wow SVB forfeits match vs Alcano

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Maybe Shane should have continued Stu.... but perhaps Shane was thinking that placing a spotlight on his opponent's lack of sportsmanship is a more effective way of correcting what is wrong with pool. It certainly is gaining a lot of attention.

JoeyA

quitting is always a bad option because comebacks can happen.

and, again, don't quit those who have wagered on you.

best,
brian kc

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could see Shane running into trouble, between his hearing and the different language. If it wasn't written out, or if no one made sure he understood there was a non-standard rule, it could cause trouble for him.

Language issues have historically cost the world a lot more than a forfeited pool game.

I remember watching a TAR podcast with Shane and Efren. Justin asked Efren if he preferred slop rules or call pocket. He asked three different ways, then Shane asked the same question twice before Efren finally understood the question. Efren's conversational command of English seems to be pretty good, but still, you will see certain words or phrases that he gets confused. Shane likely has to deal with the same problems.

I'm sure that even if a rule was communicated that you had to actually physically mark your pocket like in some leagues, Shane would have complied every time, with nothing more than maybe an eye roll at an obvious shot like this one was. Was it a language issue here, or did he decide to flagrantly defy the rules and shoot without calling his pocket? Only one possibility makes any sense to me.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is this tournament being played? Seems like a bogus call on an obvious shot unless in their country it is common.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Where is this tournament being played? Seems like a bogus call on an obvious shot unless in their country it is common.

General Santos City, south of the Philippine Islands .
They're playing inside a mall with hundreds of people watching for free.

Slow_roll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol Horrible call by the ref

Whenever I watch a pool match between two people in the Philipeans, it seems like there's spectators getting involved. Even in 1v1 tourneys. You have dudes pulling out balls out of each pocket for match, clean -off balls, pick up lint, hair, chicken legs, etc.. In this case it was the ref WANTING to be part of the match. Shane glanced over at Ronnie. If it was cool with Ronnie then it should have stopped there.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member

I always thought that 10 ball was generally a slop game in the philippines. (but obviously it wasn't during this tourney)

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alcano has an option to shoot 10 ball will be spotted. Shane gave up the match, he lost his cool.

Shane lost his cool?

I disagree.
I watched the video.
He had a right to ask for an explanation; the referee did so and I feel in a very sympathetic manner; another tournament official came into the picture for corroboration.

Shane, although disappointed handled it quite well.
A player has a right to forfeit his match if he so chooses.
I do agree that Shane should have called his pocket for the 10 ball, no doubt, it wasn't completely obvious from the referee's standpoint.

Nonetheless, Shane did not lose his cool.
He simply made a decision as a player and did so without causing a scene.
Unlike many other players would have done.

Looked more like a tantrum to me.

Certain rules may be nitty and unnecessary (and in my opinion this one definitely is) but it's still SVB's responsibility to play by the rules and not just quit when he gets penalised for not playing by them.

So a guy wants to win by any means necessary. So in response you forfeit???? Better to take your break, refocus and try to outrun the nuts. Pointless to try and win in court of public opinion.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whenever I watch a pool match between two people in the Philipeans, it seems like there's spectators getting involved. Even in 1v1 tourneys. You have dudes pulling out balls out of each pocket for match, clean -off balls, pick up lint, hair, chicken legs, etc.. In this case it was the ref WANTING to be part of the match. Shane glanced over at Ronnie. If it was cool with Ronnie then it should have stopped there.

That's the Asian culture.
Incidents can become "public" quickly and everyone wants to become part of it.

The Referee controls the match.
He is part of the match.
He enforces the rules.

Ronnie had nothing to do with enforcing the rules.

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member

looks like Shane got a little taste of phillipino hometown cookin...

pretty low rent move - earl probably would have snapped his cue and berated a non english speaking crowd - shane should have continued playing but i can understand his frustration

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane lost his cool?

I disagree.
I watched the video.
He had a right to ask for an explanation; the referee did so and I feel in a very sympathetic manner; another tournament official came into the picture for corroboration.

Shane, although disappointed handled it quite well.
A player has a right to forfeit his match if he so chooses.
I do agree that Shane should have called his pocket for the 10 ball, no doubt, it wasn't completely obvious from the referee's standpoint.

Nonetheless, Shane did not lose his cool.
He simply made a decision as a player and did so without causing a scene.
Unlike many other players would have done.
Eh, he many not have visibly become emotional, yelling and waving his arms and throwing his stick, but I'd say forfeiting your match after a ref's call against you qualifies as losing your cool.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a local tour that's a "called 9" tour. It's become a popular way to play up here. Though, it only needs to be called if it's not obvious. A bank, combo, carom etc need to be called. What Shane shot, would never need to be called.

