8' table dimensions throw your game off?

bearsafety

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive always heard the legend that shooting on an 8' table will throw your angles off when you shoot on a 7' or 9' table because they are different somehow... Is this true? I found an 8' table I want but want to know if this is true or a myth?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
nah, myth. People have a lot of funny superstitions about pool. Without them they'd have to just admit they miss balls sometimes, instead of "yeah that happened because my angles are off since I was playing on an 8 footer yesterday".

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
nah, myth. People have a lot of funny superstitions about pool. Without them they'd have to just admit they miss balls sometimes, instead of "yeah that happened because my angles are off since I was playing on an 8 footer yesterday".

Yep. To make the discussion a bit more interesting, we can add the fact that 8-foot pool tables come in two sizes, the standard 8-footer and the oversized 8-footer. This should give 'em even more excuses to misss that easy 45-degree cut shot that was 9 inches from the pocket :rolleyes:!!!

Maniac (sucks on ANY size table)

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A rectangle is a rectangle..style of cushions do matter..
the cut/bevel matters..the height of the cushion off the
bed matters..and the rails being true an square to the world...
thats my op.
I've never had much difficultly going up or down using
the corner five..hope this helps.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. To make the discussion a bit more interesting, we can add the fact that 8-foot pool tables come in two sizes, the standard 8-footer and the oversized 8-footer. This should give 'em even more excuses to misss that easy 45-degree cut shot that was 9 inches from the pocket :rolleyes:!!!

now you've done it...

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Opinion

I do think that an 8 footer is harder to shoot on than a 7 or 9 footer are.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member

3 sizes actually.

The standard 8ft has 44x88 playing surface
The standard Diamond 8ft has 45x90 playing surface
The oversized 8ft has 46x92 playing surface.

9ft has 50x100

Ray

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 sizes actually.

9ft has 50x100

Ray

Thanks...man..! you just give me an excuse as to way I come in
short on my banks on the Diamond...lol
I didn't know Diamond were 45x90..hmmm. I'll try an
foeget that little bit of info...lol

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks...man..! you just give me an excuse as to way I come in
short on my banks on the Diamond...lol
I didn't know Diamond were 45x90..hmmm. I'll try an
foeget that little bit of info...lol

Diamond HAS made both 44x88 and 46x92 also, but not anymore.

Ray

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Ive always heard the legend that shooting on an 8' table will throw your angles off when you shoot on a 7' or 9' table because they are different somehow... Is this true? I found an 8' table I want but want to know if this is true or a myth?

NO. Angles are the same.

randyg

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A 40 deg angle is the same no matter what size table youre on.....Its common sense,, please tell me you were joking with this question

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Myth. IMO.

Freddie <~~~ needing more characters

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find my game is best on an 8 footer. Angles are angles; you can't forget how to shoot a cut shot. My pocketing increases because of the smaller table size, but there's still enough room to navigate.

denveracs

Registered
I've been wondering the same thing lately. I have a 9' in my basement that I shoot on a lot, but have going to places with 7's lately. Shoots seem ok, but I've been scratching a lot. Is it in my head? Do I just need to slow my roll when on a 7'?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I respectfully disagree.

The reason I play so lousy is that I'm playing on an 8-foot table.

Straight-in shots don't go straight. Cut shots consistently over-cut or under-cut. Banking is a crapshoot. And the cue ball always goes into a pocket. It's because of the table!

I've never played on a 9-footer, but I'm sure I wouldn't have these problems on one. :grin-square:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've been wondering the same thing lately. I have a 9' in my basement that I shoot on a lot, but have going to places with 7's lately. Shoots seem ok, but I've been scratching a lot. Is it in my head? Do I just need to slow my roll when on a 7'?

Here is where a table's size can change the outcome of two exact shots played on a barbox and a 9-footer. Say a 30-degree cut shot into a corner pocket using extreme low english brings the cueball to the third diamond on the long rail (near the side pocket), this same shot on the barbox could very well scratch in the side pocket on the barbox. The distance from where the object ball was contacted by the cueball to the side pocket was shorter on a barbox.

Maybe this is what the OP was refering to???

Maniac (hoping he didn't "butcher" up his explanation too much :sorry:)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The reason I play so lousy is that I'm playing on an 8-foot table.

Straight-in shots don't go straight. Cut shots consistently over-cut or under-cut. Banking is a crapshoot. And the cue ball always goes into a pocket.

I've never played on a 9-footer, but I'm sure I wouldn't have these problems on one. :grin-square:

Hmmmmm. Sounds as if we would match up well:eek:!!!

Maniac (don't forget that our carom shots never go in either :thumbup:)

denveracs

Registered
That does make sense. Glad to hear it's not all in my head. It was pretty frustrating. Guess I just have to venture out and get time on the little tables too.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 sizes actually.

9ft has 50x100

Ray

Notice something here? The length is twice the width on a regulation table. Thus the tables are proportionally the same and so are the angles.

Other factors come into play that affect the angles coming up short or whatever. Consider the cushions: are they new, old, height, angle, etc. The cloth also can come into play: new, old, clean, dirty, material of cloth.

But the angles being different...hogwash.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I suppose I've never had the opportunity to play on a good 8' table. Every 8' table that I've played on were non-framed slate, glued down cloth, funny cut pockets with crappy rails where the CB boinged up in the air and garbage balls that thudded rather than clicked.

So, my perception of an 8' table comes from my experience with them, and that is I hated playing on them so much I had no desire to make any balls.

Not to mention it was usually at someone's house where there was a party or something and half the people playing were chalking the rubber bumper on the butt of the cue stick.

So, yeah, for me it's not only hard to make a ball on an 8' table, it's hard to call it a pool table.

If a real 8' table exists, perhaps if I get to experience it, my view would change.