If you call a hard shot and the ball goes into the pocket, why is it luck?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meaning, you shot a hard bank, kick, cut, or long shot and you make it people watching say you made a lucky shot. How could it be luck when you called the shot?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

skateboardkid

Registered
When you attempt a low percentage shot, you need luck on your side to make the shot. You are lucky when you make it, because the odds are against you when you attempt the shot.

Ironically, you can miss any shot on the pool table - so there really is an aspect of luck in almost any shot no matter how easy it is.

Banks

Banned
It doesn't matter if you can do it 3 times in a row. What matters is that you can do it when it needs to be done. The way I see it, if you never try the 10% shot, it'll be longer before it's a 20% shot, all the way up to when it's no longer a 'lucky' shot. Maybe that's why Efren gets so 'lucky'. :thumbup:

On the flip side, would it just be unlucky if I missed a shot that I should make?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I agree with the percentage aspect. Whether you call a shot, or not, the higher the percentage of failure (shot difficulty) the more fortunate you have to be in making the shot. :smile:

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
"I'm saying that shot was luck. You couldn't make that shot again in a million years."

"I don't have make it again in a million years, I made it just now."

The One

Banned
"I'm saying that shot was luck. You couldn't make that shot again in a million years."

"I don't have make it again in a million years, I made it just now."

Some guy said that to me a month ago and I gave that answer :D But I knew he was right though :thumbup:

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
my simple reply is "... i've sent a bunch of players home busted who think e making that shot is luck... or something like that.

SterlingArcher

Dangerrrrr Zone
Silver Member
Meaning, you shot a hard bank, kick, cut, or long shot and you make it people watching say you made a lucky shot. How could it be luck when you called the shot?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Its never really "luck" if you call a pocket. However, say you take a 10% shot, and you make it......you did just have the 1/10 time you are going to make that shot come up when it counted. So I guess you could call yourself "fortunate" at that time. Obviously one can debate what the % of a shot is, and that's fairly subjective. You would have to shoot a shot thousands of times to actually get a real % you could count on, however the more you shoot a shot, unless its just a really really hard shot, they better you will get, so over time your % will go up.

If you just hit a ball hard and it goes, I think there is an arguement you got "lucky" since you had now idea where the ball was going. The other side to that argument is that you are going to make the ball a certain % of the time in this situation too, just so happened to be now.

I think "fortunate," or "right time at the right place" is a much better way of describing when someone hits a low % shot at the right time. Its the same when you say, bet 5$ on a roulette wheel 36 times in a row and lose, but when you got frustrated and bet 500$ on the 37th time and won.....you weren't "lucky," you were just fortunate when the math finally landed in your favor you were betting big. (simplified the logic in the roulette example just to make a point)

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
If I buy a lottery ticket and say that I'm going to win, then actually do, it doesn't matter if it was intended. It's the product of pure luck.

Now when it's in the context of a game of skill, and all variables can be controlled, then it's purely the result of skill.

In the end, I'd say it's circumstantial. If the shot contains unknown variables, then luck becomes an element. The more unknowns, the bigger the luck factor.

SterlingArcher

Dangerrrrr Zone
Silver Member
If I buy a lottery ticket and say that I'm going to win, then actually do, it doesn't matter if it was intended. It's the product of pure luck.

Now when it's in the context of a game of skill, and all variables can be controlled, then it's purely the result of skill.

In the end, I'd say it's circumstantial. If the shot contains unknown variables, then luck becomes an element. The more unknowns, the bigger the luck factor.

Well, technically you could buy a lotto ticket 172 million(or whatever the odds are) times and say it every time you bought one.......when you won, technically you knew the odds, so eventually it *probably* would happen.

But technically thats a technicality. :)

(of course every time you bought the lotto ticket, the jackpot would have to be at least 172 million after taxes, or you'd be losing money even if you won)

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your not good at say kicking balls then your probably guessing at where and how hard to hit it when you shoot the shot. That to a degree is luck. You didn't really know what your doing you just shot and hoped for the best and in that one instance you got lucky. I see it every Apa night by 2s and 3s

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes it depends on how someone plays the shot.
There are subtle differences in execution, usually pros put more knowledge on shots so the line between skill and low percentage moves..
Petros

Last edited:

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
When you attempt a low percentage shot, you need luck on your side to make the shot. You are lucky when you make it, because the odds are against you when you attempt the shot.

I would say: When you attempt a low percentage shot, and you call it and you do it, then you did not have any kind of luck. You just did it in a right way. A low rate of percentage is just a result of your lack of knowledge and practice.

