John Barton (JB Cases)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The 2 drawings on the left look correct. Second from left is the back and far left i assume to be the front but that's the first i've seen it.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Brian

No problem. I thought you had already seen both of these. For everyone, we are trying to finish all outstanding orders in the next 60 days. We know that we are really far behind but I promise that all or nearly all current orders will be done inside the next two months.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
John, you really need to work on communication, it's been 3 months since i've heard from you guys and my emails to you, Karen and Dino have gone unanswered.

I apologize for these posts but it seams other means communication are ineffective.

I'm a patient man but.....

Brian :(

No need to apologize. I think we are on draft three of your case. We will pick it up immediately and you can decide if that drawing works. I think that the one on the left is the second draft.

No problem. I thought you had already seen both of these. For everyone, we are trying to finish all outstanding orders in the next 60 days. We know that we are really far behind but I promise that all or nearly all current orders will be done inside the next two months.

John, get with me asap.

Ken

jackthehat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently sent John an email myself and have yet to hear back from him. Might just be an email problem.

I and a friend sent two emails in November 2012 outlining works for new custom design cases as we wanted to try JB cases out. The combined order would have been over $1000+. At the same time I also contacted Whitten with similar specifications. Joe emailed me back within 2 hours and my new custom Whitten was delivered last week which I am very happy with. I still haven't received a response from JB cases in over 3 months.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I and a friend sent two emails in November 2012 outlining works for new custom design cases as we wanted to try JB cases out. The combined order would have been over $1000+. At the same time I also contacted Whitten with similar specifications. Joe emailed me back within 2 hours and my new custom Whitten was delivered last week which I am very happy with. I still haven't received a response from JB cases in over 3 months.

We suck. I suck. I know I suck. I have a few customers who have been waiting two years, some a year some months longer than promised.

I completely suck. In fact I might suck more than any other person on the planet when it comes to answering customer inquiries. Why do I suck so much? I don't know, I guess it's partly because I am lazy. Partly because I just don't want to spend so much time on orders. I mean today I spent three hours nailing down an order with a customer on Skype. When it comes to email sometimes my eyes glaze over and I don't feel like getting into it.

This is why I am hiring people to cover for me. I mean I finally got the shop I dreamed about since I was 22 years old. I have orders coming out of my ears and new ones every day. So why do I suck so much answering people's emails?

I don't know. I love the thrill of building cool cases, I like messing with new ideas. I like to take on challenges. I also like to pursue my other interests, pool playing, discussing pool, studying leatherworking etc....

Sorry that I suck so much. Tell Joe he owes me some jelly for shipping business his way. I put out all the cases we can at the pace that we can. I hope it gets WAY better after my new shop manager gets here. Then I won't be the bottleneck. I am sure I will still suck but it won't be seen by the customers, only by my manager and my wife who will have to prod me to get busy working on whatever it is that only I can do.

Meanwhile, my skype is always open. On my contact page on my website the skype is always listed. Sorry I used to use all the messaging services but that was a pain trying to deal with many chat windows open across many services. And I tried one that consolidates them and that was also a pain. But skype works great and if you call me on it then it rings to my cell phone. So anyone that doesn't get the answer the want by email can always reach me that way. It's free for you and you get me wherever I am.

Again sorry that I suck so much but in the end you got a rocking case anyway because Joe and Jill Whitten build an amazing case. I love mine.

One more thing regarding Skype. Folks I live in China. When it is 2pm in the USA on the east coast then it is 2am in China. If you are using skype you can send me a message and if I pick it up then I am up and ready to talk. If you call please just call once and if I can pick it up I will. Please don't call me repeatedly if I don't pick up. If I don't pick up the phone then I am not able to, either in the shower, making babies, knitting intensely or otherwise engaged.

To find out what time it is in China when you want to call just google it and you will find dozens of world clocks. Normally the best times to call me are between 9am and Midnight CHINA TIME. We are typically off work on Sundays but if you really need to talk go ahead and try me and if I can pick up the phone I will. This Sunday I happen to be at the shop so if anyone wants to call now feel free.

Last edited:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
We suck. I suck. I know I suck. I have a few customers who have been waiting two years, some a year some months longer than promised.

I completely suck. In fact I might suck more than any other person on the planet when it comes to answering customer inquiries. Why do I suck so much? I don't know, I guess it's partly because I am lazy. Partly because I just don't want to spend so much time on orders. I mean today I spent three hours nailing down an order with a customer on Skype. When it comes to email sometimes my eyes glaze over and I don't feel like getting into it.

