What is necessary to improve?

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone wants to get better, run more racks, and win more games. What do you believe is necessary to improve? In other words, what actions must you perform in order to take your game to the next level?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone wants to get better, run more racks, and win more games. What do you believe is necessary to improve? In other words, what actions must you perform in order to take your game to the next level?

Table time.

Folks will tout this and that, but its like the old joke.

The origin of the joke will probably always remain a mystery, but the best explanation we’ve heard comes from the wife of violinist Mischa Elman. One day, after a rehearsal that hadn’t pleased Elman, the couple was leaving Carnegie Hall by the backstage entrance when they were approached by two tourists looking for the hall’s entrance. Seeing his violin case, they asked, “How do you get to Carnegie Hall?” Without looking up and continuing on his way, Elman simply replied, “Practice.”

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
certainly you must have thoughts on the matter?

put em out there an we will tell you how right and wrong you are...at the same time.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Proper Practice Routines.

In this order:
Stroke
Aim/Alignment
Cue ball Knowledge
Speed Control
The mighty Stop Shot.

randyg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Proper Practice Routines.

In this order:
Stroke
Aim/Alignment
Cue ball Knowledge
Speed Control
The mighty Stop Shot.

randyg

You forgot to mention "good eyes" and ability to see the true angle which goes in part with aim but is a bit different. Knowing where to hit and HOW to actually hit it with what your eyes show you and how your arm moves the cue are very different.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
How bout a plan that suits the needs of the player?

How bout seeing what a player needs to improve on and then go from there?

You got to see whats broke before you can fix it.

So, really your question can not be answered without seeing the player.

But proper practice with a plan suited for the needs of the player is the way.

This plan is ever changing as the skill grows.

I think in terms of levels like in marital arts. Each level leads to the next level where new skills are added. It takes a true master to see what each needs to get to the next level. What works for one, not so for another therefore flexibly in teaching and training style is needed.

The best way to improve comes when one realizes to do so is a life long commit, meaning to give yourself time to improve and not force it.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Confidence. I have a theory that most players are better players then they think, they just don't know it or believe it. I came to this conclusion years ago from watching a zillion hours or players on the pool rooms when I was in the business.

The player has all the tools and puts in the hours but when the time comes they will just roll over and get beat. They lack that tiny percent that it takes to clinch a win. It is there but they can't seem to reach down and find it.

I have even seen players make miraculous improvement with just one major win. Something just clicked and they are never the same player again.

Ronnie Sypher once told me he just woke up one day and it all made sense.
Something happened in his head that what ever it was that was keeping him back was just gone overnight.

I saw another player who was a good local player but not great. In one session become a real player. His name is known on here and he is sometimes mentioned.

He was playing a guy and as it went on they began raising the bet. At a point he was betting more then he had ever bet and the other player a local guy who would usually high rolled players was feeling good.

Well, just like in the movie the Hustler there came a point where he didn't care anymore, the money didn't matter he was going all the way with this guy.

Dogging anything because for the money was over. It took like 25 hours but he made the guy quit like $4000.00 loser. I should add, a LOT of money in those days.

It was amazing he just got better and better right in front of us as the night went on. It must have always been there inside him but it took this night to bring it out.

In a short time he was playing anyone who came around and winning. If it was some champion all he needed was the right weight and he snapped them off. He was fearless and solid. He reads here I know and I knows I am talking about him.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How bout a plan that suits the needs of the player?

How bout seeing what a player needs to improve on and then go from there?

You got to see whats broke before you can fix it.

So, really your question can not be answered without seeing the player.

What do YOU need to do to improve? :)

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
To get better...

Interest, desire, patience, dedication, imagination and a willingness to learn from others.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So your starting from a player that can run a rack and win a few games. Practicing without knowledge will not make most a better player. Simple knowledge will. Only practice when you can see it, . I played since the late 50"s. Considered myself as a good player. Much improved my game this past year watching streamed pool of all sorts. Improved stance, sighting, stroke, simple positioning without a lot of english, demeanor, banking ball and general use of angles, confidence level is 100%. I do miss simple shots as the best do but walk away knowing I can play to the best of my ability. Thanks to streaming.

Those that can't watch pool on tv or PC, just go to a pool room and watch the top players. Unlike golf for example pool is a very quick upward learning curve once a few basic fundamentals are ingrained in one's mind. Or get lesson's from a Pro. Support local Pro events, many are free admission.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the OP might think that purchasing his Bullseye Billiards training your aim kit might be the ticket!!! ;)

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
In one word DEDICATION...

what's needed to improve? DEDICATION...

If you want specifics. You have to gain knowledge. knowledge of the correct patterns to play and why, knowledge of correct stroke mechanics, knowledge of what spin does to the cueball, and to banks, and to the object ball.

Knowledge of the tangent, of collision induced throw, of parabolic curves of follow and draw..

There is so much knowledge needed to play this game at a super high level it is ridiculous.

But still the most important factor in improving is Dedication...

I have yet to meet a player capable of high level play that hasn't at some time in their life eaten, slept and breathed pool.

If you're playing enough pool that you dream you're on a table, you will improve...

Jaden

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Natural ability.

This is not true.
Natural talent does HELP but it's not the only thing that's needed. It can only take you "so" far. After that it's all about how dedicated you are to being a better pool player.

To me the most important thing is true desire to be better.

It's kind of like people who talk about quitting smoking. They take patches, pills are other things that might help 'em to quit but most of the time they fail cuz of their lack of willpower to quit it. (I am a smoker so this is from personal experience).

Also it depends on individual basis on what is going to help them to get to next level. It's usually a combination of different things.

P.S:- I also want to add that there are people out there that are kind of prodigy but then those people are exceptions. And there are very few of them. So, don't equate that to "natural ability" being the biggest factor in improving.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
desire?

I think a burning fire in your belly that is only quenched when your shooting pool is what it takes. If you have that then pool is a priority. If it is a priority you will invest your money and your time in it. You will watch others and learn from them. You will develop the style that works best for you. You will set realistic goals for your game. After that when you practice you will use a good technique. To me for the most part, pool skill comes in increments, not big leaps. All really good pool players have 3 things in common that we can see. A good stroke, good shot making, good cue ball control. What we usually can't see is the amount of table time they get, their interest and their mental and emotional state. Last but not least, competition. I mean lots of playing time against other good players that you can't always beat. You just can't beat experience playing other good players. I always shoot better when I am playing a better player. Also, don't get angry when you miss a shot or loose a game, the best in the world miss and loose. Take it as a teaching moment.

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Super strong fundamentals and a STRONGER mind !!

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the OP might think that purchasing his Bullseye Billiards training your aim kit might be the ticket!!! ;)

Yep, Bullseye Billiards is all you need! ;)

I'm actually just curious to see what players think about what they need to do for themselves to get better. So far we have seen a wide range of replies, so keep it going!

CT06010

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a burning fire in your belly that is only quenched when your shooting pool is what it takes. If you have that then pool is a priority. If it is a priority you will invest your money and your time in it. You will watch others and learn from them. You will develop the style that works best for you. You will set realistic goals for your game. After that when you practice you will use a good technique. To me for the most part, pool skill comes in increments, not big leaps. All really good pool players have 3 things in common that we can see. A good stroke, good shot making, good cue ball control. What we usually can't see is the amount of table time they get, their interest and their mental and emotional state. Last but not least, competition. I mean lots of playing time against other good players that you can't always beat. You just can't beat experience playing other good players. I always shoot better when I am playing a better player. Also, don't get angry when you miss a shot or loose a game, the best in the world miss and loose. Take it as a teaching moment.

Couldnt say it any better than this.