game/set/match is on the line you should know how the equipment plays and decide what to do accordingly. You lost those because you shot a bad shot right then and there or because your opponent put you in a spot that the conditions made it hard to get out of. Almost without fail there was something you did earlier in the session that would have made that last shot irrelevent. The key to getting your emotions under control is to own your moves and not make excuses. Even to yourself.

As for me? I generally throw a fit and go home. Do as I say, not as I do.:smile:

JC

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an average player I guess, probably below average. We play 8 ball in leagues and shoot three games each night. A couple weeks ago I ran the table...then missed the easy 8...ran the next table...missed the easy 8. I think the ribbing from my teammates was worse than the other team lol. Losing like that puts my game and where I'm at into perspective. Once it's over nothing I can do but smile and shake the guys hand. Then it back to our home bar to practice for me. I find its just as important to lose well as it is to win well

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The last time I lost, I took her to dinner then to bed...

Yeah, my wife. :p

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm usually pretty good about it unless I had enough chances to win the match and I didn't. Then I'm upset at myself.

It takes a few minutes but I calm down and shake my opponents hand or at least tell them they played well. Maybe both.

I've won to many matches to think I have the right to ruin someones victory over me.

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm really focused on a run I've been known to let out a loud explative on a close miss. I'll glance around and see a half dozen guys looking my way thinking 'what a jerk'. Well, I guess I am, and that's how I am, so go f the rest of you.

But when it's over I alway complement my opponent on their good shooting and let them know I'll get them the next time.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

I don't act particularly upset when I miss a shot unless it's a straight in one-footer with the cueball a foot away from the object ball (I will usually miss this shot only if I deviate from my pre-shot routine and not give the shot my full attention), then i might grimace a tad and/or a slight shake of my head might happen. Otherwise, at my skill level, I expect to have my share of missed makeable shots.

When I lose, I do not act any different than I do when I win. I just feel different inside. I never act a fool whether I win or lose. I usually always shake hands, tell my opponent "nice shooting" whether I win or lose.

I am a SL7 (9-ball) and a SL6 (8-ball) in the APA. I consider myself a "C" player on a good day.

Maniac

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
No one has ever lost a game because of table roll. By the time the game/set/match is on the line you should know how the equipment plays and decide what to do accordingly. You lost those because you shot a bad shot right then and there or because your opponent put you in a spot that the conditions made it hard to get out of. Almost without fail there was something you did earlier in the session that would have made that last shot irrelevent. The key to getting your emotions under control is to own your moves and not make excuses. Even to yourself.

As for me? I generally throw a fit and go home. Do as I say, not as I do.:smile:

JC

While I see your point, I don't agree with your logic. Your argument is really close to a slippery slope. Ever hit a shot and *know* you hit it good only to watch it rattle out? Same concept. There are things that happen on a pool table that are out of your control. There are all sorts of things that can happen, and sometimes you can get a roll you didn't see coming (hitting a small piece of chalk, uneven slate joints, etc).

That's just the nature of the beast. You can't have complete control over every minute detail in the universe. I know when I hit a shot exactly how I intended, and I know when I dogged a shot or made executional errors. There have been plenty of the latter, but I have also hit shots exactly as I intended only to watch them miss for whatever reason. That is what I was talking about. If you haven't experienced that, I want to play on the perfect and pristine equipment you play on. ;)