Calling a hanger is obnoxious and calling someone out for not calling a hanger is nitty

This. I wouldn't accept a win if he did it and wouldn't accept a loss if I did it. I don't need these garbage rules if I'm playing.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that it's a bs move, but I wonder what the response would be if the situation were reversed, with SVB calling someone out for not calling a 10-ball on an obvious shot.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Language issues have historically cost the world a lot more than a forfeited pool game.

I remember watching a TAR podcast with Shane and Efren. Justin asked Efren if he preferred slop rules or call pocket. He asked three different ways, then Shane asked the same question twice before Efren finally understood the question. Efren's conversational command of English seems to be pretty good, but still, you will see certain words or phrases that he gets confused. Shane likely has to deal with the same problems.

I'm sure that even if a rule was communicated that you had to actually physically mark your pocket like in some leagues, Shane would have complied every time, with nothing more than maybe an eye roll at an obvious shot like this one was. Was it a language issue here, or did he decide to flagrantly defy the rules and shoot without calling his pocket? Only one possibility makes any sense to me.

If Shane was watching Ronnie play he doesn't have much of an excuse. Ronnie called every single ten ball before he made it from the beginning of the match. He also looked at the ref while calling a pocket. Shane could either think Ronnie is showboating by calling his pocket on routine shots on the 10 ball or that it is a rule for this particular tournament.

The only thing I disagree with is the fact that Shane made a couple of 10 balls before the rule was enforced. I think the referee should have warned him or enforced it after the first time he failed to call his pocket.

Whether you agree with the rule or not, it is obvious that calling the 10 ball was a rule in this tournament. Hopefully Shane will call the 10 ball during the rest of his matches.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just another reason I hate call-shot 10-ball...:angry:
...it brings out the 'sea lawyers' like bar rules does.

It takes away far more skill than it brings.
...don't feed the nits....

A classy move by Ronnie would have been to spot the 10-ball...
...and tap the cue-ball.

In snooker once, (where they do NOT play call-shots) the '79 world champion,
Terry Griffiths, was awarded a free ball....he disagreed with the ref...
....and shot the ball 'on' instead.

A champion should be a hero

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This. I wouldn't accept a win if he did it and wouldn't accept a loss if I did it. I don't need these garbage rules if I'm playing.

You have every right to not play in a tournament which has "garbage rules".

If a tournament director says you have to call the 10 ball to win the game then you should probably do that. Not blame your opponent who is playing by the rules if he calls you on it.

Why do people think they should only have to play by the rules they deem to be correct?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
General Santos City, south of the Philippine Islands .
They're playing inside a mall with hundreds of people watching for free.

I've seen a lot of videos and live streams of pool in the PI mostly between Filipinos and I've not seen an obvious 10 ball called a foul.
I don't blame Van Boening for unscrewing.

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the rules are to call the 10 ball, then you are open to this move. It's the players responsibility to know the rules. It's a BS move because the shot wasn't in doubt but ultimately it looks like Shane opened himself up by not calling the 10 ball. Still a nitty move, but I've seen it happen time and time again in other forms at tournaments for years. Moral of the story, know the rules and don't open yourself up to this move. I'm guessing Shane will call the 10 ball the rest of the tournament.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that it's a bs move, but I wonder what the response would be if the situation were reversed, with SVB calling someone out for not calling a 10-ball on an obvious shot.

There's no "move" here.
The referee is the one who initiated the call.
He did not hear Shane call the 10 ball—plain and simple.

As I said in a previous post, Ronnie had nothing to do with this call.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea ok..,

When people say "rules are the rules" for things like this it makes me want to explode and kick them in the nut sack. This is the nittiest call in pool.

When dealing with rules, you need to think: why is this a rule? What was the reason that this became a rule. At one time, it wasn't a rule until it because apparent they needed to create a rule to fix a flaw or problem.

The rules change all the time and that's what players meetings are for. I have played no-9 or 10Ball on the break, no-9 or 10Ball in the corner pockets where the ball are racked, but fine in any other pocket, all ball fouls, cue ball only fouls, break from the box only, break from any place behind the head string, the new break rule of three balls past the head string(bad rule).

The point being that its not poor sportsmanship on the part of the incoming player to point out a rule infraction. Yes he could have said no big deal, but this is business, this is how he makes a living and the checks can be few and far between at this level, this aint some regional tournament with two A-level players and a bunch of C-level players.

Its business and he played by the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSHVp6VDGR0