This is why I am hiring people to cover for me. I mean I finally got the shop I dreamed about since I was 22 years old. I have orders coming out of my ears and new ones every day. So why do I suck so much answering people's emails?

I don't know. I love the thrill of building cool cases, I like messing with new ideas. I like to take on challenges. I also like to pursue my other interests, pool playing, discussing pool, studying leatherworking etc....

Sorry that I suck so much. Tell Joe he owes me some jelly for shipping business his way. I put out all the cases we can at the pace that we can. I hope it gets WAY better after my new shop manager gets here. Then I won't be the bottleneck. I am sure I will still suck but it won't be seen by the customers, only by my manager and my wife who will have to prod me to get busy working on whatever it is that only I can do.

Meanwhile, my skype is always open. On my contact page on my website the skype is always listed. Sorry I used to use all the messaging services but that was a pain trying to deal with many chat windows open across many services. And I tried one that consolidates them and that was also a pain. But skype works great and if you call me on it then it rings to my cell phone. So anyone that doesn't get the answer the want by email can always reach me that way. It's free for you and you get me wherever I am.

Again sorry that I suck so much but in the end you got a rocking case anyway because Joe and Jill Whitten build an amazing case. I love mine.

One more thing regarding Skype. Folks I live in China. When it is 2pm in the USA on the east coast then it is 2am in China. If you are using skype you can send me a message and if I pick it up then I am up and ready to talk. If you call please just call once and if I can pick it up I will. Please don't call me repeatedly if I don't pick up. If I don't pick up the phone then I am not able to, either in the shower, making babies, knitting intensely or otherwise engaged.

To find out what time it is in China when you want to call just google it and you will find dozens of world clocks. Normally the best times to call me are between 9am and Midnight CHINA TIME. We are typically off work on Sundays but if you really need to talk go ahead and try me and if I can pick up the phone I will. This Sunday I happen to be at the shop so if anyone wants to call now feel free.

People just want to be treated with a little dignity and respect.

Suck it up buttercup....

Ken

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
People just want to be treated with a little dignity and respect.

Suck it up buttercup....

Ken

:) I understand Ken.

I guess the only thing I can say is that I pour a ton of respect for my customers into the cases. This is why people say the wait is worth it. I don't always have the right answers and so sometimes I just don't answer.

I have got nothing to say except that it's a little overwhelming to me. Jack Justis has a limited amount of choices and he only takes x-amount of orders before he stops taking them. Thus he knows how many orders he can take to insure that he gets the order done and on the way within 4 weeks, and even before that often. We have practically unlimited choices and because of that it's a lot for the customer and for me to guide the customer.

What I have that Justis and most small makers don't is a shop full of people and machines. Those people are always working but they don't always work as fast as I want them to, as cleanly as I want them to or as efficiently as I want them to. The machines aren't always working as they should. Now none of this is your problem as a customer or someone who is inquiring about a case. But it is my problem when it puts us further and further behind.

That said what I also don't have is very good system of processing orders. I have a system otherwise nothing would get done, but it is not very good and requires tweaking and better management. When that happens in the next 30-60 days you will see a completely new JB Cases. One where the founder is left to be a free-spirit so to speak and able to discuss cases for days with any customer. And whatever promises he makes in the course of that conversation will be read and carried out by his team.

It makes no sense to be able to do everything when you don't have the personal capacity to actually do it. I can't simply walk in and say stop-the-presses we are going to do this thing now. Well I could, but practically I can't because of how disruptive it is.

So honestly the best thing to have happen is I do what I do best which is to innovate and market our cases. And I am a decent order taker when I know the kitchen can deliver. In two weeks the new JB Cases begins where the kitchen can deliver anything you order in a time that is short and bearable.

I do apologize to all those who didn't get the service they expect from me. I am a terrible customer service rep. But, as I said, with the new addition to my team I expect that our service will improve hugely and no one needs to ever again deal with an unanswered email.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Here is what I am going to do.

Anyone with a case on order: We will make it up to you for being so late. I will treat each order on a case-by-case basis and make sure that you are compensated adequately for the delay.

Anyone who would like to place an order and hasn't yet received a response or if the response is more than 3-4 days past your last email/pm: I will offer you a discount to make up for your inconveniences.

And finally:

IF after May 30th 2013 we miss a delivery date without the customer agreeing to another delivery date the case is FREE.

