Video Instructional of End Pattern Grid Exercise

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Currently uploading a short instructional video I made for a friend (also here on AZB), an exercise I'm hoping others may find useful also:

https://youtu.be/CSWkz7eWrMI

May take a few hours until it's uploaded. Criticism and remarks welcome as always, but please be kind, had an MRI and got six shots in my back and pain killers earlier today, in bad shape once again, but I promised, so here it is…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
You got it set to private... :(

Please try again and let me know! (Forgot to click on "publish" after clicking "upload" before I went to bed. Sorry for the inconvenience!)

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Needless to say, once one is getting bored with the idea of a grid (even including trying to run those out without the cue ball ever touching a rail), one might start setting up only the last three (the "end pattern balls" 3-2-1) and throw out the stripes on the table anywhere. The variations are virtually endless.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Took the inspiration for this exercise from something I remember Steve Mizerak, one of the Straight Pool greats, said: that one shouldn't obsess over how (the order in which) one is getting the first ten or so balls (of each rack) off the table, but start thinking once one gets to the last five or so (shortly before the end pattern).

(At the time, like so many amateur players, I used to be guilty of overthinking, so I'll always remember that as some of the most valuable advice I got, even if I've had to paraphrase above as I'm forgetting the exact words.)

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Took the inspiration for this exercise from something I remember Steve Mizerak, one of the Straight Pool greats, said: that one shouldn't obsess over how (the order in which) one is getting the first ten or so balls (of each rack) off the table, but start thinking once one gets to the last five or so (shortly before the end pattern).

(At the time, like so many amateur players, I used to be guilty of overthinking, so I'll always remember that as some of the most valuable advice I got, even if I've had to paraphrase above as I'm forgetting the exact words.)

Great video! Thanks for posting it. The bold part is very important and useful. I think Mosconi said he plans out the whole rack, or at least up to breaking into the next cluster, but that's Mosconi. Was it also Mizerak who wasn't worried so much about saving break balls until later in the rack? I think someone in the forum mentioned that.

Also, maybe it doesn't need to be said, but I think when Mizerak says not to worry about how you remove the first 10 balls from the rack, that does NOT mean that you shouldn't have a plan for removing those balls. In other words, you still have to go after trouble balls and clusters and have a plan for getting those 10 balls. You shouldn't just start shooting and not plan anything until the last 5, if that makes sense.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Great video! Thanks for posting it. The bold part is very important and useful. I think Mosconi said he plans out the whole rack, or at least up to breaking into the next cluster, but that's Mosconi. Was it also Mizerak who wasn't worried so much about saving break balls until later in the rack? I think someone in the forum mentioned that.

Also, maybe it doesn't need to be said, but I think when Mizerak says not to worry about how you remove the first 10 balls from the rack, that does NOT mean that you shouldn't have a plan for removing those balls. In other words, you still have to go after trouble balls and clusters and have a plan for getting those 10 balls. You shouldn't just start shooting and not plan anything until the last 5, if that makes sense.

Thanks, Dan!

I'm going to say something potentially silly now because, although I'm old enough to have seen Mosconi in person (Wow & WOW! - both the consideration of age and the memory of seeing the grand old man play), I cannot pretend to read the Master's mind, but remember he quit competition at an age when he could still have won titles, perhaps not every competition he'd enter as he was once used to, but surely he was still a threat to win anything in sight, just saying, the man didn't just have more talent than we mere earthlings, he also appears to have put pressure on himself to an extent that may not have contributed to his enjoyment of playing, nor, possibly, his well-being in general. Planning ahead everything (and I know what that's like) can be (doesn't inevitably have to be) a way of putting more pressure on oneself than necessary.

As to the second part, yes, Steve used to say that (the "don't worry about the break shot until later in the rack" part). I've always found it hard to believe, but he sure made it a point to make what was left work, instead of trying to get something superior (as his break shot, or end pattern, or both). But then, he would also go into the clusters more often and sometimes without insurance than other Straight Pool legends like Rempe or Martin etc. To his credit, Steve had the smoothest stroke imaginable, and the shotmaking ability of a top 9-Ball player, both of which did a lot to bail him out of trouble.

