BCA entries appear to be way down---Rio effect??

VillageSlim

Registered
Last year Open event had 1085. Entries this year 710

Last year Open 9 Ball 341 This year 231

Last year Open teams had about 3400 players. This year about 2300.

Still 5 days left to enter before final deadline. The good news is there should be plenty of practice tables to get your $35 worth......

Any opinions as to the reason for the drop off??

Please correct me if my figures are wrong......Thanks

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
between the change of venue (Riv -->Rio) and the extra expense for staying at the Rio, and the change to July from May, I know of several regular attendees, including myself, that have not been back. Between work and my kids birthdays, July is literally the worst month for me to be gone ... I know it's impossible to please everyone and there were certainly many complainers towards the end of the Riv days ( I was not one of them and actually kinda liked the RIv) but i've heard way more complaints post move than I ever heard before.

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much more expensive is the Rio?

Also, travel in general is down. I'm getting great deals on beach houses/condos the last couple years. Lots of empty units, I wait til the week before we go and they really start discounting trying to fill the empty weeks.

I think its just the economy, plus general decline in pool.
July may conflict with some schedules, people tend to keep the summer open for kid stuff, but I would think there would be just as many that July would work better for than May.

I haven't been to the Rio yet, but used to go to the Riv for VNEA, it was fine by me.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year Open event had 1085. Entries this year 710

Last year Open 9 Ball 341 This year 231

Last year Open teams had about 3400 players. This year about 2300.

Still 5 days left to enter before final deadline. The good news is there should be plenty of practice tables to get your $35 worth......

Any opinions as to the reason for the drop off??

Please correct me if my figures are wrong......Thanks

I am sure the RIO has something to do with it. I was there last year for all 12 days and can tell you it was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the Riv. I heard lots of grumbling from others about the costs as well.

I am not saying it's the only reason for the drop off, but I am sure it's one of them.

Good Shootin,
B

PS I am not going to the BCA this year, not just for the extra costs though. If I were to go however it wouldn't be for the full 12 days. And that has to do with the cost.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not just the Rio. Vegas itself is way more expensive than a year ago. Flights cost more, fuel costs more, hotels cost more (though not sure about the Rio BCA rate, maybe that's still a deal?), food costs more.

Price inflation is killing the economy, and then when you land in Vegas, the local economy is nickel-and-diming you out of whatever is left in your wallet. I've made a pretty fair wage and the thought of traveling, even to Vegas, for anything leaves hurts my head.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
my business is down >40%. Year To Date.
and yes, Rio rates are much higher than Riviera.
plus, it's 118 degrees, vs 99.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The move from May to July did it for me.... I'm a cool weather kind of guy.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
It's not just the Rio. Vegas itself is way more expensive than a year ago. Flights cost more, fuel costs more, hotels cost more (though not sure about the Rio BCA rate, maybe that's still a deal?), food costs more.

Price inflation is killing the economy, and then when you land in Vegas, the local economy is nickel-and-diming you out of whatever is left in your wallet. I've made a pretty fair wage and the thought of traveling, even to Vegas, for anything leaves hurts my head.

we just got back from Vegas 3 wks ago.
and right now, as of their ad today: MIRAGE @ $55/night & $100 food credit
but the airfare has gone from $200 - $380 - $600....
it's the AIRLINES, who are KILLING IT!!!!

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its just the economy, plus general decline in pool.

I thinks this is the biggest reason. Anyone who thinks our economy is recovering for the middle class is delusional.

Billiards is strictly recreational, so until we see a real economic recovery I suspect all amateur pool events will continue to suffer.

As for the Rio, I actually like the place. I think it offers good value, and is a big step up over the Riveria.

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
Clarification

Change is always difficult and yes, general price inflation makes things tougher for many people. However, just to clarify, we still have stacks of entries that we have not yet processed and verified eligibility and many more will come between now and the June 16 deadline. As of right now, the numbers are relatively par with last year.

We hope to see all of you next month!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update!

Change is always difficult and yes, general price inflation makes things tougher for many people. However, just to clarify, we still have stacks of entries that we have not yet processed and verified eligibility and many more will come between now and the June 16 deadline. As of right now, the numbers are relatively par with last year.

We hope to see all of you next month!

The Rio offered discount rooms at $5 per night more than the old location, not bad. For lots of the guys coming out of Houston, July worked better because they could bring the kids, school is out.

For some reason all the Pro's I talked to liked the setup better too?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Who wants to go to a place that is almost as hot as He'll to play pool? I might as well stay home, and bake in Dry Heat AZ.

Think the change of time from cool weather May to hotter Summer has had some effect on people.

Plus the recession is effecting Pool. How many Pool Rooms and Bars that is where BCA League were player have close because of the recession.

Maybe people have woke up and realized even if they Win at the BCA thing, their expense to get there, and stay there, and eat!and return home don't justify the trip, or experience,

Las Vegas use to be a city to go vacation in that there were deal on room, food, and shows. Today the New Las Vegas has become expensive for rooms,meals, and shows.

Many reasons people are not come to Sin City for the BCA thing. JMHO

Last edited:

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There could be a lot of reasons why the entries are down. Ozzy mentioned that several haven't been processed yet but one thing has to be put into context, Pool is a BLUE COLLAR endeavor. Pool players don't have a lot of extra cash to stay at 4 star hotels. Although the room rates are close between the Rivera and Rio hotels the expenses are not. It is much more expensive to eat and drink at the Rio then the Riveria. This experiment, in my opinion, in moving the tournament to the Rio is a good one. The Rio is just a nicer hotel. It's just like moving the Bar Table Championships to the Grand Sierra from the Sands. Hopefully it works out.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I like the change to July. Much, much better.

Rio is not more expensive, Las Vegas is.

Can't wait,
randyg

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As Ozzy said, we are tracking fairly close to last year's numbers. We get a HUGE push on deadline dates and it takes a few days to go through the stacks we have in the office.

It takes some time to verify the entries and to get them processed. The final numbers wont be available for another 3 weeks or so.

We feel the move to the Rio was necessary.
Many people favor the July dates (no school, no Mother's Day conflict) etc.
There is not much difference between Mid May and Mid July weather - it is ALL too hot.
Some of the Northern climates have balked but we feel we can get them back through providing better events etc.

All pricing in Vegas is creeping up - the Rio rates are the same and we think we have some solutions for providing less expensive food options.

Last year was our first year in a new venue - we had a 73 mph storm that blew out electricity for 14 hours and had a lot of other issues that were out of our control.

We feel this year will be better than ever. The pro stuff is very exciting and actually more viable for us.

Mark Griffin