Is Elbow Drop after Tip Contact a Bad Thing?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Nice video

Nice Video, thanks

What could be less contrived and more natural than the way a child chooses to do something?

Check out this video. The young girl shoots pretty good with a sidearm stroke that hinges entirely at the elbow. No gravity involved, either, so we can rule out that nonsensical argument of yours about pendulum strokes being strictly gravity driven. She's using just a pure contraction of the biceps - leading to a crisp closure of the elbow joint - and her cue action looks pretty freaking straight to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAtK-Qhlqg

This little girl already shoots great with what seems to be her natural (uncontrived) stroke. I wonder if she even went anywhere with this game?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
What could be less contrived and more natural than the way a child chooses to do something?

Check out this video. The young girl shoots pretty good with a sidearm stroke that hinges entirely at the elbow. No gravity involved, either, so we can rule out that nonsensical argument of yours about pendulum strokes being strictly gravity driven. She's using just a pure contraction of the biceps - leading to a crisp closure of the elbow joint - and her cue action looks pretty freaking straight to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAtK-Qhlqg

This little girl already shoots great with what seems to be her natural (uncontrived) stroke. I wonder if she even went anywhere with this game?

Your 'logic' is totally illogical & misplaced.

I did not even look at the video, but I will & adjust if need be, but I doubt it.

Her method is specifically 'natural' to her specific situation.

Would you suggest that Kareem or Wilt shoot pool with a side arm motion.

This is a very good example of an ulterior motive vs logic & the attempt to make 'models' fit the 'argument' & the ulterior motive.

You are not normally always as such, but your emotions seem to cloud your thinking & 'argument' at times.

Best Wishes to ALL.

PS If a full pendulum stroke is working well enough for you, that's fine. Please continue with it.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL.

Anyway, here are a couple of illustrations from a video Mike Page made.

I'm not picking sides on the pendulum vs piston argument. I'm just telling you what is happening with the shoulder in the context of our recent discussion.

In the first cartoon, on the lower right, it illustrates the "bad" elbow drop. Notice that the shoulder doesn't move.

In the second cartoon, Mike talks about the various problems beginners have with dropping their elbow........one being that the tip raises up and they hit higher on the CB than they realize ("i.e., pivoted about his shoulder")

I don't get the point of the illustration. How many players have there been who stroke entirely with their shoulder and a locked elbow hinge? Even Hoppe opened and closed his elbow - as well as using plenty of wrist and finger action - to straighten out his stroke.

There are advantages to dropping the butt and raising the tip at times. I find it a lot easier to execute a good force follow by dropping the elbow on the final stroke after addressing the CB at the equator. I picked this up from watching Earl, Shane, Corey, and several other top players do the same.

OTOH I find it easier to use just the elbow to get the tip to go lower so I can make a nice soft draw. So, it's not just different strokes for different folks, but different strokes for different shots... at least for most players.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The young girl shoots pretty good with a sidearm stroke that hinges entirely at the elbow.
Her stroke hinges at the elbow and shoulder, as it must in order for a sidearm stroke to be straight. If she could get her elbow directly over the cue a pendulum stroke could be straight for her (arcing only in the vertical plane), but a sidearm pendulum stroke will never be straight (arcing in the horizontal plane).

pj
chgo

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very good example of an ulterior motive vs logic & the attempt to make 'models' fit the 'argument' & the ulterior motive.

You are not normally always as such, but your emotions seem to cloud your thinking & 'argument' at times.

PS If a full pendulum stroke is working well enough for you, that's fine. Please continue with it.

Lol! You are a very funny fellow. FWIW I don't use, nor do I advocate, a "full pendulum stroke". My only ulterior motive is to show you that it can be a natural way to shoot for many folks, and is therefore, not necessarily contrived at all.

Also, to show you that the motion is not caused by gravity, because she's using a sidearm stroke (she can't clear the rails yet) and yet gets the same cue action that a vertical forearm achieves. You constant stressing that a pendulum describes an arc because of gravity (and therefore cannot be straight throughout the contact time) has no logical basis.

The stroke is not a real pendulum at all. If gravity alone was the driving force of the stroke, the fastest speed you could achieve would be the same as would be achieved in free-fall of the hand from the maximum height of the backstroke. Since this is only a few inches, the highest speed attainable through gravity alone would be a couple MPH at best. You should know that from all those physics courses you've taken. :)

It's called a pendulum stroke because it resembles the motion of a pendulum bob, and it's a lot easier to say than "fixed shoulder and hinged elbow stroke".

