Unknown "monster" players

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me throw another name out there that some may have heard of(Weldon "Jr" Rogers). Also one of the very best one-handed players ever. before you ask, yes he has two hands.
I met Wldon when I was young, about 25 and noticed everyone got quiet when he walked in back in Denver. He got ito a 9 ball game but I just do not remeber who it was.
He and CJ were pretty tight and he could shed a lot more light on him.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
My teacher Andy Toth was a MONSTER and basically unknown outside the PA/NY/VA/DE area. He was maybe a ball below the top flight Pros. Many a day I sat working at the pool room watching him play 50, 60, 80 no count! it was sick!! Everyone sais he lost it when he lost to Sigel in the final of our yearly 14.1 event. He had Sigel like 147 to I dunno 50, and lost. It was over from there I guess.

Anyone losing to Sigel shouldn't let that get them down. He's one of the best the game has ever known.....

Jake Popiano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great player on a bar box maybe on any table was Don McCoy think from the quad cities. Only seen him play once and played lights out on crappy old cloth on a valley bar table.

Don McCoughy from Des Moines Ia,mid 70's world 9ballto champ-look it up-he owned several pool halls in the DesMoines area amd tough Scott Frost the game of onepocket-how strong is that

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Don McCoy

Don McCoughy from Des Moines Ia,mid 70's world 9ballto champ-look it up-he owned several pool halls in the DesMoines area amd tough Scott Frost the game of onepocket-how strong is that

Only played Don once, in NE on ,9' GC's his wife was there, and he or I had to play Medina for the Hill. Wonderful man to play match play with. He and I talked later and he was talking about the opening of a new pool room. He did take pictures while there he mentioned, to put in his new room. We were playing at Madsens in Lincoln, had to be around 90-91.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eugene Browning. Period. Whatever happened to that guy?

I saw Eugene play quiet a bit in the mid to late 80's. He was a monster on the Bar Box. He played a buddy of mine that I ran with during that time, Steve Downey from Gadsden, Alabama. Steve owned a place called the Players Pub in Gadsden. Steve was also a monster on the BB and they played for about 8 hours several times and came out about even. I remember one set Eugene was ahead 7-0 before Steve went to the table. I had half of Steve's action and was a little concerned. He looked at me and said don't worry, I'll get to the table. He put together an 8 pack and went ahead 8-7. It was fun watching those 2 play. Haven't seen or heard about Eugene since that time. I think Steve still lives in Gadsden and probably doesn't play much anymore due to getting up there in age.
Great players.....

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Eugene play quiet a bit in the mid to late 80's. He was a monster on the Bar Box. He played a buddy of mine that I ran with during that time, Steve Downey from Gadsden, Alabama. Steve owned a place called the Players Pub in Gadsden. Steve was also a monster on the BB and they played for about 8 hours several times and came out about even. I remember one set Eugene was ahead 7-0 before Steve went to the table. I had half of Steve's action and was a little concerned. He looked at me and said don't worry, I'll get to the table. He put together an 8 pack and went ahead 8-7. It was fun watching those 2 play. Haven't seen or heard about Eugene since that time. I think Steve still lives in Gadsden and probably doesn't play much anymore due to getting up there in age.
Great players.....

Eugene still plays. Lives in Houston,Texas.
He still plays at a high level for his age also. I've not been in the pool rooms much in the past year but was in there at one tourney when Eugene played a kid that's over here from Sweeden playin pool. They broke even playing on a Diamond Bar Table.
I'd say Eugene is mid 50s to mid 60s. He's active on Facebook a lot.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I busted almost every player that I played out of the ones mentioned on this forum. The only one I did not bust was Lots a Papa. He was a little to strong foe me on the bar table. Tommy sanders, Gabby, Liel Gay, Reid Pierce, Chino, I busted while traveling on the road back in the 80's. Most of the players mentioned would not play because they said I played to slow but they knew I would play high. I broke even with Vernon Eliot, Eugene Browning and a few others. Life was awesome back before the cell phone.

