Keith McCready story

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A story told to me by the recently deceased JJ Jenkins. If you knew JJ you can appreciate his story telling ability.

"It was Santa Monica in the 60's. The place was alive, it had a pulse all its own. The action was unreal, money flowed through that place like water. There were more high rollers in there than in Vegas. There was a cat in the parking lot who sold silk suits and dresses out of the trunk of his car, the finest clothing available, if you needed to pick up a gift for your old lady, he was the man. You better get the size right because there were no refunds. Another dude would leave his limo out front with his driver and his bodyguard and he always had a quarter million in the trunk.

The hustlers in this place were rich with their winnings. One of them drove a new Mercedes and lived like a King. There were movie stars, sports stars, and people who made stars, all of them playing pool in there. There were backers and bettors all over the place.

I remember the night I first saw Keith like it was today. I was watching the action and checking out the stars in the room. Peter Falk was in his regular game in the corner with Ray Fox. George C. Scott was playing with James Caan and that tennis player Jimmy Conners was in a game too and Telly Savalas.

This guy walks in and pulls out a was of cash and says "I've got a 17 year old kid out in the car and I'm ready to put up $20,000 if anyone wants to give him a try." The buzz in the place got louder. A game was set up with the best player in the place at the time. Keith McCready came in and started playing, no practice, no warm-up and let me tell you it seemed like it took him 3 weeks to miss a ball. He picked off every player one after the other. I never saw anything like it."

(Note: Actual year was 1974 as pointed out by Keone and Jay in later posts)

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good story and I'm sure it is fairly accurate except for maybe Keith's age or the time frame.

Keith was born in 1957 and wouldn't have been 17 until in the 70s.

Aloha.

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing

I read so many books about the good ole days of pool and the action. Pool rooms were plentiful, action was always available and the players played. I would have enjoyed being on the side rail betting on the Earthquake.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are countless Keith stories like this. That's why there needs to be a book written about them!

At age 17, Keith was a holy terror able to shoot holes through nearly anyone. But the earlier posters were right, the timeline was wrong. Heck, even Jimmy Conners and Telly Savales would've been barely known in the 60's.

Teacherjohn

Registered
KEITH in Sacto 1974

Saw Keith play Louie Roberts in Sacramento in 1974 when he really was 17. They played 7 ahead, don't know for how much. Keith broke and ran the first 4 racks, then came up dry on the break. Louie made the one ball, hooked himself on the two, kicked and missed the whole ball, Keith got ball in hand and ran out. Then he broke and ran the next two racks. Session over. Louie got one shot. Took less than 10 minutes. Then Keith gave Denny Searcy the last two. Don't know who won.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
JAM has been working on a book about Keith, Boogie in the Dark: The Legend of Keith McCready. I hope she comes back to AZB and can shed some light on where this project stands. :thumbup:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JAM has been working on a book about Keith, Boogie in the Dark: The Legend of Keith McCready. I hope she comes back to AZB and can shed some light on where this project stands. :thumbup:

Yes, but she made me wonder back in November when she posted the following in response to a post by someone else regarding something he was working on:

"The pool racket is a thankless job sometimes. I wish I had some of your enthusiasm and vigor to launch what I've been working on, but when I look at the return and other repercussions to follow, it ain't worth my time and money and grief. In your case, though, I hope it brings you joy and that it *is* worth it."

I followed up with: "No Earthquake book?"

She did not respond.

Perhaps she was just having a bad day.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Keith play Louie Roberts in Sacramento in 1974 when he really was 17. They played 7 ahead, don't know for how much. Keith broke and ran the first 4 racks, then came up dry on the break. Louie made the one ball, hooked himself on the two, kicked and missed the whole ball, Keith got ball in hand and ran out. Then he broke and ran the next two racks. Session over. Louie got one shot. Took less than 10 minutes. Then Keith gave Denny Searcy the last two. Don't know who won.

I think I recall talk tha Keith needed to give the 7 to the St. Louis, to make it fair.

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there. It was 1967. Met Jimmy Caan there and his brother Ronnie. I think Diliberto gave him the 7. Lots of action. Richie Ambrose had just made a 6 figure score. Some guys made a score off of Phil Spector. I met Telly there with his brother George (Demosthenes). Telly had a Mosconi cue.
James Garner would pop in as well as Marvin Henderson, Hawaiian Brian, Bernie Schwartz, Freddy the Beard, Dalton Leong, Gene Nagy, Cripple Shorty, Ronnie Allen, Preacher Red, Rags, Brooklyn Pancho, Cuban Joe, Brooklyn Butch, Neil Young, Philly Joe Veasy. etc etc
Cecil Tugwell started there when he got out of the army.
$50 a game 9 ball was normal. In the 60's $50 was a lot.
Lenny Moore the gambler had a regular game like that.
Diliberto was playing $500/$1000 14.1 games to 150.
I saw Diliberto pummel Crazy Bruce when Bruce stiffed him out of a $100.