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Well Mike you did! Its all your fault but so far no casualties but things are heating up a bit! lol

When I played Scott Lee last year he warned me that I didn't understand my stroke mechanics I guess he was right. I am playing a lot better since then but you spotted the elbow drop the other day. I'm pretty sure I have it fixed.

By the way to anyone that read my post.

Scott Lee is one heck of a nice guy who knows a lot about Pool Instruction and were I to go get some he, Fran Crimi and Tom Simpson would be on the list of people I would go to. I would likely also choose Lee Brett. This sort of thing is what Certified Instructors are for and my friend Mike has been to one, which is why I found out early that I had a developing issue. Im just glad I caught it quickly. I could tell in practice the other day that the quality of my cue tip application was much better and the cue ball was doing exactly what I wanted it to. Fundamental problems lead to more problems unless corrected.

You got to love Az!.....

Hi Robin,

Good for you & yes the fundamentals must fit the intended type of stroke & that includes the connection to the cue. I'm glad you're playing better & well, but... if the plan is a piston type stroke, then the slightly 'choked up' position on the cue & the less than 90* relation of the arm to the cue & the elbow NATURALLY dropping as the cue moves in a 'straight' line are not necessarily faults or 'bad' things.

Watch the video of CJ playing Mizerak in one of CJ's earlier tournaments were they both shot over .980, I think, & you'll see what I mean.

There are front, back & mid engine racing cars.

Best 2 You & ALL.

PS Robin, as you well know or use to know, the word 'certified' by itself actually means very little. In fact, in some situations it actually means 'recognized'. If one wants to actually become 'certified' by the PBIAssociation, one has to pay another fee, etc. to obtain the actual 'certified' designation form the Association.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Lol! You are a very funny fellow. FWIW I don't use, nor do I advocate, a "full pendulum stroke". My only ulterior motive is to show you that it can be a natural way to shoot for many folks, and is therefore, not necessarily contrived at all.

Also, to show you that the motion is not caused by gravity, because she's using a sidearm stroke (she can't clear the rails yet) and yet gets the same cue action that a vertical forearm achieves. You constant stressing that a pendulum describes an arc because of gravity (and therefore cannot be straight throughout the contact time) has no logical basis.

The stroke is not a real pendulum at all. If gravity alone was the driving force of the stroke, the fastest speed you could achieve would be the same as would be achieved in free-fall of the hand from the maximum height of the backstroke. Since this is only a few inches, the highest speed attainable through gravity alone would be a couple MPH at best. You should know that from all those physics courses you've taken. :)

It's called a pendulum stroke because it resembles the motion of a pendulum bob, and it's a lot easier to say than "fixed shoulder and hinged elbow stroke".

Apparently you have misunderstood or misinterpreted my use of the word gravity. I did not mean to & do not think that I have ever implied that the stroke is gravity driven. My references were to a true 'pendulum' as the model being a simple 'machine' that is gravity driven.

If the connection to the cue is not correct & is too influential on the cue, then a full pendulum stroke will not work as contrived. That is why the statements of 'let the cue do the work' is so often related to it along with the phase of 'just sort of let the cue sit or rest in the cradle of the hand'.

The intention is to only put an influence on the cue that is allowable by the friction between the cue & the hand.

SO... in a sense the full pendulum stroke IS dependent on gravity.

Best Wishes 2 You & All.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I don't get the point of the illustration. How many players have there been who stroke entirely with their shoulder and a locked elbow hinge? Even Hoppe opened and closed his elbow - as well as using plenty of wrist and finger action - to straighten out his stroke.

There are advantages to dropping the butt and raising the tip at times. I find it a lot easier to execute a good force follow by dropping the elbow on the final stroke after addressing the CB at the equator. I picked this up from watching Earl, Shane, Corey, and several other top players do the same.

OTOH I find it easier to use just the elbow to get the tip to go lower so I can make a nice soft draw. So, it's not just different strokes for different folks, but different strokes for different shots... at least for most players.

:thumbup2::thumbup2:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Never knew such a topic could get so heated.

Pidge,

Topics only get 'heated' when personalities are put into play & disingenuous postings take place for ulterior motives.

When one gets jabbed, one usually responds in kind or with a right cross.

So far I don't see any real heating up. I just see some light sparring.

Best 2 You & ALL.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pidge,

Topics only get 'heated' when personalities are put into play & disingenuous postings take place for ulterior motives.

When one gets jabbed, one usually responds in kind or with a right cross.