Gulyassy, was wondering if u ever played a buddy of mine out of Gadsden, Alabama. His name was Steve Downey. Nickname was Deputy Dog. He owned a little bar called the Players Pub. Reason I ask is that I saw him play Eugene Browning several times and they played about even. Steve was a world beater just like Eugene during the 80's. Loving all these ole stories.....:thumbup:

pokeandhope

Registered
He wasn't a nobody, but he wasn't as well known as Strickland or Archer. Never held incredible pro status; but definitely played at pro speed. I sat in a chair at amsterdam in NYC a few years ago and watched Ginky (George San Souci) play the strongest pool I have ever seen. He was playing a guy races to 5 for 250 and when he beat him four straight for a grand he said " You should meet me tuesday for a 250 dollar lesson because your patterns suck! " . I never laughed so hard in my life. Ginky never spoke a word before that.... it was classic.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eugene still plays. Lives in Houston,Texas.
He still plays at a high level for his age also. I've not been in the pool rooms much in the past year but was in there at one tourney when Eugene played a kid that's over here from Sweeden playin pool. They broke even playing on a Diamond Bar Table.
I'd say Eugene is mid 50s to mid 60s. He's active on Facebook a lot.

I think Eugene is about 56. When he was right no one had to beat him on a barbox, and he could give up big weight to good players and outrun it better than anyone I had seen.. Steve Downey played good but he played the 7 under Eugene when both played their top speed. I think Steve's best game was one pocket and I knew his game well.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
Frank Jonik

Anybody ever see "Bionic" Frank Jonik from Sudbury,Ontario Canada play on a 9ft'er, if you did you would remember. I know I do!

Island Drive

Silver Member
Anybody ever see "Bionic" Frank Jonik from Sudbury,Ontario Canada play on a 9ft'er, if you did you would remember. I know I do!

I think I saw Jeff Melton and he play on a Snooker table in Wichita. Stocky, dirty blonde hair.?

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
I played Frank Jonik 6 red snooker (his game) for four straight evenings and then I managed to get sick before the fourth evening.

I won every session except for that last night. We busted him and his backers three nights running (he kept coming up with new backers from somewhere??). I wasn't even going to play that last night but the guys at Butch's in Springfield begged me to come in. I relented but told them they were going to see me get my butt whooped and if they bet any money they were going to lose. Nothing I could say made a difference.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We battled many, many times

I think Eugene is about 56. When he was right no one had to beat him on a barbox, and he could give up big weight to good players and outrun it better than anyone I had seen.. Steve Downey played good but he played the 7 under Eugene when both played their top speed. I think Steve's best game was one pocket and I knew his game well.

I still talk to Eugene on FaceBook.....he doesn't seem to play much anymore. We battled many, many times on the big table AND the bar tables in Atlanta, Alabama, and a few other states over the years. I ended up giving him the "Call 8" and it was tough action. He was a very solid player with few weaknesses. Robert Turner played a lot during the same time period and also a player named Mike Johnson who was another top notch bar player......we all played a lot with Reid Pierce, "Country Calvin" and Robert Stovall.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eugene browning stayed in our town for about 6mos in the 90s and he couldn't run 4 balls...for about 4 months!

Then I saw him play the best pool I have ever seen played.

He really learned fast. :eek :

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I saw Jeff Melton and he play on a Snooker table in Wichita. Stocky, dirty blonde hair.?

They brought Frank in to Hard Times, Bellflower to play liability snooker on the 6 x 12 in the early 90's.

We were playing $50 a point for around a week or so and he made it to the last session and beat the game for around 6k (his backer told me).

This was a fairly amazing feat since it was a trap table. Denny Searcy and Jose Parica were the only guys I saw play that well the first time on the table.

The backer left town and Frank stayed and went busted playing one pocket. Even lost his snooker cue to Hawaiian Jimmy.

Island Drive

Silver Member
They brought Frank in to Hard Times, Bellflower to play liability snooker on the 6 x 12 in the early 90's.

We were playing $50 a point for around a week or so and he made it to the last session and beat the game for around 6k (his backer told me).

This was a fairly amazing feat since it was a trap table. Denny Searcy and Jose Parica were the only guys I saw play that well the first time on the table.

The backer left town and Frank stayed and went busted playing one pocket. Even lost his snooker cue to Hawaiian Jimmy.

That's ironic, Frank got so mad after Melton beat em, he snapped his shaft and threw the butt in the trash. I retrieved it, put a shaft on it and made $80. The guy had a frikkin' temper that's for sure.

scottyjoe145

scottyjoe145
Silver Member
Anybody ever heard of Danny Green from Jackson, Tn.? He's a better golfer than he is pool player, but he'll take your money at either.