Why buy a cue that is over $300?

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I can somewhat understand a $1,000 cue, I don't think I will ever see the point of a case over $100. Unless the goal is to have people envy you for the fact that you can buy one.

if you can point me to an actual leather case that's at least a 3x3 for under $100, i'll agree with you. But its hard to find a vinyl one at that size at that price. And the 3x3 is minimum (have a 3x5) as its me + JuicyGirl each having a cue, plus a single break cue for the two of us to share. Hard to find something in leather under $300 at that size, and that's not going custom or fancy.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard the broomstick story for decades about many different players. Is it true? I find it hard to believe that someone using a broomstick could beat a player who could play even a little--meaning able to run twenty balls in straight pool or a rack or two in nine ball. Am I wrong?

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the same mentality that drives purse sales. Women spend hundreds on something to hold lipstick and a tampon. It was bought because it was pink and white, not because it did what she needed.

I have a $100 case I won in a raffle on AZ for $10 or something, or I'd be using a $50 case. Holds my cue and accessories, never had any issues.

While I can somewhat understand a $1,000 cue, I don't think I will ever see the point of a case over $100. Unless the goal is to have people envy you for the fact that you can buy one.

I like tooled leather..some of the cases really look sharp..To me they are a form of art.
If some one chooses to envy what I have, thats their issue not mine..I understand therepeople who buy to impress others..or so I've been told. I just can't come off the
money to buy one..I'd feel guilty..but as the years roll by I'm coming closer to saying
wth an spend 700/800 on one..I'm with you on the cue as well..but there too..there's
a few cues out there for 1800 that I like..don't know if I'll ever have one of those either..
when ever I have the erdge..I just hit a few with my brothers cue..lol.
have a nice day man.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
if you can point me to an actual leather case that's at least a 3x3 for under $100, i'll agree with you. But its hard to find a vinyl one at that size at that price. And the 3x3 is minimum (have a 3x5) as its me + JuicyGirl each having a cue, plus a single break cue for the two of us to share. Hard to find something in leather under $300 at that size, and that's not going custom or fancy.

Well, why does it have to be leather.... a vinyl case will protect your cues just as well, for a lot cheaper price... heck, most folks can't tell the difference... I know I can't..... unless you look close and touch it to make sure....

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Everybody has their own ideas about which luxury purchases are okay and which are absurd.

Say you're looking at a $1,000 watch, and some people just have to go on record as saying that it's ridiculous to spend that much on a watch. "My $30 Casio tells me the time just fine." You can explain it to them, but they'll probably still think you're crazy. You'll obviously get that with pool cues too.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
, I don't think I will ever see the point of a case over $100. Unless the goal is to have people envy you for the fact that you can buy one.

Well, we could all drive Toyota Camry's... They are practical, well built and get great customer reviews..... best selling car in America for a long time now. But we don't... because we all like something different... And I've had 3 Camry's in my life.... but just not for "me" anymore :)

Most folks buy something cause they like it, not because someone else is going to be impressed by it...

Of course, it still makes no sense to buy a case that costs as much or more than the cue you own..... that just seems silly to me...

Banks

Banned
Of course, it still makes no sense to buy a case that costs as much or more than the cue you own..... that just seems silly to me...

That's how I've always felt. Kind of like buying a $500 safe to keep a $300 wad of cash. That's why my case has tape on the end. :eek:

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, why does it have to be leather.... a vinyl case will protect your cues just as well, for a lot cheaper price... heck, most folks can't tell the difference... I know I can't..... unless you look close and touch it to make sure....

well, I do have a vinyl one :D but only because I didn't have the $300+ to shell out on leather at the time (or now). But the leather is a buy it once item, as vinyl does tend to get banged up and start to look bad and fall apart over the span of 5 or 10 years. Something that wouldn't leave a scratch on hard leather can leave bad scratches or even rip vinyl.

Its like vacuum cleaners. I bought a Kirby finally because I got tired of replacing $150 vacuum cleaners every 2-3 years. The Kirby cost what 7 of them cost, but its also now 20 years old and flawless still.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Have and have nots

I guess I'm trying to wonder why someone would pay $209 for a McD, heck you could have bought a no name SP cue for $50, it's made of wood, it has a tip, why did you feel the need to spend $159 to much :rolleyes:

This thread is nothing more than an argument between the haves and have nots now...

