Shouldn't cue's handle be axe handle shape?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Think about it .
Ax handle shape, you won't be able to spin it.
If you do, you will know right away .
Ax handle shape fits the palm perfectly.

Or at least, axe handle shaped butt sleeve ? Should I patent it now ?

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the issue with the cue spinning in the hand? Is it a negative? I don't, but I see quite a few players that spin their cue as they practice stroke.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many top players prefer their cue to always be in the same "position" when striking the cue ball (i.e., the same side of the shaft is always UP).

In effect, this is the same principle as having an "axe handle" cue that would be held in the same position in your hand and may actually feel better to some players.

Whether an "axe handle" would give you the same "feedback" (feel) is another question.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Think about it .

There may be some sort of rule consideration, Joey, but if there are none I would suggest one shaped like a meat cleaver. Most of the people I watch play pool butcher the shit out of it, anyway. :)

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There may be some sort of rule consideration, Joey, but if there are none I would suggest one shaped like a meat cleaver. Most of the people I watch play pool butcher the shit out of it, anyway. :)

Where ya been Tramp? Was thinking of posting a "Where's Tramp" post the other day.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

:thumbup:
Or just make a trainer cue .
I remember years ago, there was a triangle shaped shaft .

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Where ya been Tramp? Was thinking of posting a "Where's Tramp" post the other day.

I been sick, and Mom made me stay home from school.

I raised up and banged my head on a shelf corner and damaged an optical nerve.
The Doctor said I couldn't see straight, which is exactly what my second wife told me years ago.
I'm somewhat better, now. Thanks for asking my friend. :smile:

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Carry on.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
There was a company a couple of decades ago that I think got a patent on a certain angle for the application of hand tools & sporting goods.

They had hammers, baseball bats & tennis rackets, etc with an angled end supposedly to better suit the angle of a closed hand relative to the forearm.

It never took off.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dustin Pedroia uses an axe handled baseball bat. I think that shape is more for pulling than pushing.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
There was a company a couple of decades ago that I think got a patent on a certain angle for the application of hand tools & sporting goods.

They had hammers, baseball bats & tennis rackets, etc with an angled end supposedly to better suit the angle of a closed hand relative to the forearm.

It never took off.

The ax handle baseball bat took off.
Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox uses one.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think about it .

Interesting idea, except that the grip hand isn't always in one spot. It depends on the shot.

martind2112

Registered
The tip would wear out unevenly. Personally, I wouldn't like it because in my PSR I rotate the cue so I don't have to chalk up before every shot.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The ax handle baseball bat took off.
Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox uses one.

One player using it does not mean that it 'took off'

I was in retail sales of sporting goods & we had a few bats & tennis rackets & we did not even sell those few.

If youth leagues & schools used it, then it would have taken off.

Best 2 Ya.

jwh1942

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Jim Barkley diamond wood playing cue that has a "euro-handle" which is a turned down back end.
Not exactly the same as "ax handle" but I believe the concept is also to keep your back hand from using
a spinning motion or twist. Barkley is out of Joplin, Mo. and could probably speak on this as the cue maker (I'm not sure of the physics involved as a player but it does seem to help me).

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tip would wear out unevenly. Personally, I wouldn't like it because in my PSR I rotate the cue so I don't have to chalk up before every shot.

I don't think so, there's a wedge sliced off of the butt of a snooker cue so you can consistently hold it rotated the same way on every shot.

I've never noticed my tip wearing out unevenly on a snooker cue.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I insist, for myself, that a cue be round.
I've even bought British style snooker cues with a chamfer and had them filled in.

My instinct says the perfect cue would be round and straight....I don't want to be
encouraged to hold it a certain way.

..and when you spin with power, the vibrations go right back to the butt......
....I want to feel that.

Years ago, Wilson put out 'reminder' grips on their golf clubs...
...but your hands shouldn't be in the same place for every shot.

martind2112

Registered
I don't think so, there's a wedge sliced off of the butt of a snooker cue so you can consistently hold it rotated the same way on every shot.

I've never noticed my tip wearing out unevenly on a snooker cue.

I remember reading somewhere that the chamfer was a portion of the cue the player could use to strike the cue ball for hard-to-reach shots. Nowadays it's strictly for traditional purpose. I'll try to find the reference.

For thicker tips used in pool, the softer kind would flatten or mushroom unevenly, I believe. In any case, I rotate to avoid chalking more so than I do for uneven wear.

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember reading somewhere that the chamfer was a portion of the cue the player could use to strike the cue ball for hard-to-reach shots. Nowadays it's strictly for traditional purpose. I'll try to find the reference.

For thicker tips used in pool, the softer kind would flatten or mushroom unevenly, I believe. In any case, I rotate to avoid chalking more so than I do for uneven wear.

Sure, might not be what the chamfer was originally designed for, but it's used by many players to hold the cue in the same rotation on every shot. Ronnie O' Sullivan always grips his cue with the flat pointing upwards (maybe he gets a bit more follow through that way?)....he says he copied it off of Steve Davis.

Not to steer the thread off topic.......I like the idea of an ax handle, but I'm thinking that it might wobble to one side or the other in a loose grip during the stroke?

I'd love to try it out if I ever saw someone with one.