Efren uncorks a HUGE stroke -- bends the cue ball! (36-second clip)

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Use it (not all the time) but quite a bit if I'm just playing the friends & want to show off. Just a force follow shot w/ a touch of inside LOL

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
In my opinion he was trying to keep the cueball up there by putting all the high and right on it and was going for leave to shoot the 7 in the top right corner as we looked or the right side pocket, the right english just happened to be still going and took off the rail and snuck past the 7 ball...Just my thought.

obsespool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, especially among people who play carom billiards. And to correct an error above, it was with right side and a lot of follow.
An advantage of taking that path is that you are going along the line of position at the end of the shot. if you run into the 8, it's not a problem.

It's not the way Buddy Hall would have played the shot, I'm pretty sure.

Assuming one has the stroke efficiency for this shot (at the shown angle), how many tips high and how many tips right would you say would be about right for executing this shot?
Thanks!

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Assuming one has the stroke efficiency for this shot (at the shown angle), how many tips high and how many tips right would you say would be about right for executing this shot?
Thanks!

one tip right, full top, cue as level as possible and follow through. Don't hit too hard. Speed control and practice is the key to this shot.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The commentators, Cardone and Nick, clearly didn't doubt for a moment that Efren intended to do exactly what he did.

I like that they enjoyed seeing it as much as we do.

Arnaldo

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
The commentators, Cardone and Nick, clearly didn't doubt for a moment that Efren intended to do exactly what he did.

I like that they enjoyed seeing it as much as we do.

Arnaldo

Doubt the commentators would have said..... "Hey look at what Efren just pulled out of his a**" LOL

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...He may not have shown it outwardly, but on the inside he was thinking "wait'll they get a load of this".

And yeah, it's intentional...

I agree that he hit it with a touch of hubris!
"There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy)

Hector3cushion

Hector
Silver Member
3 cushion shot

Agree that is fairly common shot in 3 cushion. It needs a good stroke (not a monster stroke), new cloth and clean balls. If you notice he gets 3 cushions, twice on the short rail and once on the side rail.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot comes up often in 1p too...but to stick CB on rail while knocking ball away from opponent's hole.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Efran Reyes is the Chuck Norris of pool.... Efren puts the cue ball where he wants how he wants.....

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
nice find arnaldo

Looks like Ef has played some billiards? in his days..

If not that is incredible that he would see that shot.It is the best shot (if you have the stroke for it) since the other postion plays are problematic.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eh? It's a fairly well known stroke shot, I think. He pretty much exactly what he intended to with it.

Agree. You can see as he is setting up the shot that he is putting extreme right English on the CB.

Not sure why he chose to do it that way instead of coming straight back up to the middle of the table, but appears to me to have been what he intended.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Not sure why he chose to do it that way instead of coming straight back up to the middle of the table, but appears to me to have been what he intended.

Like Mizerak once said, "Just showin' off". :smile:

Maniac

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was what he was trying to do.

Lol ouch CJ. So whats your opinion on this. Do you think that was exactly what he was wanting to do or rather a happy accident?

That was what he was trying to do. It's a relatively simple shot in 3 cushion billiards and was set up perfectly. Not much could have went wrong with this type shot, however, I"m not sure he would have used this approach if it was 10/10 in the finals.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
wow looks like it had a ton of right on it..the cue will ark like that...it can be done..