Ironically, you can miss any shot on the pool table - so there really is an aspect of luck in almost any shot no matter how easy it is.

Here I would say: You can not talk about luck if it goes about hitting a called ball or not. If you call it and hit it, you did it right, if you called it and failed it, your practice wasn't good enough.

Mine is the red text. Talking about luck - in the context of called shots! - only helps to hide ones own lack of skills or practice / reliabilty / consitency.

SterlingArcher

Dangerrrrr Zone
Silver Member
Mine is the red text. Talking about luck - in the context of called shots! - only helps to hide ones own lack of skills or practice / reliabilty / consitency.

Some shots are just a low % rate no matter what. Multi rail banks for example. You can raise your % to a respectable rate, but some are going to fall below 50% just because of the sheer difficulty.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Some shots are just a low % rate no matter what. Multi rail banks for example. You can raise your % to a respectable rate, but some are going to fall below 50% just because of the sheer difficulty.

I know what you want mean. But again: The far most inconsitent factor in billards game is the player itself, its technique, its skills and abilities. I call it wrong to think like this in principle.

--> You have a plan --> you call a shot based on this plan --> you hit it. That's in principle no luck. That's a skill. You try the same shot again and you miss it, you did something in another way than efore when you hit it. We are talking about your skill and how consistent you can hit a ball. But this is a thing of luck in my understanding.

Of course you can take such examples of extremely difficult shots, and the more difficult it is the more you tend to think about luck. Bit it is still a question of the ability, and of intelligence to know when it is time to play a safety for stretegic reasons. Or do you think holding a cuestick in ones hand can be called "luck" ? No. That's not the meaning of "luck". Luck means in my understanding. something happens that you weren't able to have an influence on, that you did't have the chance to control it.

Many people that I played with, call it also luck if they loose a set of nineball. Tho those I always say: We both use same rules, same balls, same table. Every mistake you make can be the one that decides the set. But you do your mistakes by your own. If you think a mistake was bad luck: Then you are lying to yourself, the better answer is: I was not goog enough.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member

I know what you mean. But again: The far most inconsitent factor in billards game is the player itself, its technique, its skills and abilities. I call it wrong to think like this in principle.

--> You have a plan --> you call a shot based on this plan --> you hit it. That's in principle no luck. That's a skill. --> You try the same shot again and you miss it --> you did something in another way than efore when you hit it. We are talking about your skill and how consistent you can hit a ball. But this is NOT a thing of luck in my understanding.

Of course you can take such examples of extremely difficult shots, and the more difficult it is the more you tend to think about luck. Bit it is still a question of the ability, and of intelligence to know when it is time to play a safety for strategic reasons. Or do you think holding a cuestick in ones hand can be called "luck" ? No. That's not the meaning of "luck". Luck means in my understanding: something happens that you weren't able to have an influence on, that you did't have the chance to control it.

Many people that I played with, call it also luck if they loose a set of nineball. Th those I always say: We both use same rules, same balls, same table. Every mistake you make can be the one that decides the set. But you do your mistakes by your own. If you think a mistake was bad luck: Then you are lying to yourself, the better answer is: I was not good enough, I make my mistakes because of MY OWN lack of abilities.

Last edited:

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this is a good example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2JFOGlntw
Mr Reyes performs a great 4 cushion shot after a really good safety (poor oponent..).
According to Condi's system starting from 55 trying to arrive at 45 he has to aim at 10, but that route is not open due to placement of balls 5 and 6.
So he has to "violate" this route, playing to 15 and adjusting spin and speed (always specifically, compared to the ones used in the system "basis") in order to avoid any obstacles and arrive at the desired location.
A medium player without this knowledge perhaps could see (or "feel") that route and make the called shot without actually using the exact same shot elements, but that wouldn't be the same and he would definately have a smaller success percentage playing the shot some times compared to a Pro of this caliber.
Subtle differences that do make a difference in long term between players..
Petros
PS route estimation from TV cannot be 100% precise..

Last edited:

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
I was once told, "Luck is the result of skill and practice!". I've also been told "Luck beats skills ass anyday!". To combat the second quote, I have yet to see somebody "Luck" an entire rack/set. In addition, I'll add yet another Poolhall Junkies quote "Even a blind Squirrel find a nut every now and then!". The opening dialogue in the Color of Money also speaks of luck. "Luck plays a part in 9-ball, but for some players, luck itself is an art!"
One thing we can ALL agree on is, more than once we have all been on both the giving and receiving end of luck. The real issue with luck is at what time it appears, early in a set is no big deal, hill/hill and luck the last winning shot.... you're either the champ or the chump!

Dopc