Is This a Legal Shot?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol definitely a foul. But I have heard rules in the past - even official league rules - that say if you jack up at more than a 45-degree angle, that shot is not a foul. Maybe that's what he's thinking.

It's also wrong, I think, to aim that shot to the left like a cut shot. A gap that small should throw almost identically to frozen balls. I doubt you can cut it at all, because the throw is going to cancel out any cut. I believe you'd need close to a quarter inch or so to cut it.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol definitely a foul. But I have heard rules in the past - even official league rules - that say if you jack up at more than a 45-degree angle, that shot is not a foul. Maybe that's what he's thinking.

It's also wrong, I think, to aim that shot to the left like a cut shot. A gap that small should throw almost identically to frozen balls. I doubt you can cut it at all, because the throw is going to cancel out any cut. I believe you'd need close to a quarter inch or so to cut it.

Try it. You can hit the ball without a double hit.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
His tip of the day will get you fouled. He definitely made a double hit. He pushed through the shot.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might be able to hit the shot without a double hit. Explain how you jack up, creating back spin, and the cb subsequently follows the ob down the table? Try separating the balls by 4"and then reproduce that shot.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cb followed the ob down the table but at a clearly slower speed. Not entirely sure it was a foul.

Imho, the fact it followed the cb line is the other dead give away. We're it not a double hit, the masse and angle would have caused the cb path to go to the left.

Further, the only way it follows the ob at all is if there is top spin. How do you produce tip spin, jacked up and hitting down on the cb?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might be able to hit the shot without a double hit. Explain how you jack up, creating back spin, and the cb subsequently follows the ob down the table? Try separating the balls by 4"and then reproduce that shot.

You are aware that you can hit down on the ball and produce top spin?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a double hit.

All you people screaming double hit and foul need to realize that the speed of the cue is also telling that it's not a bad hit. Watch this http://youtu.be/xqg5ZJyD0G4 and learn. The squirt cause by the left English forces the cue ball out of the way of the double hit.

Ignorance. Jacking up on the ball does not mean hitting the backside of the cue ball. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
All you people screaming double hit and foul need to realize that the speed of the cue is also telling that it's not a bad hit. Watch this http://youtu.be/xqg5ZJyD0G4 and learn. The squirt cause by the left English forces the cue ball out of the way of the double hit.

Ignorance. Jacking up on the ball does not mean hitting the backside of the cue ball. The two are not mutually exclusive.

He hit the cue ball twice with his stick. In the slow motion shot it is very obvious. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try it. You can hit the ball without a double hit.

You may be able to do it, but he didn't. The cue ball went down table with the object ball. The only reason it went a bit slower is that he had some draw on it.

And actually, although it may be possible to hit that shot without fouling, I'd say it's extremely difficult at that angle and with that small of a gap.

He even admits in the comments on YouTube that it was "probably" a foul after looking at it again, lol.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
No he didn't...

His tip of the day will get you fouled. He definitely made a double hit. He pushed through the shot.

If he had used straight follow, it would've double hit...

but jacked up with inside in this case it is not necessarily and double hit just because the cb goes forward...

Jaden

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well if you want to reference ignorance, you might want to note the Jewitt example used inside English and you may also note the path of the cue ball after contact. It may take you half a dozen viewings to figure it out genius.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

but jacked up with inside in this case it is not necessarily and double hit just because the cb goes forward...

Jaden

The guy in the original video used outside, not inside.

Plenty of people have slow motion on their phones. Reproduce the shot, and results, and post a YouTube to prove your point.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you want to reference ignorance, you might want to note the Jewitt example used inside English and you may also note the path of the cue ball after contact. It may take you half a dozen viewings to figure it out genius.

He jacked up into the cue ball, but he didn't hit the backside of the cue ball. He hit above center of the cue ball which added the top to force the cue ball down table. The left used to throw the ball into the pocket causes enough squirt with the downward angle to avoid the double hit. The tell tale sign of a double hit is the third click of contact for the foul. The video is either very carefully edited to remove that blip of sound, or he didn't double hit.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jaden
How does the CB go forward like in that video other than via a foul? I'm sure we've all seen Dr. Dave's and Bob Jewett's slo mo videos on this, and everything I've seen from those indicates the only way to do it is with a foul. Can you link to a video or something else that shows how you could do that without fouling?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Bad Info

Bad information, foul. When two objects inline with the same weight AND A GAP BETWEEN THEM collide, the collision HAS TO SLOW DOWN THE FIRST BALL PERIOD. I HEARD THE DBL HIT. Sad to think someone would tell beginners that this was acceptable. Rule of thumb when there is a gap and you hit straight thru the shot LINE, the cue ball will not follow the object ball if it was a good hit. If he shot ''away'' and cut the ball, all good....most likely, depends on each specific situation.

Last edited:

magix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if hes jacked up,hitting down on the cue ball,which must be draw or stun.tell me how the cue ball goes down the table.in the vid the cue ball goes back and to the left.not the same shot.just want someone to tell me how to do it.