You can use this thread in perpetuity to hold us to it. Post your quoted delivery date for all orders made after May 31st and if we miss it without your permission then you get a free case.

That's the best I can offer for my failures as a good customer rep.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member

Anyone with a case on order: We will make it up to you for being so late. I will treat each order on a case-by-case basis and make sure that you are compensated adequately for the delay.

Anyone who would like to place an order and hasn't yet received a response or if the response is more than 3-4 days past your last email/pm: I will offer you a discount to make up for your inconveniences.

And finally:

IF after May 30th 2013 we miss a delivery date without the customer agreeing to another delivery date the case is FREE.

You can use this thread in perpetuity to hold us to it. Post your quoted delivery date for all orders made after May 31st and if we miss it without your permission then you get a free case.

Dear John,

You're gonna regret this tommorrow morning buddy...best to delete it. I'm quoting cos even after you delete I'll be the only one who can print screen the content for my personal gratification. :)

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member

Wow! Very nice offer! Make sure your new employee understands the philosophy of under promise and over deliver.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member

And finally:

A very generous offer but I don't want my case for free or any more discounts. I just want the damn case.

You gotta have revenue. I know in my business I can't just give stuff away.

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
:) Jack Justis has a limited amount of choices and he only takes x-amount of orders before he stops taking them. Thus he knows how many orders he can take to insure that he gets the order done and on the way within 4 weeks, and even before that often. We have practically unlimited choices and because of that it's a lot for the customer and for me to guide the customer.

Using my name as your excuse for being an inefficient lazy story teller just about sums you up.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
:) I understand Ken.

I guess the only thing I can say is that I pour a ton of respect for my customers into the cases. This is why people say the wait is worth it. I don't always have the right answers and so sometimes I just don't answer.

I have got nothing to say except that it's a little overwhelming to me. Jack Justis has a limited amount of choices and he only takes x-amount of orders before he stops taking them. Thus he knows how many orders he can take to insure that he gets the order done and on the way within 4 weeks, and even before that often. We have practically unlimited choices and because of that it's a lot for the customer and for me to guide the customer.

What I have that Justis and most small makers don't is a shop full of people and machines. Those people are always working but they don't always work as fast as I want them to, as cleanly as I want them to or as efficiently as I want them to. The machines aren't always working as they should. Now none of this is your problem as a customer or someone who is inquiring about a case. But it is my problem when it puts us further and further behind.

That said what I also don't have is very good system of processing orders. I have a system otherwise nothing would get done, but it is not very good and requires tweaking and better management. When that happens in the next 30-60 days you will see a completely new JB Cases. One where the founder is left to be a free-spirit so to speak and able to discuss cases for days with any customer. And whatever promises he makes in the course of that conversation will be read and carried out by his team.

It makes no sense to be able to do everything when you don't have the personal capacity to actually do it. I can't simply walk in and say stop-the-presses we are going to do this thing now. Well I could, but practically I can't because of how disruptive it is.

So honestly the best thing to have happen is I do what I do best which is to innovate and market our cases. And I am a decent order taker when I know the kitchen can deliver. In two weeks the new JB Cases begins where the kitchen can deliver anything you order in a time that is short and bearable.

I do apologize to all those who didn't get the service they expect from me. I am a terrible customer service rep. But, as I said, with the new addition to my team I expect that our service will improve hugely and no one needs to ever again deal with an unanswered email.

I had a boss once who had a saying....

I don't want to hear about the pain just show me the baby!

Ken

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Using my name as your excuse for being an inefficient lazy story teller just about sums you up.

Actually, you are my inspiration. I admire the amount of cases that you put out and I only mention you because of your own descriptions of how you work. I think you have a successful model that anyone would be well served to follow.

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
John,
I pm'd you and emailed you about the "wagon" case a week or two ago. I am going to be attending super billiards expo. I understand you will have a booth there. I am in the market for a new case and i am very interested in the wagon case, but would really like to see it. Was wondering if you will have this case there.

Also, I appreciate the offer you have been making regarding discounts, etc. for the delay in getting back to people. Personally, I appreciate it but it is unnecessary. If I purchase a case, I am happy to pay your list price.

Thanks,
Steve

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I had a boss once who had a saying....

I don't want to hear about the pain just show me the baby!

Ken

Ok, here you go. This is the one we had last month.

Special thanks to Dave and Diane Gross for the CSU nappy.

IMAG0118_zps14bc3433.jpg