It's important to remember that the quote I was thinking of was partly directed at amateurs who overthink and fall into the trap of wanting to get perfect all the time (and agonizing over mistakes, even before their run comes to an end). Needless to say, he'd recognize and leave a nice end pattern alone until the end of a rack as soon as he'd spot one, but it's true that he wouldn't obsess over shooting every ball off the table and make the last one work as his break shot to get into the next rack if he happened to make a minor or major mess of his plan - and there is a lot to be said in favor of being able to shrug off errors or blunders like he did.

Steve is one of my inspirations for a credo I teach students to this day (somewhat badly paraphrased from Swiss German): "Try to find the easiest, most fool-proof thing you can find, something impossible to mess up, then try to execute it to absolute perfection all the same, and then, learn to live with the result."

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Also, I would like to add to my first response above, that trying to plan out everything is not, IMHO, the correct way to play Straight Pool! Jim Rempe would say that this is only what it looks like to the casual observer when the reality is, a great player is constantly changing his mind, looking for something better. It's the ability to adjust that makes a great Straight Pool player. Having said that, in order to be truly great at improvising, one needs to know and be able to execute one's s**t first! ;)

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
IMHO, this drill builds finer CB skills if performed with neither the CB going to a cushion or bumping into other balls. By this method, every gained angle is critical while getting into unplayable positions is all too easy without full concentration and a planned sequence. From here, add rows four and five for even more challenge.

As mentioned in the video, "no bumping of object balls" is a must, while "without the cue ball ever contacting a rail" is recommended to intermediate and advanced players. It's true one could add more balls, but this makes the exercise less concise - the Jim Rempe drill (15 balls, BIH, no rails) already exists, after all, didn't mean to copy that. An alternative to mine would be to set up the "end pattern balls" 1-3 and randomly throw the others on the table (where they land…). Having said that, it's not really the purpose of my drill to "solve problems", in which case it would be bad practice to go to great lengths gettings onto a specific end pattern despite the lay of the other balls (don't try to get too much into an exercise, or one might as well play Straight Pool instead of practicing specific aspects). The purpose of the drill is to get used to running a number of open balls off the table any way one likes, of course without bumping any other, while honing one's skills in recognizing how one gets onto a perfect stop shot pattern at the very end (= in contrast to starting out with a nice stop shot sequence, only to have to improvise at the end, which would effectively teach bad Straight Pool).

Having said all this, I encourage anyone to adapt and change my drills any way they like.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
As I commented on Facebook I will also do the same here.

This is a great end pattern exercise, since watching this I have already passed this drill onto several guys that play in my league that want to improve their games.

Keep up the great work
Steve

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grid

What I find very helpful is drills like this train the mind not only the
pocketing ability / position play of the individual.
I have been doing this and other layouts during practice sessions for months
and I have found That during a 14.1 match at the later stages of rack from time to time I am naturally thinking/seeing the end game.
It's not very easy sometimes I want to pocket balls and acquire points but in 14.1
Playing the right shot is is more important.
Mcp

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
What I find very helpful is drills like this train the mind not only the
pocketing ability / position play of the individual.
I have been doing this and other layouts during practice sessions for months
and I have found That during a 14.1 match at the later stages of rack from time to time I am naturally thinking/seeing the end game.
It's not very easy sometimes I want to pocket balls and acquire points but in 14.1
Playing the right shot is is more important.
Mcp

To me, Straight Pool is meditation. It's what sets it apart from the rotational games, that one is thinking (even not playing oneself: thinking along) all the time, whereas in e.g. 9-Ball, one is primarily executing, as the table pretty dictates what one has to do.

As to playing the "right shot", it's subjective anyhow - as long as one isn't forcing oneself into missing: "Never shoot a shot you could miss!"