With the logic stated above, why would you even buy the $50 cue, just use a house cue, it works.
Why even go out to the bar or hall to play, buy a cheap home table for a few hundred bucks and stay at home and play. You can invite anybody you want to come over and play, and also save money on the beverage/food/ and/or snacks you bought at the bar/hall. Hell, you'd recoup your "investment" on the table in a few months, at the most..
Why buy a car too, the bus, a bike, scooter, or your feet will eventually get you where you need to go.
Dont forget kmart or the thrift store for your clothes and shoes too. No need to buy a pair of quality shoes when the plastic Pro-Keds will work just fine..

This is a senseless argument that have been actively waged since the beginning of mankind, and will never have a winner. Those who can afford to buy something they want, for whatever reason, will always feel the need to justify it. Those who can't afford it will always try to chop those who can down. Its pure human nature, and every one of the 7 deadly sins can be applied here, Wrath, Greed, Sloth, Pride, Lust, Envy, and Gluttony..

If you want it and can afford it, FINE, buy it and leave it at that. You dont have to justify it to anyone.. If you cant afford it, or dont find it a necessary purchase, FINE, dont buy it. Supress the urge to knock others who did, its unnecessary, and a little immature..

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
well, I do have a vinyl one :D but only because I didn't have the $300+ to shell out on leather at the time (or now). But the leather is a buy it once item, as vinyl does tend to get banged up and start to look bad and fall apart over the span of 5 or 10 years. Something that wouldn't leave a scratch on hard leather can leave bad scratches or even rip vinyl.

Its like vacuum cleaners. I bought a Kirby finally because I got tired of replacing $150 vacuum cleaners every 2-3 years. The Kirby cost what 7 of them cost, but its also now 20 years old and flawless still.

I think the instroke vinyl cases will last longer than the leather cases... almost impossible to scratch, and if you do, who cares, it's a case, and taking bumps, bruises and scratches so you cue does not is why you bought it.

Maybe JB will chime in here... but man, the vinyl is commercial grade.... like a bus seat... it will prolly outlive you :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

You can get great protection for $20-$30. If you want more capacity and accessory storage then you to spend a little more but you can get all you need for less than $100 most of the time.

Everything above that is just desire. A well made leather case is something that will last a life time and beyond with moderate care and 10-20 years or more with shitty care. It is one of those items that you treasure or you put it in the closet and someday someone discovers it and they clean it up and they treasure it.

As for vinyl, upholstery grade vinyl can last a long time and also have the same feeling as leather. It does break down faster than leather and is more susceptible to things like sunlight, extreme cold, and solvents. The thing with vinyl (and leather) is that there are dozens of ways to make it and all those ways don't fit all uses. Some companies use the wrong type for cue cases and it's not really tough enough to last a long time.

A general rule is that the tougher the material is the more expensive it is. And companies can get very penny pinching. (ad to follow, stop reading now)

We use polyurethane vinyl, this is what's used on car seats, shoes, couches and any application that calls for tough and pliable material that feels and acts like leather. In fact the automakers use this exclusively when they have to exactly match the leather parts of the seat. The leather part is ususally where your ass goes and sometimes your back, the rest of the seat is often vinyl but you would never know that by touch and feel. It's in the fine print and they will tell you if you ask.

Anyway yes, everything above $100 is pretty much luxury and desire. Some of it worth the money paid and some of it not so much in my opinion, like everything in life pretty much. Which would you rather have, a $500,000 dollar McMansion in a subdivision built our of 2x4s or a modest brick 3 bedroom ranch house on a sweet piece of property with a private lake for $500,000? Everyone finds "value" in different places.

As for the original question, why buy a cue over $300? I think I said this before but it's actually difficult these days to buy a bad cue. Even the $100 cues are decent. I think if some production cues and some custom cues were taped up most players could not tell the difference.

BUT

There is a certain magic that comes when you find a cue that fits you. The balance is just right, the cue glides effortlessly and the hit is satisfying. You can move the ball without struggling. When you find that cue, be it production or custom, for $100 or $10,000 then you know what it feels like to be one with the game. That sounds silly but it's been my experience with a few cues that they are simply more pleasurable to play with. Why that is is a matter of intense debate. Fact is that there are hundreds of makers and thousands of brands and you have a lifetime to find the cue you love.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I once had a lady come to my booth and buy a 479 dollar pink and white Instroke leather case. she pulled her 25 dollar cue out of her 15 dollar pink case and put her single cue into the 3x7 instroke

Ha ha ha ... Just the other day I got hassled for putting my Lambros into a no-name cheap-ass case :thumbup:

Dave <--- buys a new $50 case every 2 to 3 years when they wear out

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If i want to spend $1000 on a cue, how is that an issue for you?
And why settle at $300? Why not $100? a pool cue is just a wooden stick as you said...

