What do you do with chalk when it gets low?

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pull off the top half of the paper? Sand it down by rubbing the top on a sidewalk? Throw it out?

Sand it with medium grade sand paper. It flattens it out nicely. I place the sandpaper on a smooth hard surface.

Repeat until it is too small and toss.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
chunk it. we have got to keep this economy going. those dank recyclers gonna put us all in the ...

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the UK, we use special Triangle chalk. Basically, at the end of each session you brush all the chalk off the table into a special container along with your chalk block and it presses it back into the block.

Doubles the life of a chalk by 67%.

Someone got the idea from the terminator 2 film when the terminator loses his arm on the back of the car and runs after it and it slips back into his shoe.

So cool - it had to come to pool eventually.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I toss it in a box with other used/low cubes of chalk. I keep one used/low cube on the table to chalk my break cue and use a newer cube for my playing cue.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
My favorite poolhall keeps a big box of chalk at the front desk, and replaces the chalk on a regular basis as customers like new pieces, and the Owner never wants to see a drilled out piece of chalk. Usually this is a non issue for me, unless I go to another poolhall where chalk doesn't flow as freely.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Masters is cheap and works adequately so I drop it in the trash bin at about halfway and buy more, that way I know Master will stay in business so my friends here on AZB will always have chalk. :thumbup:

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk is cheap but, it seems like a waste to just throw it out. I get out my hack saw cut it down then touch it up with a file. Works good.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep a big glass bowl by my table in the basement. Toss them there just to see how long before it'll get filled. About 5 years to go.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the sides get to the paper (I'm a drill/swipe hybrid chalker) I throw the cube away (or leave it if I'm out at a hall). Since I basically throw away 80% of the cube, I thought I'd try sanding it down on a coarse sanding block. It worked ok, but the difference in height of the sides felt weird. It may have been in my head, but for what Masters sells for I decided I didn't need to fight that battle.

I have occasionally wondered about pressing used chalks into new blocks. Is that actually a thing?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Doubles the life of a chalk by 67%.

Still trying to get my head around that math....:eek:

Thinking of starting a small company for recycling blue Masters combined with Kamui...
...Make-up for Smurfs.
Seeking investors....guaranteed to double your money 3.5% of the time.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Chalk saws

Chalk is cheap but, it seems like a waste to just throw it out. I get out my hack saw cut it down then touch it up with a file. Works good.

Someone told me one time some of the rooms had chalk saws....anyone?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I save them, put them on a ledge that i can see from my table.

When i get into a tough shot, i look over at them and remember i have seen it, been there, done that.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pull off the top half of the paper? Sand it down by rubbing the top on a sidewalk? Throw it out?

It just occurred to me, if you use a chalk holder you can double the life of a piece of chalk. Just flip it over and make a new dimple in the bottom and there you go. A new piece of chalk.