The Glove - greatest invention since chalk!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Back in the day it seemed like the only pro you ever saw wearing one was Jeanette. As a kid I got one so I wouldn't have to wash my hands before I played, but after awhile I found I didn't like the feel and my Sir Joseph fell apart anyway. Now it seems using gloves is more socially acceptable and playing in my leagues Summer session I wanted to have an option in dealing with humidity that didn't involved e powder or washing my hands all the time. I bought a Poison glove from Seyberts. It has open fingers, its red and black, and has a good feel. I still prefer going natural but its good in a pinch.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I stopped using a glove because of all the Michael Jackson jokes and because I couldn't grip the cloth/Simonis.

Can someone provide a link where I can get a "glove" that lends itself to a smooth glide with the cue with as little "glove" as possible?

Luxury:

Try Nancy Cote's FingerSlides product:

http://cuezctc.com/pb/wp_f4252fcd/wp_f4252fcd.html

I'm not normally a glove person, but like you, there are times when a glove is just plain darn necessary because of humid conditions (as JB states). The issue with a glove that I experience is loss of feel/grip with the table surface -- one feels as if they're "bridging through a prophylactic" or some such.

The FingerSlides product covers as minimal parts of the hand as are necessary for the cue to glide upon. And, Nancy can custom make these for you, where, e.g. if you prefer the index and/or thumb tips to be covered, she can extend the fabric and seal it off, sealing those fingertips for you! You just have to ask.

Here are the sizing instructions:

http://cuezctc.com/pb/wp_0860addd/wp_0860addd.html

Additionally, I just plain like the fabric she uses. It has a more "cotton-like" feel than, say, Sir Joseph gloves, which feel like a friction-ey nylon sock. And you can't beat the fact that you can feel the table -- no parts of the finger slides are in contact with the table.

Finally, they just plain look cool -- sort of like MMA gloves. ;)

-Sean

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Most of my life I played without a glove, washing my hands frequently, powdering my hands and fingers to whatever extent was necessary.

Schmitty suggested I use a glove. I tried it for a month or so and "missed the feel" of the wood in my hand. (Ok, go ahead with the wisecracks. It's the Fourth go ahead and celebrate.)

I went back to the naked look and everything was fine. Several months later I saw John and he asked whether I had gone over to the other side and I said no. He then told me that it sometimes takes a couple of months before you get totally used to the glove and that I should give it another try. He reiterated about the benefits of the glove (same friction all of the time • clean glove with a spare • smooth consistency etc). I forced myself to use the glove for 3 months and now it has been quite a few years since I started using the glove and doubt if I will ever go back to the natural look. Even when I go someplace that is dry, I bring a couple of gloves with me because I just like playing with the glove.

JoeyA

cyork2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So on the cue slides - do you ever have problems where the cue is coming across bare skin? Also with no finger tips to grab hold of when taking them off, how hard are they to get off?

I hate the way gloves look... but after I tried one years ago I decided the action was worth it and have worn one ever since. Now I'm sporting a skeleton hand glove because if your going to look stupid you might as well own it.

Craig

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
So on the cue slides - do you ever have problems where the cue is coming across bare skin? Also with no finger tips to grab hold of when taking them off, how hard are they to get off?

I hate the way gloves look... but after I tried one years ago I decided the action was worth it and have worn one ever since. Now I'm sporting a skeleton hand glove because if your going to look stupid you might as well own it.

Craig

Craig:

Do you instead mean the FingerSlides? Yes, the "stock" ones (where all the fingertips are exposed) have the issue with a "proper" closed bridge having certain parts of the fingertips (e.g. the index finger) in contact with the shaft wood.

That's why I mentioned you need to let Nancy know that you want your set customized such that certain fingertips are closed-off and sealed (e.g. the index fingertip and the thumb tip).

Other than that, no, no problems with exposed skin contact, nor with taking them off. In fact, they are quite easy to remove, because Nancy makes them where the seam (where she stitches the cloth together to form the tube) is easy to grab to pull them off.

Hope that helps,
-Sean

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Most of my life I played without a glove, washing my hands frequently, powdering my hands and fingers to whatever extent was necessary.

Schmitty suggested I use a glove. I tried it for a month or so and "missed the feel" of the wood in my hand. (Ok, go ahead with the wisecracks. It's the Fourth go ahead and celebrate.)