So far I don't see any real heating up. I just see some light sparring.

Best 2 You & ALL.
Either way, it's still a pathetic subject to argue over.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Either way, it's still a pathetic subject to argue over.

Perhaps.

But some don't want ANY of the other side of a coin to be shown...

or any possible 'fault' with 'their' side of the coin.

And IMO that is not a good thing.

Logical arguments are often a good thing.

When both sides are seen then individuals can make their own determinations as well that they should.

Blindly following can get one into some trouble in many aspects of life.

Best Wishes to You & ALL.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps.

But some don't want ANY of the other side of a coin to be shown...

or any possible 'fault' with 'their' side of the coin.

And IMO that is not a good thing.

Logical arguments are often a good thing.

When both sides are seen then individuals can make their own determinations as well that they should.

Blindly following can get one into some trouble in many aspects of life.

Best Wishes to You & ALL.
Lol.

You are the worst offender for not wanting to find fault with their side of the coin... And I mean it in the nicest way possible. All I ever seem to see from you is you arguing the toss over pointless little things because it doesn't agree with what you, Fran, Gene or CJ believe. I honestly believe you would blindly accept and follow what ever those 3 suggested. Logical arguments are never a good thing. It ends up going off topic, name calling and ruins the forum. Logical debates on the other hand, without the name calling and offending others are extremely healthy for this forum.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could give a rats ass on which type stroke one uses.......piston vs pendulum. I think a pure pendulum stroke is more accurate but hard to accomplish for some people due to body habitus, body position in full stance, grip placement, etc. My elbow drops but I strive to have that happen after contact.

This whole thing about the shoulder started when I read Fran's post #114 where she wrote "shoulder drop" about 7-8 times. I was just pointing out that it's the upper arm and elbow that drops, not the shoulder. The illustrations were just a tool to show that the elbow is allowed to drop because of shoulder flexion or as some have said on here, "hinges at the shoulder." You can actually drop your elbow all the way to the bed of the table without the shoulder joint lowering one bit, it has a very wide range of motion.....unlike the elbow that can only go up/down (flex/extend).

ENGLISH!'s responses to whomever, positive or negative, are based solely on whether on not he likes them or not. It must really strain his brain to have to put together so much BS when replying to me and MANY others even when clearly the one he responds to is clearly right. This a clear pattern that has been going on for YEARS.

Good god Kentucky. Quit trying to correct Fran all the time.

#extendingthearmisnotapullingmotion

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've had a background check by the Federal Government & am totally clean.
You certainly bring out the worst in people. You should have a lifetime ban.
Rick,

I know you probably have good intentions most of the time, but you do seem to have a special knack for bringing out the worst in people. IMO, your continual barrage of bantering posts also diminishes the value of threads like this (to both existing users who would prefer spend time reading substantive and mature posts, and to possible new users who might stumble upon threads like this hoping to learn something and maybe contribute constructive ideas).

Sometimes, it seems like you just don't know when to stop.

Please read through this entire thread again and try to think how your posts (and the posts of people who respond to you in negative ways) might be perceived by an outsider than might be interested in joining the AZB community. I would hope that such an exercise might help you better understand how and why people relate to you the way they do.

Regards,
Dave

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Rick,

I know you probably have good intentions most of the time, but you do seem to have a special knack for bringing out the worst in people. IMO, your continual barrage of bantering posts also diminishes the value of threads like this (to both existing users who would prefer spend time reading substantive and mature posts, and to possible new users who might stumble upon threads like this hoping to learn something and maybe contribute constructive ideas).

Please read through this entire thread again and try to think how your posts (and the posts of people who respond to you in negative ways) might be perceived by an outsider than might be interested in joining the AZB community. I would hope that such an exercise might help you better understand how and why people relate to you the way they do.

Regards,
Dave

So you are giving him good reason for saying what he did. That says much about you too, sir.

You're timing is not good for me & I am not inclined to give you the time of day right now past this & will not 'banter' with you & your suggestive & baiting post.

You see, it takes one to instigate a reason for 'banter' & one to respond to the instigation of the other.

When I get hit... I hit back. There seems to be an over abundance of hypocrisy here with rather many members. They want to throw barbs but do not like it when their target responds in kind.

Best Wishes to You & ALL but ONE right now.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rick,

Regards,
Dave
Correction:

it seems like you, and the people who continue to encourage and incite you, just don't know when to stop.

I sure hope the percentage of substantive and mature posts increases both in this thread and in the Main Forum as a whole in the near future.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited: