Missing to the left...

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
So here is my issue with missed shots, 90-95% of any shot I miss it's to the left side of the pocket. Doesn't matter if I'm cutting the ball to the left or right or straight in. When I miss its usually to the left. I have been working on different stances and bridges, can't shake it. I'm starting to wonder if it's an eye thing. If one of my eyes is stronger/weaker than the other and if it's changing my perception of the shot.

Any ideas on how I might be able to resolve this?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So here is my issue with missed shots, 90-95% of any shot I miss it's to the left side of the pocket. Doesn't matter if I'm cutting the ball to the left or right or straight in. When I miss its usually to the left. I have been working on different stances and bridges, can't shake it. I'm starting to wonder if it's an eye thing. If one of my eyes is stronger/weaker than the other and if it's changing my perception of the shot.

Any ideas on how I might be able to resolve this?

So on a left cut you overcut it, and on a right cut you undercut it? Have you checked to see what your vision center is?

ktrepal85

Banned
Let me get this straight: This has nothing to do with always missing to the inside or outside, it's just your left? For example in one scenario you will overcut the ball to the left and in another scenario you will undercut the ball to the left?

Are you wearing shoes on both feet or only the right foot?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You know, cbi, this is going to sound rather simplistic, but try practicing missing to the right, for awhile. All things considered, it should work out over time. :smile:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'd suggest that you get Gene Albrect's Perfect Aim DVD & call Gene before you even look at the DVD.

Gene has been studying these types of issue for years.

Good Luck in finding a solution.

Best 2 you & All,
Rick

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
So on a left cut you overcut it, and on a right cut you undercut it? Have you checked to see what your vision center is?

Yep, on a cut to the left i over cut and a cut to the right i undercut....

Vision center? Never heard of the term.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
You know, cbi, this is going to sound rather simplistic, but try practicing missing to the right, for awhile. All things considered, it should work out over time. :smile:

Interesting approach. Starting aimiing the the right more. I could try that, but i would think there is a better way, something to do with my body.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Interesting approach. Starting aimiing the the right more. I could try that, but i would think there is a better way, something to do with my body.

In your opening statement you said you missed when 'cutting' the object ball, correct?
You didn't say whether these shot were high angle cuts, or low angle, so I assume they are just cuts in general. Is that right?
Well, in my experience of playing and watching others, I see more shooters hit the object ball too heavy, or fat, when the shot is missed. I'm not sure why that is, but it could be they are afraid they'll miss the ball completely. Who knows.
Anyway, what I do is apply a bit of inside spin to the white ball, but it's not the spin that I'm after. What I want to do is squirt whitey just enough make an even thinner hit on the object ball. Experiment with this concept and see what happens. :)

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a common tendency for right handed players.

It is most often visual perspective related. Try moving your head position during the address, to right or left eye or any point that helps correct this.

And/or check out Joe Tuckers' videos and products at www.JoeTucker.net

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
In your opening statement you said you missed when 'cutting' the object ball, correct?
You didn't say whether these shot were high angle cuts, or low angle, so I assume they are just cuts in general. Is that right?
Well, in my experience of playing and watching others, I see more shooters hit the object ball too heavy, or fat, when the shot is missed. I'm not sure why that is, but it could be they are afraid they'll miss the ball completely. Who knows.
Anyway, what I do is apply a bit of inside spin to the white ball, but it's not the spin that I'm after. What I want to do is squirt whitey just enough make an even thinner hit on the object ball. Experiment with this concept and see what happens. :)

My issue is with ALL shots. straignt in, thin cuts, think cuts, right english, left english, doesn't matter. 90% of my missed shots go to the left side of the pocket.

DRIVES ME CRAZY

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people wish they always missed one way. Then all you do is aim a little bit more to the other side despite your intuition telling you it's wrong. Pretty soon it will become your intuition.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My issue is with ALL shots. straignt in, thin cuts, think cuts, right english, left english, doesn't matter. 90% of my missed shots go to the left side of the pocket.

DRIVES ME CRAZY

I used to do this a lot, and my son still does this, you are almost certainly not lining up your eyes and arm/cue to the right line to make the shot. Your eyes are telling your brain that the balls are in one place, but they are actually a bit off that line. A swerve in your stoke will also do this. Do you have any issues with applying left or right spin? When I was doing this missing thing, I also had an issue with using left spin, it was 50% chance I'd hit with less spin than I want, or no spin at all. Right spin was great for me, it's because I learned to line up wrong, and aim at the wrong spot of the cueball, but over the years my body learned to make the shots by simply moving my cue to the right on the stroke to adjust. This ofcourse is really bad for your game with the random spin you get LOL.

Try moving your head a fraction to the right over your cue, and also when you approach the table to get into your stance, start a tiny bit to the left more than what you normally do. It will feel like you are going to miss by an inch, but likely you will split the pocket right in the middle.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
DRIVES ME CRAZY

Well, that's simple. You aimer's off. :)

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
A couple of other things to check.
Are you 100 percent sure you are hitting center ball when you want to? Try the old CB on the spot and hit down table and back and see if you can hit your tip. Also see if you finish directly straight over the tip. Also check to see that the cue is always over the diamond directly behind the spot.

Now while doing this drill after you finish the shot, stay paused down on the table. Look to see if your cue was brought in closer to the body. You may need to adjust your feet placement as well.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
A couple of other things to check.
Are you 100 percent sure you are hitting center ball when you want to? Try the old CB on the spot and hit down table and back and see if you can hit your tip. Also see if you finish directly straight over the tip. Also check to see that the cue is always over the diamond directly behind the spot.

Now while doing this drill after you finish the shot, stay paused down on the table. Look to see if your cue was brought in closer to the body. You may need to adjust your feet placement as well.

What this guy said !!!!!!!!!!!

Also check out Dr Dave's vision center web pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680o8EChP_o

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/eyes.html

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Went thru this last year... Turns out I have an astigmatism that is too slight for the eye doctor to even talk to me about... he put me into contacts and I could see better but was still missing to the left...

Didn't matter what I did as far as changing my head position.... After a few months and Joe Tucker coming thru and confirming I was hitting where I was aimed I just wasn't seeing it correctly... I went back and the eye doctor told me about the astigmatism.... He said they didn't even make contact to correct it and it shouldn't be a problem... I then asked him if it MIGHT be a problem if I was ohhh say a marksman or maybe a pool player... At which point he hooked me up with some glasses that corrected the issue....

bzzzt not completely... The focus point in regular glasses is in the middle of the lense as is my astigmatism correction... I will be ordering a pair of billiards glasses likely at the end of summer...