There i a million different ways to answer your question.
The obvious ones being cue weight, length, joint and pin type, shaft, ferrulle and tip.
We all like different things and the comercial cue makers have certain limitations in that respect.
Then there is pride of ownership, appreciation of great craftmanship and in some cases it's simply an investement like buying good art.

Im not sure where people draw the line between playing cue and collectors cue aka: shelf queen.. But i have seen guys play with some quite expensive ques, and if that is what makes them happy - more powha to you!

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First let me admit, I didn't read ALL 11 pages of this thread.
I'll just throw my $0.02 in. If you are a beginner/intermediate player and really
haven't figured out if you're even going to continue playing this game, then
there is absolutely NO reason for you to spend a ton of money on a cue. You
could be a very accomplished player (T.A.) who has too many flawed characteristics
to cover in a short novel, one of which is you're a habitual gambler and will never
be able to put together enough money to afford a cue comensurate with your
playing ability, so for whatever the reason, there are certain players who should
never spend a lot of money on a cue. Then there are the guys who have jumped
in this game with both feet (myself) and it's their passion in life. If their ability
warrants it, then there is no reason NOT to buy a custom cue. To those players,
I would simply state: "You'll never win the Indy 500 driving a '69 rusted out VW".
To the guys who will say "a good player can play with a broomstick", see the above
statement. And lastly, there are the guys who have more money than anyone with
maybe the exception of Bill Gates or a Shiek in Saudi Arabia. It doesn't matter
whether they can play or not, they will buy the best of the best custom cues
simply because they can, and to them it's a form of art. To them I would say,
(and I have) buy the cue, take a picture of it, and then hang the picture on
the wall, and sell the cue to someone who will use it for what it is intended for,
playing pool. Nothing chaps my ass more than someone who buys a highend cue
and they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a yacht. But it's someone just like
that, that gave me my start in cue buying/selling, (thanks Danny). I had a buddy
some 20 years ago who bought a $4500 Cognoscenti and 2 months later sold me
that cue for $700 because he couldn't make 2 balls in a row. I played with that
cue for a year and traded it for a new South West and $2500. So that's how I
was introduced to South West cues and they've been one of my favorites ever
since. Although the first custom I bought was a Runde made Schon in 1985.
And that my friends, is my take on why you should or shouldn't buy an expensive cue...

I new this thread was going to bring heat. That's a nice image, but is that necessary.
As to the original question. The reason would be, to get the cue the builders would like to make but cant. Hardly anybody could afford them. That's why they make the 300 dollar watered down versions so people have something decent to play with. OH, and the most important reason to get a cue over 300$ THERE MADE IN AMERICA.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I new this thread was going to bring heat. That's a nice image, but is that necessary.
As to the original question. The reason would be, to get the cue the builders would like to make but cant. Hardly anybody could afford them. That's why they make the 300 dollar watered down versions so people have something decent to play with. OH, and the most important reason to get a cue over 300$ THERE MADE IN AMERICA.

You do know that there are lots of cues over $300 that are not made in America right? great cues at that.

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do know that there are lots of cues over $300 that are not made in America right? great cues at that.

Of course there are, and they're probably great people too. Why would someone get a cue from there when the best ones are made from here.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why a $300+ cue?... Because no one will sell me their Balabushka for $299.

Seriously though, does it bother people that "we" have expensive cues? A Toyota Corolla does the same as a Ferrari F40, but I bet that Ferrari is a hell of lot more fun.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, maybe it is my lack of experience...but from watching pool on tv, at the halls and asking questions. It seems there is no real advantage to buying really expensive cues.

I am just hoping someone could steer me in the right direction regarding cue sticks.

Maybe explain the benefits that some of these custom cue makers or really expensive cues have over the cheaper production cues.

you could bang fat ugly chicks instead of trying to get with good looking girls. end results the same you still end up having had sex.

people want nice thigns. that's just the way people are