Do you offer or try to help other pool players to improve their pool game?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meaning, if you see someone wanting to try to learn to shoot better pool do you offer to help them? I get a lot out of helping pool players to improve their pool game. Even if they are just beginners or if they shoot good pool already. If I can show them something to better their pool game I try to do just that! Thank you for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Meaning, if you see someone wanting to try to learn to shoot better pool do you offer to help them? I get a lot out of helping pool players to improve their pool game. Even if they are just beginners or if they shoot good pool already. If I can show them something to better their pool game I try to do just that! Thank you for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

It'd be selfish not to. That said, there's a time when a better player can help, and a time when not (and sometimes lesser experienced players don't know the difference :angry:).

And... Some people are more "deserving" of help than others. I don't want to waste my energy on someone that isn't going to try and benefit from it or someone whom I don't have much respect for.

On the other hand, when I am in a position to learn something from a better player (there's maybe 4 on the planet ;)) I try to give my full attention and be appreciative (buy him a beer, thank him, practice what I've been taught).

Good topic Lock, perhaps it will lead to more knowledge being spread! :thumbup:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It'd be selfish not to. That said, there's a time when a better player can help, and a time when not (and sometimes lesser experienced players don't know the difference :angry:).

And... Some people are more "deserving" of help than others. I don't want to waste my energy on someone that isn't going to try and benefit from it or someone whom I don't have much respect for.

On the other hand, when I am in a position to learn something from a better player (there's maybe 4 on the planet ;)) I try to give my full attention and be appreciative (buy him a beer, thank him, practice what I've been taught).

Good topic Lock, perhaps it will lead to more knowledge being spread! :thumbup:

Thank you for the input on the subject. That being said on to a young player that shoots everyday all day and most of the night. He wanted to play me at first, but could not get staked to do so. I tried to help him with his pool game and everything I showed him, his comment was I know that! So I stopped my help in a flash. If he knows everything he does not need any help.
I even offered him the Orange Crush, he would not take it.
He is working now and has his own money, and I watch him lose it and when he loses he knocks the balls off of the table and rants about everything. Why would you knock all of the balls off of the table because you loss a the pool match or game? You cannot help everybody!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In general, no.

I'll happily share a particular shot or technique. But when it comes to long-term improvement, I immediately recommend lessons or good instructional materials. I'm fortunate to live in an area with several well-qualified instructors.

It's not worth it to teach them myself. If they're not serious, it wastes everyone's time. If they are serious, it's a long road and I don't want to start charging for lessons. I have a day job for that.

Edit: I would play with a beginner and give suggestions along the way. But IMO that's a different breed than formal instruction.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Only if asked.

But my situation is probably kind of unique: it's a condo association pool table and there's often 5-6 of us in room shooting balls and trading turns at racks. Point being: we're all at the same table and we know each other, unlike a pool hall where it's a stranger two tables over.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do if they ask, or if they express a willingness to be serious and learn the subtleties of the game. Otherwise, I'm not going to waste my time explaining something that will go in one ear and out the other. I spent all the time on the table, or reading all the instructional material I could get my hands on, to figure these things out.

BobN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if they ask...

I don't mind helping a player at all, but learned a long time ago to wait for them to ask me. Once they ask, and they open the door, I'm more than happy to help them with any aspect of pool.

Bob

Slow Eddie

I only look Filipino.
Silver Member
^this.

If they're not asking, I don't assume they would want to learn anyway. If I see them setting up the same shot and missing it over and over, perhaps I would float a casual offer to help them out, but if they pass, I wouldn't push it.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I love to teach. But it's frustrating when people don't really want to learn.
As a result I don't offer as much as I'd like to. Even teammates in league.

Most of the time it doesn't really faze me, a lot of players are just having fun.
For them, pool is just an alternative to watching a movie.