I went back to the naked look and everything was fine. Several months later I saw John and he asked whether I had gone over to the other side and I said no. He then told me that it sometimes takes a couple of months before you get totally used to the glove and that I should give it another try. He reiterated about the benefits of the glove (same friction all of the time • clean glove with a spare • smooth consistency etc). I forced myself to use the glove for 3 months and now it has been quite a few years since I started using the glove and doubt if I will ever go back to the natural look. Even when I go someplace that is dry, I bring a couple of gloves with me because I just like playing with the glove.

JoeyA
Joey - Which brand do you use?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I poo-poed them for the longest time, but one hot humid night when the A/C was on the blink, I sprung for a glove.

I don't leave home without one.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as much as I like the Predator Gloves having two fingers that are not covered with the glove, Why wouldn't the other two fingers have less fingertip cloth so as not make a player struggle gripping the cloth.

The glove that they make under their "Poision" brand is pretty much the same, only the finger tips have been cut off (figuratively speaking) and its black and red... You might like that one a bit better.

Finger slides are good and could be the perfect solution. However, for me, they are a bit of a pain to put on and take off.

Forum member banker123 sells a good quality glove. Has a Velcro enclosure at the wrist, a pad on the palm so it doesn't wear a hole where your bridge hand slides against the cloth, and it has no finger tips... In addition to letting you grip the cloth, I think that it makes the glove cooler, too. I wish the fingers were a bit longer, but I have pretty big hands. Overall, it's the best glove I've found, and it was a whole $10.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I think wearing gloves actually increase the chance that chalk dust coloring the shafts. Since the gloves trapped a lot of chalk dust during play, and every time your slide the shaft along the fingers, the dust got rubbed in. That's why I wash my gloves first chance I've got and keep at least 2 extras in my case.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always hated gloves. Very rarely wore them. Over here in China it's ridiculously hot and humid where I live and central air is rare.

So I have have been wearing a glove most of the time and I realized they are perfect. No matter what I feel like, how wet the cue is, if I just took a drink, whatever the cue slides perfectly through the glove.

I think Sir Joesph was the first ones and that brand has been shamelessly copied. Over here they provide gloves like chalk. Still I want to to register my new love affair with gloves! They slide and make great fashion accessories. :)
I am pretty sure a glove called "Sure Shot" was the first on the market. It was a three fingered glove just like the Sir Joseph's. This would be around 1980. I know because I used to sell them. They had a cool display and each glove came in a little plastic 8 ball that you popped open to get out the glove. It was a nice display. I sold a lot of them I think just because of the display.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I bought a lot of Finger Wraps to take to a tournament not long ago. I was busy and wasn't able to sell more than a few pair.

I did give away quite a few. I actually got used to using them and liked them.

I had given a pair to a friend and he had the same experience as myself.

They tend to stretch and you spend more time pulling them back into place than concentrating on the game that you are playing.

Its too bad that they couldn't have been made from a material that didn't stretch as they
do work well when they fit you properly.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a lot of Finger Wraps to take to a tournament not long ago. I was busy and wasn't able to sell more than a few pair.

I did give away quite a few. I actually got used to using them and liked them.

I had given a pair to a friend and he had the same experience as myself.

They tend to stretch and you spend more time pulling them back into place than concentrating on the game that you are playing.

Its too bad that they couldn't have been made from a material that didn't stretch as they
do work well when they fit you properly.

Terry:

"FingerWraps" are the knock-off by an unscrupulous copycat. The genuine FingerSlides product by Nancy Cote doesn't have the issues of stretching out of shape.

-Sean

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luxury:

Try Nancy Cote's FingerSlides product:

http://cuezctc.com/pb/wp_f4252fcd/wp_f4252fcd.html

I'm not normally a glove person, but like you, there are times when a glove is just plain darn necessary because of humid conditions (as JB states). The issue with a glove that I experience is loss of feel/grip with the table surface -- one feels as if they're "bridging through a prophylactic" or some such.

The FingerSlides product covers as minimal parts of the hand as are necessary for the cue to glide upon. And, Nancy can custom make these for you, where, e.g. if you prefer the index and/or thumb tips to be covered, she can extend the fabric and seal it off, sealing those fingertips for you! You just have to ask.

Here are the sizing instructions:

http://cuezctc.com/pb/wp_0860addd/wp_0860addd.html

Additionally, I just plain like the fabric she uses. It has a more "cotton-like" feel than, say, Sir Joseph gloves, which feel like a friction-ey nylon sock. And you can't beat the fact that you can feel the table -- no parts of the finger slides are in contact with the table.

