Knife for triming a new tip.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's a very sharp chisel. The key words being 'very sharp'.

I recently put a G2 on one of my back up shafts. I wish I had seen this beforehand.

Best 2 All,
Rick

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
knife

Thanks for the video.
Been installing my own tips for many years, although my techniques and tools are similar to those in the video, his are more refinded.
The knife blade reminded me the blades used in a wood plane. Those blades are super sharp and slotted so it wouldn't be to hard to installed a handle on one. ???

Dale

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You don't. What you see on the video is more force than needed to cut off an old tip. A single edged razor blade is all you need. They can be found at any good hardware store, although they won't be near as cool. :smile:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Wood chisel

Where do I get a knife like the one in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RAi5zDnVGM

Your choice, You can go down to the hardware store and buy a good wood chisel and a large wet sharpening stone like what you would use to sharpen a knife or buy a replacement blade for a wood PLANER.
Then put a handle on it of some kind.
If you don't know what or how to do that and you don't know anyone who can sharpen a knife properly then ( I ) will go down to ( my ) local hardware store, buy what you need, sharpen the wood chisel for you and I ship everything to you for my cost plus 20 bucks for my time and shipping.

If I do it will run you about 55.00 to 60.00 bucks.
Wood chisels run about 20 bucks and Norton wet stone is around 20 bucks to.
But the wood chisels are not sharp enough from the factory and need to be razor sharp.

If you want a something sharp enough to cut a laminated tip ?

Ps macguy is correct that is a Japanese wood knife .

A American made wood chisel and a wet stone will do the same thing.
I do stacked leather on my Pocket Chalker's .
And that is what I use to cut all my leather.

Is there a saddle shop in your town or city you might pop in and see if they have any leather knifes.

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't. What you see on the video is more force than needed to cut off an old tip. A single edged razor blade is all you need. They can be found at any good hardware store, although they won't be near as cool. :smile:

I don't want one to cut the old tip off, I want it to trim the sides of new tips once they are glued on.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tips

Good idea, I'll try that. I've found some Japanese leather knives online that would also be worth looking into.

You need to listen to a couple rules.
One is that knife is dangerous .................
Two is for what ever reason if you cut or sand on your ferrule even a little bit STOP.
And take the shaft to some one who has a lathe.

This is the standard,

Lathe is the best tool..............

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'm a retired Millwright/Machinist with 38 years of experience. I've got a garage full of nice tools and know how to use them all. I've also owned, handled and sharpened tons of knives in my life. It's not my first rodeo either. I just wanted to know where to get one of those sweet knives.

@mortuarymike-nv: I've seen that picture of the beautifully done tip, it's amazing. I don't think there are a dozen people in the world that could live up to that standard.

Thanks for all the help people.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tip work

Well I'm a retired Millwright/Machinist with 38 years of experience. I've got a garage full of nice tools and know how to use them all. I've also owned, handled and sharpened tons of knives in my life. It's not my first rodeo either. I just wanted to know where to get one of those sweet knives.

@mortuarymike-nv: I've seen that picture of the beautifully done tip, it's amazing. I don't think there are a dozen people in the world that could live up to that standard.

Thanks for all the help people.

If I didn't have a lathe this is how I would try it.
I have never taped a ferrule but if you don't and the ferrule has chalk in it near the tip or glue area you will never get it cleaned up.
Glue your tip on.
Stand the shaft up side down on a level piece of wood , you need a third hand or some way to secure the shafts straight up and down.
Use a extremely sharp wood chisel and trim of the excess.
From there you need to use a small file or a small sanding block.

Thank you for liking my picture, Honestly that is the standard and I believe almost everyone can do as good if not better if they have a lathe.

You being a mill right should be able to do this repair,
The wood chisel is the best choice because of the handle you can push straight down.........................

Remember don't cut or sand on the ferrule .................
Hope it works for you

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Kim Bye from Norway can help you out Buddy. He has ordered one of these from Japan.

He can give you the link to their site. If he doesn't see this thread, I will send him a PM and he will help you out.

I found one link for ya.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-OK...d_Tools&var==&hash=item35d004ab2c=&rmvSB=true

Ebay but you should be able to Google the name in case you don't want to mess with EBay.

Pretty reasonably priced eh.

Not entirely the same as the sharp chisel but will work in the same fashion for you.

Lee Valley Tools also has a leather cutting knife. Flat on one side, either left or right and beveled on the other. Way more expensive than the link I posted tho.
Or you could Google Japanese chisels and leather knives.

Last edited:

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I didn't have a lathe this is how I would try it.
I have never taped a ferrule but if you don't and the ferrule has chalk in it near the tip or glue area you will never get it cleaned up.
Glue your tip on.
Stand the shaft up side down on a level piece of wood , you need a third hand or some way to secure the shafts straight up and down.
Use a extremely sharp wood chisel and trim of the excess.
From there you need to use a small file or a small sanding block.

Thank you for liking my picture, Honestly that is the standard and I believe almost everyone can do as good if not better if they have a lathe.

You being a mill right should be able to do this repair,
The wood chisel is the best choice because of the handle you can push straight down.........................

Remember don't cut or sand on the ferrule .................
Hope it works for you
Thank you Sir.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to listen to a couple rules.
One is that knife is dangerous .................
Two is for what ever reason if you cut or sand on your ferrule even a little bit STOP.

Lathe is far more dangerous than a knife! Much easier to damage a ferrule with a lathe than by hand to boot.

Beautiful tip.

Takes time but it can be done by hand. Only place I've found that knife is eBay or Amazon "Japanese leather skiving knife" takes a while to get because it ships from Asia.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Lathe is far more dangerous than a knife! Much easier to damage a ferrule with a lathe than by hand to boot.

Just wondering how you would come to this conclusion unless you have done tips on a lathe and you messed up a bunch of ferrules in the process. In which case, you weren't doing it right.