who did Earl beat in his gambling days?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he suggests in his documentary that he conquered Houston and that all the best players in the country passed through

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have asked the same question over the years to many top pros...Hopkins, Sigel, Varner, Rempe etc... since Earl is one of my favs...

They all say the same thing....when Earl was in high gear, give up! he just will not miss, and he can bury you in a matter of minutes.

No one loved the game of 9ball played at a world class level then Earl!! IMO

G.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he suggests in his documentary that he conquered Houston and that all the best players in the country passed through

I saw him play Mike Sigel for $2000. 7 ahead. This would have been about 1982 in Tampa. He had Sigel stuck but Sigel came back and at one point when they were even Earl wanted to quit and Sigel agreed. Sigel would have beaten him if they kept playing I am sure. It was late and they both had to play the next day in the tournament. Sigel said in ear shot of Earl that Earl could not win and he would play anytime. Earl kind of just slid away without comment.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
he was beating everyone at age 20

Earl was one of the top rated money players of the early 80s.

I was running around gambling at the same time, but was not at Earl's level (I'm 4 years younger and was only 16/17).....he was beating everyone at age 20 and gave "Lil Al" the 6 Ball in Dallas (at Rusty's on NW HWY) and won - he also gave top players like James Christopher, Rusty Brandimiere and Swanee the "Wild 8" and won in Houston.....he also played many of the champion players of that time (Buddy Hall, Sigel, Jimmy Reid)....I don't know the outcomes of these matches, I was hearing about them "second hand".

There was a lot of action back then and Earl's forte was giving up weight to weaker players.....it wasn't uncommon for him to give up the 7/8/9 and the Break on a bar table and win against weak short stops.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was running around gambling at the same time, but was not at Earl's level (I'm 4 years younger and was only 16/17).....he was beating everyone at age 20 and gave "Lil Al" the 6 Ball in Dallas (at Rusty's on NW HWY) and won - he also gave top players like James Christopher, Rusty Brandimiere and Swanee the "Wild 8" and won in Houston.....he also played many of the champion players of that time (Buddy Hall, Sigel, Jimmy Reid)....I don't know the outcomes of these matches, I was hearing about them "second hand".

There was a lot of action back then and Earl's forte was giving up weight to weaker players.....it wasn't uncommon for him to give up the 7/8/9 and the Break on a bar table and win against weak short stops.

these are the gems that can get lost in time and the new upcoming lovers of the game never hear about!

Hey CJ.....write a book! :)

G.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hard to believe he got any action back then, he was horrible. Yelling at people and acting out. I saw him get thrown out of one pool room where they called the police, and this was during a tournament. He stood outside on the side walk after being thrown out screaming at the owner. Then he began calling on the phone like every five minutes. How do you act like that and not get yourself killed?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I'm sorry...

If he was giving up the 7 out and the breaks on a barbox and winning, he WASN"T playing short stops...

Jaden

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to believe he got any action back then, he was horrible. Yelling at people and acting out. I saw him get thrown out of one pool room where they called the police, and this was during a tournament. He stood outside on the side walk after being thrown out screaming at the owner. Then he began calling on the phone like every five minutes. How do you act like that and not get yourself killed?
i saw Earl play many times in gambling matches and he never acted like that

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i saw Earl play many times in gambling matches and he never acted like that

I think a lot of people who act out pick their spots. I saw him do it a number of time in tournaments back then. Insulting spectators and the guy he is playing if anything goes wrong. Raking the balls off the table, banging his cue. Maybe he is a little more controlled gambling. A lot of the stuff people see him doing now though he did 30 years ago also.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he also makes reference to "calling guys out"

well you don't call out shortstops to offer spots so who was he calling out? Buddy? Efren? both those guys would played him for any amount

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he also makes reference to "calling guys out"

well you don't call out shortstops to offer spots so who was he calling out? Buddy? Efren? both those guys would played him for any amount

When Earl hits that gear, NOBODY can fade that.

Watch the 2nd day of the Hong Kong challenge match to see why Efren was down 17 games, he was helpless.

Not to discredit Efren (played great) but there wouldn't have been a "comeback" if Earl didn't self-implode. Especially from that large a deficit.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he was giving up the 7 out and the breaks on a barbox and winning, he WASN"T playing short stops...

Jaden

It wasnt on a barbox but when Ginky was Ginky- he got the 7 and the breaks from Efren and they broke even. Efren then offered him the 6 out without the breaks and Ginky declined. The TOP guy in gear can give a lot of weight even to other pros.

It's been said forever- It doesn't matter what weight you get when you never shoot

Last edited:

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
When Earl hits that gear, NOBODY can fade that.

Watch the 2nd day of the Hong Kong challenge match to see why Efren was down 17 games, he was helpless.

Not to discredit Efren (played great) but there wouldn't have been a "comeback" if Earl didn't self-implode. Especially from that large a deficit.

To Efren's credit, he played incredible throughout and had to fade his own weak and unsuccessful break. When Efren was actually at the table he played great and *still* was down 17 games.

Nonetheless, as you said, Earl would have won if he didn't implode near the end. Even in the last few games he could have taken it if not for that. A pretty sad ending to an otherwise unbelievably high standard in a long race.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wasnt on a barbox but when Ginky was Ginky- he got the 7 and the breaks from Efren and they broke even. Efren then offered him the 6 out without the breaks and Ginky declined. The TOP guy in gear can give a lot of weight even to other pros.

It's been said forever- It doesn't matter what weight you get when you never shoot

It is almost impossible to comprehend how well the top few players play, outside of tournaments.

Tournament pool for those guys is like running around with their shoes tied together. Get them in a gambling match that is hours long and they can hit full speed, one that results in opponents not shooting a decent out-shot for a loooong time.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL @ giving a shortstop the breaks and a ball on the bar table. Never happening.

I'm a sucker(nowhere near a shortstop) and I'd take that game from anyone breathing air and for any amount they can post.