New Format for the Kamui 14.1 Challenge

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys Steve, Gene Mann, Holden Chin, and I have been tossing around format ideas for the last few weeks and Holden came up with this for us and I believe that this is going to be our final format for the event this year.

Instead of letting a player take 5 attempts at the table and letting them run as high as they can go we are giving them a goal number to hit and we will record the number of innings it takes for them to hit that number. Once that player reaches their goal number they will be allowed to keep shooting to increase their average. The average will be used to break inning ties. When a player misses that player may take ball in hand behind the line or play from where the cue ball lies and continue their attempt. When a player scratches they will take ball in hand behind the line and lose one point as well off their total score.

There will be two tiers.

Tier 1 will be our higher level players and they will have to go to 140. The cost for them to play is $40.00.

Tier 2 will be our lower level players and they will have to go to 65. the cost for them to play is $25.00

If a player who signs up for tier 2 is running well and hits a good number they may buy into tier 1 for the extra 15 dollars.

** Please note at any point we as the management of the event reserve the right to raise a player to the higher tier at any point in the event.** That being said this will be discussed with that player prior to them being raised and they will be given the option to buy into the higher tier or simply forefit their score and receive their money back.

As always the top 8 players in tier 1 will go on to a single elimination tournament on Sunday which they will be required to play in and if they are not able to play in that final tournament their prize money will be passed on to the next available player who can play in the final 8 man tournament stage.

We are currently working on securing a round the clock stream for the event to stream the beginning stages but due to astronomical internet costs the host facility we may only be able to stream the finals which will be happening this year.

For the tier 2 players we will be paying our top two players again this year as well.

We will also be raffling off cues from Kent Davis, Jacoby, and more as well as gift cards from Pooldawg.com.

In the final tournament stage the races will be to 100 except in the finals which will be to 150.

With so many big names not attending this year it really is anyone's game and we look forward to seeing what plays out this year.

As always we are trying to be as fair as possible to anyone and everyone who enters this event. The rules will be on full display this year as well as explained to each player who decides to enter the competition.

This year we will also be eliminating the full practice rack. You get 5 shots on the table to warm up and that is it.

We will be playing on gorgeous 9 foot diamond pro ams with simonis cloth so the tables should be playing incredible.

As for the question that will inevitably come up about players pacing themselves we will do our best to watch out for this, but without making the event a fully open event there is no way to truly stop pacing. We can only put a format in place that makes it more difficult.

We look forward to a great year this year. We have amazing sponsors and supporters who will be at the booth this year with us and I look forward to seeing what the event brings.

I also look forward to seeing your thoughts below.

Sincerely,
Charles Eames
Tournament Director
Kamui 14.1 Challenge

Last edited:

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

you guys always do a great job and i wish i could make it.
expenses to high and payouts in players championship to low.

good luck guys

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... we are giving them a goal number to hit and we will record the number of innings it takes for them to hit that number. Once that player reaches their goal number they will be allowed to keep shooting to increase their average. The average will be used to break inning ties.

There will be two tiers. ...
I assume that players may enter more than once, that their highest set is the one that counts, and that they start each inning from a full rack with a free break. Is that right?

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Less than a month away. Sorry John won't be there. He would certainly be odds on to win.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great modification to the rules. Should make more excitement for everyone! See you there.

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of letting a player take 5 attempts at the table and letting them run as high as they can go we are giving them a goal number to hit and we will record the number of innings it takes for them to hit that number. Once that player reaches their goal number they will be allowed to keep shooting to increase their average. The average will be used to break inning ties. When a player misses that player may take ball in hand behind the line or play from where the cue ball lies and continue their attempt. When a player scratches they will take ball in hand behind the line and lose one point as well off their total score.

Sorry for being a math head but this restated:

With a goal of 100 (example) and two people tie, they would have the same inning count to 100, therefore you're breaking the tie by the number over 100 in the LAST inning.

If both get to 100 during our 5th inning (20/inning) you're stating whomever continues to a higher count would win the tie. The pots over 100 would be the key.