Finally, they just plain look cool -- sort of like MMA gloves. ;)

-Sean

Thanks! I just ordered a tan fingerslide.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as much as I like the Predator Gloves having two fingers that are not covered with the glove, Why wouldn't the other two fingers have less fingertip cloth so as not make a player struggle gripping the cloth.

poison has a finger less glove that is made really well and fits tight

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after 9 months of playing with a glove i am more or less stuck with it.

i used to powder my hand earlier when it got humid. it was a lot of hassle, it would end up on the cloth, the butt of the cue, etc. so i got a glove, skin colored, so it wouldn't affect my sight (i have kind of a snooker stance). the consistency when using a glove is absolutely superior. every shot feels the same, whether the hands are sweaty, the shaft is dirty and/or have dents.

however, it was not the same feeling as playing without a glove. especially the feel of the cloth and more importantly, the rail. with only two of the fingers "naked" there was a real issue with the slooping brunswick gc rail, and this actually cost me a cash game once. i was gonna throw the glove down the bin when someone told me to cut off the tips of the glove. i did this with the middle finger and the night after i won 2k...

so all in all

pros:

- consistency
- the time spent fiddling with powder, washing of hands, shaft cleaning, etc. can be spent on full time concentration
- looped bridge shots becomes easier, even when under big pressure

cons:

- these gloves fall apart. the seams will loosen and the texture will wear down. i use sir joseph, the only one i know have skin color. bad quality.
- this is a piece of apparel that makes hustling real hard. but so does powder, fancy cues etc..
- even with skin color gloves, folds, shadows in the glove can disrupt your aim. maybe getting a smaller size helps.

i won't put the michael jackson-issue on the list because i have had no mean comments about my glove yet. i have a background in powerlifting and i suppose my size contributes a bit ;) but there are other people in the club using gloves too, and i don't recall people commenting on their gloves either. maybe it's the SVB-effect (or rather the svb-earl-schmidt-davis-the list goes on-effect)...

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after 9 months of playing with a glove i am more or less stuck with it.

i used to powder my hand earlier when it got humid. it was a lot of hassle, it would end up on the cloth, the butt of the cue, etc. so i got a glove, skin colored, so it wouldn't affect my sight (i have kind of a snooker stance). the consistency when using a glove is absolutely superior. every shot feels the same, whether the hands are sweaty, the shaft is dirty and/or have dents.

however, it was not the same feeling as playing without a glove. especially the feel of the cloth and more importantly, the rail. with only two of the fingers "naked" there was a real issue with the slooping brunswick gc rail, and this actually cost me a cash game once. i was gonna throw the glove down the bin when someone told me to cut off the tips of the glove. i did this with the middle finger and the night after i won 2k...

so all in all

pros:

- consistency
- the time spent fiddling with powder, washing of hands, shaft cleaning, etc. can be spent on full time concentration
- looped bridge shots becomes easier, even when under big pressure

cons:

- these gloves fall apart. the seams will loosen and the texture will wear down. i use sir joseph, the only one i know have skin color. bad quality.
- this is a piece of apparel that makes hustling real hard. but so does powder, fancy cues etc..
- even with skin color gloves, folds, shadows in the glove can disrupt your aim. maybe getting a smaller size helps.

i won't put the michael jackson-issue on the list because i have had no mean comments about my glove yet. i have a background in powerlifting and i suppose my size contributes a bit ;) but there are other people in the club using gloves too, and i don't recall people commenting on their gloves either. maybe it's the SVB-effect (or rather the svb-earl-schmidt-davis-the list goes on-effect)...

I've always hated gloves... Until recently, I like to be loud, so I got a bright red glove to try out. Humidity is a big problem in Louisiana, so the glove when it gets funky in the room. I picked up the same brand, Sir Joseph. It's not the best fit in the world, but it makes do. I need to find one that fits well. I have a feeling it won't last very long, before it starts to frey and fall apart.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I've always hated gloves... Until recently, I like to be loud, so I got a bright red glove to try out. Humidity is a big problem in Louisiana, so the glove when it gets funky in the room. I picked up the same brand, Sir Joseph. It's not the best fit in the world, but it makes do. I need to find one that fits well. I have a feeling it won't last very long, before it starts to frey and fall apart.

The Sure Shot is a little tighter and a little smaller than most of the other gloves I have tried.

Primarily I use "THE GLOVE" which has a similar fit as St. Joseph but maybe a smidgeon tighter. I keep two or three pair in my pocket for a tournament because all gloves get dirty and damp, although they still perform decently even when damp and dirty.

JoeyA