So what's the deal with glove hatred in the pool room?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a couple Poison billiards gloves, I think they look pretty cool, they keep me from getting chalk on myself/clothes, I don't have to run my hand over a chalk block that thousands of people have touched and probably the best part is I've noticed a slight improvement on shot control.

Yet it's commonly shunned, first I've seen on these forums and then in actual pool rooms, etc. So what's the deal? Why do people hate them/the people wearing them so much?

Attempting to descry reasons for another player using a glove (or any other piece of pool-playing accoutrement)
is one thing, but to (negatively) criticize its use is quite another.

Do you realize when a player (or anyone within our industry) purchases an item, it is good for our sport in toto?
Should I even have to explain this? I personally don't use a glove, but if another wants to do so, so be it.
It's their dime.

Are many of you on here that uneducated and/or ignorant about the underpinnings of our industry? I think so.

Last edited:

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because those gloves are gay and useless.

Wash. Your. F*cking. Hands. Often. Then: dry them.

Congrats, you don't need a lame ass glove.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw wear a glove if it helps you. Who cares? If your poolroom is like mine most of the old dudes in there have a lot of old school experience so they think anything new or out of the box to try to help you improve your game is weird or unnecessary. Ignore them and be new school if it helps you.

Right on!. Don't care what everyone thinks. YOU CAN WEAR AN OVEN MITT IF IT HELPS!
I would razz your ass for that one though!

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because those gloves are gay and useless.

Wash. Your. F*cking. Hands. Often. Then: dry them.

Congrats, you don't need a lame ass glove.

Congrats on showing your stupidity, too bad it isn't a badge you want to wear. No matter how clean your hands are, it doesn't solve the problem of a sticky shaft. Even a freshly cleaned cue will become sticky very quick in a humid area. Stop giving mindless, attacking opinions and openly discuss would you?

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont see the need for a glove. imo its a gimmick. kudos to the inventor though, the gimmick sells. Keep your hands clean, keep your hands dry (towel, talc) problem solved.

The glove falls in the category of magnetic chalk holders, cue extensions, and what ever gizmo touted to improve your game.

but hey if you wanna rock a brightly colored 2 fingered glove while yielding your own pool cue with a chalk holder dangling outta your back pocket. As you stand next to your 3x7 case with break cue and jump cue sticking up outta the case, go for it. But yea expect the funny looks, especially if your not putting a 3 pack together.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Some pretty lame arguments against gloves on here. I have one. Dont use anymore since I found Q glide. BUT my brother still uses his because of sweaty hands. I wold LOVE to see someone give him flack! Last time for them lol.
It was said before. SVB. End of discussion
I also think they're great for kids learning a closed bridge. They can grip tight with no drag.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Dont see the need for a glove. imo its a gimmick. kudos to the inventor though, the gimmick sells. Keep your hands clean, keep your hands dry (towel, talc) problem solved.

The glove falls in the category of magnetic chalk holders, cue extensions, and what ever gizmo touted to improve your game.

but hey if you wanna rock a brightly colored 2 fingered glove while yielding your own pool cue with a chalk holder dangling outta your back pocket. As you stand next to your 3x7 case with break cue and jump cue sticking up outta the case, go for it. But yea expect the funny looks, especially if your not putting a 3 pack together.

I see you're listed as being from Northern Cal.

Ever play pool in Louisiana?

Doesn't it make sense that if a player has sweaty hands, whether it be from climate, genetics, whatever, that for some of these people a pool glove can keep the cue gliding through their fingers?

And that sometimes, powder just isn't enough?

I know all about this first hand and I hardly ever use a glove but when conditions warrant, it's right there in my bag.

You may not like or need one but I assure you, it isn't a gimmick.

best,
brian kc

Banks

Banned
I see you're listed as being from Northern Cal.

Ever play pool in Louisiana?

Doesn't it make sense that if a player has sweaty hands, whether it be from climate, genetics, whatever, that for some of these people a pool glove can keep the cue gliding through their fingers?

And that sometimes, powder just isn't enough?

I know all about this first hand and I hardly ever use a glove but when conditions warrant, it's right there in my bag.

You may not like or need one but I assure you, it isn't a gimmick.

best,
brian kc

I'd rather people use a glove than get talc all over the place and they don't dirty up the tables. Gloves serve a purpose, but I'm still going to make fun of them. :D

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on showing your stupidity, too bad it isn't a badge you want to wear. No matter how clean your hands are, it doesn't solve the problem of a sticky shaft. Even a freshly cleaned cue will become sticky very quick in a humid area. Stop giving mindless, attacking opinions and openly discuss would you?

"stupidity"

"mindless"

Now "openly, discuss, would you?"

congrats on the POT MEET KETTLE butthurt personal attack irony award for the year.

it doesn't solve the problem of a sticky shaft.

Shafts are not magic fly traps. If they are sticky, it is because they are not clean.

Protip for any window lickers like yourself out there: clean hands are the key to a slick shaft and clean swift stroke. Gloves, while less messy than powder, are simply gimmicks.