Don't disagree, just rewording to draw attention to how you're breaking the tie. Did you also consider the highest inning rather than the number over the goal to break the tie?

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We arent using the number over the goal we are using the average to break the tie when the player is allowed to keep shooting on that last inning so if player A shoots 110 in 5 innings and player b shoots 100 in 5 innings and the goal is 100 player a is going to have a better average.

In an effort to make the event simpler for everyone high inning count in the event of a tie may be the way to go here. TCo I def appreciate the input and will talk it over with Steve Heather and Gene and see where we land but I think its a great idea.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting approach. I'm curious to see how it turns out!

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Charlie,

Good format and I think it helps many aspects of the challenge.

You mention that after a miss, the player may shoot from where the cue ball lies or take the cue ball in hand in the kitchen. Bob Jewett asked about each inning starting from ball in hand and a full rack and you said "correct". Am I misunderstanding something?

Andy

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey Charlie,

Good format and I think it helps many aspects of the challenge.

You mention that after a miss, the player may shoot from where the cue ball lies or take the cue ball in hand in the kitchen. Bob Jewett asked about each inning starting from ball in hand and a full rack and you said "correct". Am I misunderstanding something?

Andy

Hey Andy,

I players session begins with a ball in hand setup break shot to get started. going forward when a player misses, that player has the option to leave the cue ball where it lies or to shoot from ball in hand position inside of the kitchen.

Hope this answers your question.

Will we be seeing you there this year Andy ?

-Steve

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Andy,

I players session begins with a ball in hand setup break shot to get started. going forward when a player misses, that player has the option to leave the cue ball where it lies or to shoot from ball in hand position inside of the kitchen.
Just to make sure I understand....

If a player has left himself a very bad break ball -- one that is very hard to make and is very unlikely to break the rack even if it is made -- then it seems the best strategy is to ignore the bad break ball and shoot directly at the rack, calling some ball, any ball. It that correct?

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes but that player would be adding an inning to his total thereby decreasing his standing in the event itself.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes but that player would be adding an inning to his total thereby decreasing his standing in the event itself.

But not if he made the wildly called ball out of the stack. That would then open the table even if he missed pocketing the low percentage shot out of the pack, giving him a better set of balls to start his next inning. Just for me I think the break shot is more important than it seems to be in this format.

Looking forward to how it all shakes out.

You are all doing a great job with this. Wish I could make it this year

Andy

Last edited:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But not if he made the wildly called ball out of the stack. That would then open the table even if he missed pocketing the low percentage shot out of the pack, giving him a better set of balls to start his next inning. Just for me I think the break shot is more important than it seems to be in this format.

Looking forward to how it all shakes out.

You are all doing a great job with this. Wish I could make it this year

Andy

Time to dust off the balls that are makeable out of a full stack.

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to make sure I understand....

If a player has left himself a very bad break ball -- one that is very hard to make and is very unlikely to break the rack even if it is made -- then it seems the best strategy is to ignore the bad break ball and shoot directly at the rack, calling some ball, any ball. It that correct?

Hi Bob,

I've tried this format a couple of times at home and there are definitely some times to "give up" and just hit the stack or open a cluster. There are times when I found myself trying ridiculous shots and it would cost me 2 or 3 innings.

Sounds like there's an added strategy on decision making!

Andy

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, what do you all expect the winning inning counts to be for each level?

I expect the amateur and pro winning counts to be 2-3 innings, but I have no idea how accurate that will be.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the winning counts might be higher than you think. I know a lot of people where we play for the 60 mark were hitting even up to 6-7 all the way up to 10 innings.

For the pros thats tough because they literally need to put up a big number each time at the table. I would say for the pros 2-3 is more accurate with some 4 and 5's thrown in there.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big thanks to Holden Chin from Raxx for his incredible contribution of $300.00 to the challenge. Guys the support we got this year from all of you has been amazing and we really can't wait to debut the new format.

If you or anyone else you know might be interested in helping us out with a cue or a monetary donation to the event it would be awesome so please let us know.

Thanks so much guys