Mosconi cup day 4 lineup

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 4 lineup is out! This is exactly how I would do it. Strongest players first because you have to pile up wins quickly. Shane hasn't played the best so far but he is our best and Hall is the USA MVP so far. It isnt over yet! Let's go USA!!!

SVB vs daz
SVB vs nikos
HALL vs Niels
BERGMAN vs daz
DEUEL vs Boyes
SCHMIDT vs Gray

alanvo

Banned
EU only needs 2 wins, what if they strategically place their best players vs US weakest links?

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10428043_10152845449495115_5810346688715221951_n.png

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boyes and gray are not the strongest for the euros and they are paired against our weakest. I think this lineup slightly favors the usa. But it will be a hard hill to climb. Gotta take it one win at a time.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For us to win, first of all, SVB needs to show up big time and take home the first two. Then the Justins need to play well, tough versus the top 2 Euros, but they got game, if they bring it they can win the next two.

If Corey and John can split their matches after that, we'll have a final match showdown, probably either Shane vs Daz or Shane vs Niels.

Go USA.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually think that we can get to 8-9. There is still a chance that this could go the distance.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For us to win, first of all, SVB needs to show up big time and take home the first two. Then the Justins need to play well, tough versus the top 2 Euros, but they got game, if they bring it they can win the next two.

If Corey and John can split their matches after that, we'll have a final match showdown, probably either Shane vs Daz or Shane vs Niels.

Go USA.

The final showdown as you say is already picked, it will be the last pair listed if it goes hill hill which is SCHMIDT vs Gray

I think they put up SVB since if they lose the first two they are out, so they put in the best player to try to at least get it closer.

Saving SVB for the last few games would be a bad move at this point, if the US loses early he'll never get a chance.

Our league team a while ago did this, I was the best player but our first few players lost so when I got to play we were pretty much 100% out of it. I actually had to win all of my games (to about 80 points at 14 point a win) before the other player got a single ball in.
I won 3 racks before they got a ball in though, but we ended up losing. If the US tries to save Shane for later (I am assuming they have a limit in how many times a player can play although don't know what that is), he could just be sitting while the US gets sent home.

Last edited:

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The final showdown as you say is already picked, it will be the last pair listed if it goes hill hill which is SCHMIDT vs Gray

I think they put up SVB since if they lose the first two they are out, so they put in the best player to try to at least get it closer.

Saving SVB for the last few games would be a bad move at this point, if the US loses early he'll never get a chance.

Our league team a while ago did this, I was the best player but our first few players lost so when I got to play we were pretty much 100% out of it. I actually had to win all of my games (to about 80 points at 14 point a win) before the other player got a single ball in.
I won 3 racks before they got a ball in though, but we ended up losing. If the US tries to save Shane for later (I am assuming they have a limit in how many times a player can play although don't know what that is), he could just be sitting while the US gets sent home.

No the final showdown is not fixed yet. What he was saying is if the USA wins 5 out of 6 matches today that will have the score tied at 10-10. And the final showdown would be a captains pick for thats match to win the cup. He is saying it would either be Svb vs daz or Svb vs Neil's. Shane could possibly play 3 matches today. But for that to happen we would have to win 5 out of 6 today.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hmm. Only 6 matches are listed. If the US wins 5 and Europe 1, that would be a 10-10 tie. Does that mean Schmidt and Gray would play again for the final showdown?

I was under the impression that if they are tied 10-10 then there's one more match, captains can pick anyone to play. But I could be wrong.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No the final showdown is not fixed yet. What he was saying is if the USA wins 5 out of 6 matches today that will have the score tied at 10-10. And the final showdown would be a captains pick for thats match to win the cup. He is saying it would either be Svb vs daz or Svb vs Neil's. Shane could possibly play 3 matches today. But for that to happen we would have to win 5 out of 6 today.

It's a long shot, but anything is possible!

BTW, that was a pretty good guess at the lineup in your OP. :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh, I thought the line up was what is was. Is there still a limit to how many times they can put up a player? So if Shane already reached his limit he can't play the hill hill game?

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boyes is absolutely one of the stronger Europeans. He is better than Nikos and Gray is not even close. You are aware Karl is a world champion right?

I definitely agree with you he is stronger than gray and nikos by far! But I would take Daz and Neils over Karl. My post was more directed at Gray.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I thought the line up was what is was. Is there still a limit to how many times they can put up a player? So if Shane already reached his limit he can't play the hill hill game?

I'm not sure if there is a limit. But I would hope that if it came down to a captains pick that any player could be selected. Hopefully we get a chance to sweat how that will all play out later :thumbup:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EU only needs 2 wins, what if they strategically place their best players vs US weakest links?
EU do not know beforehand - it is blind picks - each captain lists their line up separately
Because EUR is stronger team it will be good for them if they play strongest against strongest and weakest v weakest . But Johan is probably thinking that unlikely MW will lineup strong to weak so he probably ask all 5 to pick numbers :)
MW is probably thinking that Johan will think he will not line strong to weak so he really likes strong to weak
Some mind games

Each play can play maximum 4 singles ( including captains pick) and minimum 2 singles
No the captains picks are not decided yet. They only reveal picks when it goes hill hill so on paper any 2 of the 10 players can play

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
EU do not know beforehand - it is blind picks - each captain lists their line up separately
Because EUR is stronger team it will be good for them if they play strongest against strongest and weakest v weakest . But Johan is probably thinking that unlikely MW will lineup strong to weak so he probably ask all 5 to pick numbers :)
MW is probably thinking that Johan will think he will not line strong to weak so he really likes strong to weak
Some mind games

Each play can play maximum 4 singles ( including captains pick) and minimum 2 singles
No the captains picks are not decided yet. They only reveal picks when it goes hill hill so on paper any 2 of the 10 players can play

There is no mind games. There is no thinking about what the other captain is going to do with their lineup.

The basis for both teams is that you don't want to lose with your best player(s) on the bench, not getting a chance to play.

This is why SVB is playing back to back to start off the day.

This is why Appleton and Neils are playing early on in the match lineup as well.

Both Captains know this.

If it goes Hill - Hill (10-10), it is Captains pick - meaning any of your five players can play. Obviously for the USA it would be SVB. For Europe, most likely Appleton but I could see them picking Neils.

jmhanson_21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the lineup for team USA. However, for USA to have success, they've got to be better at the lag. I've seen them win the lag once thus far. That's terrible. In a short race, it's so huge to win the lag. The loser of the lag has to win one more of his opponents breaks than his opponent wins of his breaks in order to win. In other words, team USA has been saying, lets play a race to five and if we make the same amount of errors, you win. That's a big disadvantage, and hopefully they've been practicing that shot.