I played a game of straight pool with Richard Pryor once but he was so funny no one could keep score.
Falk would come in as well as lots of guys from John Cassavetes crowd.
Man it was action all the time. Every thief, strong arm, pimp, card shark, made it through those doors.
Its a wonder no one got killed.
The ole Ye Billiard Den on Santa Monica Boulevard.
Funny its a gay night club now. Hamburger Mary's.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there. It was 1967. Met Jimmy Caan there and his brother Ronnie. I think Diliberto gave him the 7. Lots of action. Richie Ambrose had just made a 6 figure score. Some guys made a score off of Phil Spector. I met Telly there with his brother George (Demosthenes). Telly had a Mosconi cue.
James Garner would pop in as well as Marvin Henderson, Hawaiian Brian, Bernie Schwartz, Freddy the Beard, Dalton Leong, Gene Nagy, Cripple Shorty, Ronnie Allen, Preacher Red, Rags, Brooklyn Pancho, Cuban Joe, Brooklyn Butch, Neil Young, Philly Joe Veasy. etc etc
Cecil Tugwell started there when he got out of the army.
$50 a game 9 ball was normal. In the 60's $50 was a lot.
Lenny Moore the gambler had a regular game like that.
Diliberto was playing $500/$1000 14.1 games to 150.
I saw Diliberto pummel Crazy Bruce when Bruce stiffed him out of a $100.

I played a game of straight pool with Richard Pryor once but he was so funny no one could keep score.
Falk would come in as well as lots of guys from John Cassavetes crowd.
Man it was action all the time. Every thief, strong arm, pimp, card shark, made it through those doors.
Its a wonder no one got killed.
The ole Ye Billiard Den on Santa Monica Boulevard.
Funny its a gay night club now. Hamburger Mary's.

That is a very good story. Thanks for sharing. Aloha

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good story and I'm sure it is fairly accurate except for maybe Keith's age or the time frame.

Keith was born in 1957 and wouldn't have been 17 until in the 70s.

Aloha.

Yes, I wrote it after Jj Jenkins told me the story so I probably got a few things wrong. I wish I would have recorded him because he would paint a picture with his words.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A story told to me by the recently deceased JJ Jenkins. If you knew JJ you can appreciate his story telling ability.

"It was Santa Monica in the 60's. The place was alive, it had a pulse all its own. The action was unreal, money flowed through that place like water. There were more high rollers in there than in Vegas. There was a cat in the parking lot who sold silk suits and dresses out of the trunk of his car, the finest clothing available, if you needed to pick up a gift for your old lady, he was the man. You better get the size right because there were no refunds. Another dude would leave his limo out front with his driver and his bodyguard and he always had a quarter million in the trunk.

The hustlers in this place were rich with their winnings. One of them drove a new Mercedes and lived like a King. There were movie stars, sports stars, and people who made stars, all of them playing pool in there. There were backers and bettors all over the place.

I remember the night I first saw Keith like it was today. I was watching the action and checking out the stars in the room. Peter Falk was in his regular game in the corner with Ray Fox. George C. Scott was playing with James Caan and that tennis player Jimmy Conners was in a game too and Telly Savalas.

This guy walks in and pulls out a was of cash and says "I've got a 17 year old kid out in the car and I'm ready to put up $20,000 if anyone wants to give him a try." The buzz in the place got louder. A game was set up with the best player in the place at the time. Keith McCready came in and started playing, no practice, no warm-up and let me tell you it seemed like it took him 3 weeks to miss a ball. He picked off every player one after the other. I never saw anything like it."

This story was both entertaining and funny , and..also telling.I'm not PC but outside biker gangs i'd bet you'd catch hell for using " old lady ":). Whenever i hear "cat" used , it always dates a story , i think cat went out about this time and "dude" came in , like when you were taking about a person in general , the way cat was used.Like , i saw this dude get hit by a car . Not the way dude is used to day, as an exclamation when talking , like dude!! , get off my foot.

"It was Santa Monica in the 60's. The place was alive, it had a pulse all its own.

Setting the mood pretty good , right after this statement was time for .

the smoke was so thick , you could have cut it with a knife.:)

Hope you take this right , it brought the era back to me . :thumbup:

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This story was both entertaining and funny , and..also telling.I'm not PC but outside biker gangs i'd bet you'd catch hell for using " old lady ":). Whenever i hear "cat" used , it always dates a story , i think cat went out about this time and "dude" came in , like when you were taking about a person in general , the way cat was used.Like , i saw this dude get hit by a car . Not the way dude is used to day, as an exclamation when talking , like dude!! , get off my foot.

"It was Santa Monica in the 60's. The place was alive, it had a pulse all its own.

Setting the mood pretty good , right after this statement was time for .

the smoke was so thick , you could have cut it with a knife.:)

Hope you take this right , it brought the era back to me . :thumbup:

I would have told it different but I was relaying what JJ Jenkins told me and that was the way he talked. Since he was about 6'5" and 280 lbs and African American, I don't think anyone ever told him to not use certain words.