Humidity has NOTHING to do with it. Gee, why would a glove make your hand slide through so much faster, even in HUMID conditions? Durrrr....maybe because the surface has less contact/grip with the shaft? Like your hands might have if they were frigging clean??

Don't be a scrub using powder or a glove. Clean your shaft. Then WASH YOUR FRIGGING HANDS THOROUGHLY. Then DRY THEM. If your local pool hall has crappy paper towels, use a terry cloth towel (which you should carry in your case) to dry your hands and shaft. If it is humid, and you don't want to hit the pisser every 5 minutes, carry one of those amazing terry cloth towels in your case, just like pros use (gee, wonder why THEY use them?) Use it every time you get up to shoot. Congrats, you don't need a stupid glove.

Or buy a dumb glove, wear it. Dance around. Convince yourself this was an awesome purchase. Deride decades of actual pool player experience and knowledge. Have sweaty, nasty, unwashed hands...but a faaaaabulous pair of gloves.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Deride decades of actual pool player experience and knowledge.

So... when you have a lot of players on here that have at least, say, 30 years of pool playing experience saying they wear a glove, you're not deriding that, right?

Freddie <~~~ Florida and summer are glove seasons

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a guy at my pool hall that I do, buy or use the complete opposite as him. He has a glove....

He's the type that tries out every possible gimmick on the market, in the search of something to make him play better. He probably plays around a C standard but classes himself as a B+ player. He once made a comment after I missed a shot along the lines of he'd never miss a shot like that because of his glove. He's an utter ball bag, hence why I will never use a glove.

But that being said, here in Britain it doesn't get as hot and sticky as some places do overseas so I've never had to deal with a cue that sticks a lot.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
The love glove can prevent pregnancy.

That is all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400884598.566487.jpg

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"stupidity"

"mindless"

Now "openly, discuss, would you?"

congrats on the POT MEET KETTLE butthurt personal attack irony award for the year.

Shafts are not magic fly traps. If they are sticky, it is because they are not clean.

Protip for any window lickers like yourself out there: clean hands are the key to a slick shaft and clean swift stroke. Gloves, while less messy than powder, are simply gimmicks.

Humidity has NOTHING to do with it. Gee, why would a glove make your hand slide through so much faster, even in HUMID conditions? Durrrr....maybe because the surface has less contact/grip with the shaft? Like your hands might have if they were frigging clean??

Don't be a scrub using powder or a glove. Clean your shaft. Then WASH YOUR FRIGGING HANDS THOROUGHLY. Then DRY THEM. If your local pool hall has crappy paper towels, use a terry cloth towel (which you should carry in your case) to dry your hands and shaft. If it is humid, and you don't want to hit the pisser every 5 minutes, carry one of those amazing terry cloth towels in your case, just like pros use (gee, wonder why THEY use them?) Use it every time you get up to shoot. Congrats, you don't need a stupid glove.

Or buy a dumb glove, wear it. Dance around. Convince yourself this was an awesome purchase. Deride decades of actual pool player experience and knowledge. Have sweaty, nasty, unwashed hands...but a faaaaabulous pair of gloves.

Is it just me, or does everybody else thing this guy is a complete asshole. And if that bothers you, stop acting like one. You can give your opinion without being a turd. But being from California, I guess you can't help it. (With apologies to some others on here from California)

Edit. Sorry...I saw the wrong profile. You are not from California. My bad.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It shouldn't be a question of masculinity, or goofiness, or trying to imitate some other player great......it should always come down to what works for you as the player. Wear freakin ballet shoes or stiletto heels for all I care....whatever makes you a better player, use it.

I never wear a glove because it changes the frictional feel of a closed bridge which helps me determine the smoothness, straightness, speed and power of my stroke which naturally can change a lot depending upon the next shot. So for me, not using a glove and playing barehanded allows me to get more feedback but if a glove made me a better player, I'd wear 'em on both hands if that would help any.

So let your game do the talking and tell other they had better go walking or meet their fate. It's all about your game....how good are you.....gender, sexual preference, color, height, weight, religion, education, income, or anything else for that matter doesn't amount to a tinkers damn once the match starts....on the felt, everyone is equal.......just like Col. Colt did with the peacemaker revolver......all of us are equals in the game of billiards.

Matt B.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I use the fingerslides but I cute the flap with the thumb part off and it works beautifully. All I really needed was something on my pointer finger and middle finger. My hands sweat all the time and I have tried everything to washing my hands, using towels, powder, cleaning my cue before I go out, ect ect. These fingerslides give me just what I need. Big thank you to Nancy!

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a couple Poison billiards gloves, I think they look pretty cool, they keep me from getting chalk on myself/clothes, I don't have to run my hand over a chalk block that thousands of people have touched and probably the best part is I've noticed a slight improvement on shot control.

Yet it's commonly shunned, first I've seen on these forums and then in actual pool rooms, etc. So what's the deal? Why do people hate them/the people wearing them so much?

For Players who's hands tend to sweat a lot it's great no matter what level you play to. You can also buy one in "skin".. A very light beige color if the black bothers you. As has been said, there are some top players in the world wearing them. SVB is known for practicing 6 hours a day so he probably wears one rather then going for the powder all the time.