What do you do with chalk when it gets low?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Instead of throwing it out, how about offering to others on AZ for the price of shipping and handling?

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never threw out a piece of chalk. Don't have a home table and only used Master which is supplied by the poolroom. I let the houseman worry about old worn down chalk. Never even think about it.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've swiped the Magic for c. ten weeks. I swiped and sanded the Blue Diamond also. The Master, I merely rotated around the tip, but for not as long, as I switched to BD, and then to MC.

I concentrated on swiping thinking it was the thing to do. It would improve my miscue performance, and keep my ferrule cleaner. Neither occurred.

I feel like an experienced player as I swipe my tip, but in all honesty, cannot see any benefit of doing so. I feel once the cube has been slightly broken in, that a gentle rubbing of the tip with a circular, off angle motion of the chalk is equally as effective as the "He must be good. Look how he chalks his tip" approach. Thoughts? Perhaps I'm missing something...??? :shrug:

The hard foam sanding block is a piece of the original that I purchased at Lowes. It cuts easily with a single edged razor or a serrated knife. It takes down the sides quickly and very uniformly, and also maintains a sharp wrapper top profile. Maybe 2 or 3 bucks...

IMG_6247-1.JPG

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still trying to get my head around that math....:eek:

Thinking of starting a small company for recycling blue Masters combined with Kamui...
...Make-up for Smurfs.
Seeking investors....guaranteed to double your money 3.5% of the time.

are yes.. sarcasm humour - hard for the colonials to undesrtand

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I think you guys are wasting lots of good chalk. Nothing wrong with using the sidewalk to sand the older pieces down. No need for sandpaper, saws or files..... the chalk still gets on the tip.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just pick it up and say "It's gonna be alright, little buddy." Maybe take him out and introduce him to some nice girl chalks. That sort of thing.

Aaron

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the sides get to the paper (I'm a drill/swipe hybrid chalker) I throw the cube away (or leave it if I'm out at a hall). Since I basically throw away 80% of the cube, I thought I'd try sanding it down on a coarse sanding block. It worked ok, but the difference in height of the sides felt weird. It may have been in my head, but for what Masters sells for I decided I didn't need to fight that battle.

I have occasionally wondered about pressing used chalks into new blocks. Is that actually a thing?

I wondered the same about collecting a bunch of used chalk (all types) and pressing them back into reformed usable hybrid pieces! (Anyone do this?)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I've swiped the Magic for c. ten weeks. I swiped and sanded the Blue Diamond also. The Master, I merely rotated around the tip, but for not as long, as I switched to BD, and then to MC.

I concentrated on swiping thinking it was the thing to do. It would improve my miscue performance, and keep my ferrule cleaner. Neither occurred.

I feel like an experienced player as I swipe my tip, but in all honesty, cannot see any benefit of doing so. I feel once the cube has been slightly broken in, that a gentle rubbing of the tip with a circular, off angle motion of the chalk is equally as effective as the "He must be good. Look how he chalks his tip" approach. Thoughts? Perhaps I'm missing something...??? :shrug:

The hard foam sanding block is a piece of the original that I purchased at Lowes. It cuts easily with a single edged razor or a serrated knife. It takes down the sides quickly and very uniformly, and also maintains a sharp wrapper top profile. Maybe 2 or 3 bucks...

View attachment 390535

It sounds like you chalk the same way I do. When I dont need to work real hard on the layout I just pick up the chalk with my bridge hand and drill a big hole kind of. I dont have a problem getting chalk on my ferrule, probably because I dont wear the chalk real deep. If I need to stop and think about what to do at the table I will likely swipe the chalk on my cue and look at the tip at the same time to make sure its covered well, same with break cue.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You remind me of a funny story. I used to play in a bowling alley when I was a teen. It had 10 GC tables and 24 lanes. Really nice family run place. One day the owner who played billiards and had a table there for his own use gets an idea.

He see all this used chalk and has the kid who was kind of the goofer there collect it all up. There was at least a few hundred pieces. He has the kid go behind the machines where there was like a workshop that the bowling mech used.

The kid puts a belt sander in a vice and starts sanding down all the used chalk. Even the ones that were not that low. He gets done and comes out looking like one of those guys in the Blue man troupe
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/450417292707635201/INGRyxSH_400x400.jpeg

This kid was not too bright anyway and being all blue was funny enough but it was not till later that night we found what he had actually done.
About half way through the first league on about 8 of the lanes near where he had worked grinding the chalk the pins were turning blue.

By the end of the night it was a mess, so much of that chalk had gotten into the machines. They had to take all the pins out and clean them as well as the machines. Like everyone who worked in the bowling alley spent all night there doing this.

I guess since we didn't have to pay for it we all found it really funny. We played pool all night as they working cleaning the machines. At that time you could buy a gross of chalk for like $4.00.

Lmao, love the story because I worked in a bowling alley for 6 years and I know the hell of cleaning pins.

Robvandam

PooOooL
I use the tip tapper portion of my ultimate tip tool to sand the chalk down. Alternatively I just cut the edges down.

Though now that I've switched to kamui chalks I find myself naturally chalking more deliberately to get a more evenly worn down cube and hence reducing the need to cut corners and waste that precious material! Hahaha

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Just this morning I had to use the utility knife to trim down the paper on the edges of the cube of Magic Chalk. I'm a "swiper" not a "grinder", so I don't leave a big hole in the middle of the cube. :)

This is what I do with my chalk too.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It just occurred to me, if you use a chalk holder you can double the life of a piece of chalk. Just flip it over and make a new dimple in the bottom and there you go. A new piece of chalk.

That's the best idea I've heard. I'm gonna sell less chalk that way, but I also believe in not being wasteful ;)

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe I'm the 57th poster in this thread. Some say if you chalk right it never gets low. Some are grinders. some are swipers. Are different opinions acceptable in this regard or is there only ONE proper way of chalking. If so, would someone please describe it ?

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe I'm the 57th poster in this thread. Some say if you chalk right it never gets low. Some are grinders. some are swipers. Are different opinions acceptable in this regard or is there only ONE proper way of chalking. If so, would someone please describe it ?

See my photos in post 44. As far as longevity and even practicality, I don't think it matters one way or the other. I religiously swiped the Magic for weeks, and the only result was considerably more chalk on my bridge hand. I think the classic Snooooker swipe with the grip hand is an even greater waste of time. See my photo of the Magic. Any concientious movement of the chalk over a stationary tip is fine. No need to make it unnecessarily complicated.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Leave it on a pool table at the pool room for the bangers to use.

JoeyA