But when a few people show potential, and still don't want to learn, that just gets me. They can shoot a little, but they're gonna be APA 4's forever, because they prefer to keep running into the same brick walls you left behind years ago.If someone 2 speeds above me wants to teach me something, I dump my pride and listen.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Personally, I have a lot of trouble accepting unsolicited advice so I try not to give it out either. However, if I see someone doing something I know I could help them with, I will gauge their attitude and if they seem amenable will say something like, "Can I show you something with that shot?"

Thebigtexan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

I run into this a lot actually at the hall I play at. I dont do league play, I prefer to practice alone and play cash games here and there. If someone asks a question or wants to watch me shoot and has questions about a particular shot I will oblige. But only to those who I have seen regularly, and I have noticed they take the game seriously. Last night I was surrounded by APA "clowns" who were loud, obnoxious, drunk and all around annoying. The same lady kept commenting on every shot I made, and wanted me to show here how I managed it. Another guy kept throwing his cue on the floor when he missed a shot. Now by watching her and her teamates demeanor and rections to shots, scratches and all around game play, no one took it serious whatsoever. I was polite twice, then just stopped paying attention to her and the others.

But what really gets me is the bad advice people recieve from others. You have a person that is actually willing to learn, especially from their mistakes, and you have people "teaching" her the "correct" way to do something and it is complete BS. I feel like it almost turns an eager player with potential into a dud.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Always

I enjoy teaching people fundamentals when they ask. Sometimes I offer to help even if they don't. I always find when I help someone I end up learning something myself. I play at Champions Billiards in Frederick, Maryland. Even top pro's enjoy helping folks. Mike Sigel is the house pro there and is there often. Last weekend a friend of mine and I were playing one pocket...race to 3. Mike watched the entire set. He remembered 3 shots (AKA mistakes) I made and spent close to half an hour showing me and my friend what I should have done and he executed it perfectly. Mike didn't have to do that...he loves the game...and so much knowledge in that mans head!!! I'm sure other pool players get a lot of joy helping others!

Wedge Lock

PS: Helping other players is one of the key goals of the Lock Society!!!

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
This. Unsolicited advice is usually unwanted advice.

I have to say I agree 100% with this... I have been around several people who didn't get that and I would literally cringe every time they went into instructor mode....

The best times are the instances when someone asks me for help on something and one of em wanders over to give their input as well....

I love helping people and teaching them tricks and systems but ONLY when I am asked... I do occasionally offer to help if it's someone who has asked me for help before and I see something... Those instances are not completely uncommon but they are not the norm......

Chris

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Whenever possible. I think it's actually more fun to teach people than it is to play! When your showing some body something, and then it finally clicks for them it's just awesome!

I've shown A LOT of people here how to jump. For some reason, not very many around here can do it. I taught a guy about a year ago how to jump that had been playing pool for 10 years!!!! He had just never used it, and still played at a high level, but couldn't grasp the basics of it. 15 minutes later, he can jump well enough to get out of trouble!

I love teaching, and helping others!

best,

Justin

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy teaching people fundamentals when they ask. Sometimes I offer to help even if they don't. I always find when I help someone I end up learning something myself. I play at Champions Billiards in Frederick, Maryland. Even top pro's enjoy helping folks. Mike Sigel is the house pro there and is there often. Last weekend a friend of mine and I were playing one pocket...race to 3. Mike watched the entire set. He remembered 3 shots (AKA mistakes) I made and spent close to half an hour showing me and my friend what I should have done and he executed it perfectly. Mike didn't have to do that...he loves the game...and so much knowledge in that mans head!!! I'm sure other pool players get a lot of joy helping others!

Wedge Lock

PS: Helping other players is one of the key goals of the Lock Society!!!

That's part of his job as the house pro. Different than a random pool player walking up and just start giving advice.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind helping a player at all, but learned a long time ago to wait for them to ask me. Once they ask, and they open the door, I'm more than happy to help them with any aspect of pool.

Bob

+1. These are exactly my thoughts.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Kinda

That's part of his job as the house pro. Different than a random pool player walking up and just start giving advice.

He gives lessons at roughly $100 per hour. When he helps people out for free that is out of love of the game...not his job as house pro.

Wedge Lock