All Around Match - Alex vs Dennis - Who Wins?!

Who Wins in an All Around Match?

• Dennis

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Alex

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • I am not sure but I hope John French wears a muzzle

Votes: 14 10.8%

• Total voters

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In snooker, Alex has demonstrated that he's not world championship class, unable to even earn a spot on the main snooker circuit. England's Mark Gray, in contrast, is in the world's top 70 in snooker, so that is something to be taken seriously as evidence of all-around skill. Obviously, Mark is but a fraction the pool player. Chinese 8-ball runner up Mark Selby is a great snooker player, too. The two Mark's are stars in two different cuesports, but the same cannot logically be said of Alex.

This makes no sense. We are comparing Dennis and Alex. Alex's snooker may not be quite world class, but it but it would certainly appear to be better than Dennis'. Ergo, adding snooker to the mix favours Alex in the comparison.

Gideon

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This makes no sense. We are comparing Dennis and Alex. Alex's snooker may not be quite world class, but it but it would certainly appear to be better than Dennis'. Ergo, adding snooker to the mix favours Alex in the comparison.

Gideon

Alex's snooker experience has exactly zero bearing on who'd win an all-around at pool right now. You keep going off topic.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
In snooker, Alex has demonstrated that he's not world championship class, unable to even earn a spot on the main snooker circuit. England's Mark Gray, in contrast, is in the world's top 70 in snooker, so that is something to be taken seriously as evidence of all-around skill. Obviously, Mark is but a fraction the pool player. Chinese 8-ball runner up Mark Selby is a great snooker player, too. The two Mark's are stars in two different cuesports, but the same cannot logically be said of Alex.

I've played snooker against Alex and have to disagree with you here. ability wise he's definitely capable of being on the tour. What he seems to lack is really interest, mainly in devoting himself to that game with the level of seriousness needed. In pool he can take things easy and stay at or near the top of all his games, but he really can't do that at snooker when all the other guys are training hard and practicing eight hours a day.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've played snooker against Alex and have to disagree with you here. ability wise he's definitely capable of being on the tour.

... Ability wise, so is Orcullo if he ever wants it bad enough.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Alex and Dennis played an all around, I think the real winner(s) would be all of us.

I wish this site had a "like" button. save me the bother of all this typing....:D

The irony is that these 2 are the same age, are best of friends and have been battling it out for more than a decade, for free on crappy equipment in the PHI , in front of locals only.
Never streamed.

Last edited:

POOLGODBEWITHME

Tom "B" player
Silver Member
Dennis has not won one pocket

Career resumes are similar, and I suspect Dennis has more WPA titles, but the thread is about who'd win an all-around today, and it's fine if you wish to call Alex a slight favorite, but this would be really close.

If and when Alex snaps of the all-around at the Derby, it will speak volumes. Each of them has won in all three primary disciplines at the Derby, but Dennis has also won the Big Foot 10-ball and also the DCC 14.1 event. I don't think Alex has won either of the last two. No other player in the world, to my knowledge, has won all five of these events at the Derby.

Actually, if anything, his snooker performances subtract from Alex's resume.

Alex is the only person to have won all three primary disciplines. Nobody else has ever done it. There are a few with two out of three. You could get two more with all three this year if say, Shane wins the banks, and Dennis wins one pocket. Or even if Efren wins the banks. Varner just needs a 9 ball win to get all three, and Daulton needs one pocket. I think Dennis is a great player, but Alex with his head right is the favorite IMO. I think Alex made the finals of the 14.1 also. But it could have been the semi-final.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis(10b,8b) actually beat Shane(1p) in an all-around on TAR. Dennis(8b,10b) also beat Dazz(1p) in an all-around on TAR too.

I could be mistaken on who won what.

I think it really is a flip of the coin between Dennis, Shane, Dazz, and Alex in an all-around.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Alex is the only person to have won all three primary disciplines. Nobody else has ever done it. There are a few with two out of three. You could get two more with all three this year if say, Shane wins the banks, and Dennis wins one pocket. Or even if Efren wins the banks. Varner just needs a 9 ball win to get all three, and Daulton needs one pocket. I think Dennis is a great player, but Alex with his head right is the favorite IMO. I think Alex made the finals of the 14.1 also. But it could have been the semi-final.

My mistake on Orcullo in the one pocket. You are right, Alex reached the 14.1 final once, in 2011.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the games are 8-ball, 14.1, one pocket, and 9-ball, Darren Appleton might be able to stay with either of these two.

But if it's Alex vs Dennis, I'm picking Dennis.

Just fire power I agree but gambling I give edge to DO over both ,, I

Last edited:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My mistake on Orcullo in the one pocket. You are right, Alex reached the 14.1 final once, in 2011.

Alex has much more experience playing one pocket than Dennis. Dennis just started playing one hole in the last few years.

IMHO Alex is the favorite in one pocket. He took Scott Frost apart twice for the money. I am talking about one hole on a table with tight pockets as its supposed to be played.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just fire power I agree but gambling I give edge to DO over both ,, I

Gambling?....Pinoys?
Of the greatest money players who ever came out of the Philippines....
...Jose Parica leads the list, with Alex right behind.

When cards and dice are treating them unkindly, they've been backed....
..but Alex and Jose have bet more of their OWN money by accident than most players
will ever bet on purpose.

Of the current American players, I will put Shane and Scott in this category also.
.....there are more.

But a lot of so-called money players need a 'board meeting' when the cash gets put up...
.....and Dennis is one of those.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Anyone who doesn't think it's Alex is not paying attention. He plays world class anything and his heart and gamble is the stuff of legends. Who else but him could have come back from that big deficit to catch and beat Shane.

When SVB get in front of Dennis he folds like a cheap suit and sulks in his chair.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling?....Pinoys?
Of the greatest money players who ever came out of the Philippines....
...Jose Parica leads the list, with Alex right behind.

When cards and dice are treating them unkindly, they've been backed....
..but Alex and Jose have bet more of their OWN money by accident than most players
will ever bet on purpose.

Of the current American players, I will put Shane and Scott in this category also.
.....there are more.

But a lot of so-called money players need a 'board meeting' when the cash gets put up...
.....and Dennis is one of those.

ROALMFAO Dennis was know as the best cash player before Shane came along ,,

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who doesn't think it's Alex is not paying attention. He plays world class anything and his heart and gamble is the stuff of legends. Who else but him could have come back from that big deficit to catch and beat Shane.

When SVB get in front of Dennis he folds like a cheap suit and sulks in his chair.

Alex has zero chance beating Shane or Dennis right now 10 ball long set ,, he gets 10 games on the wire

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has to show faith in his horse, just like coaches have to show faith in their players.

I think he would put up the money to make the match happen, if Alex wants to play, just like he put up 50k for Dennis to play Shane (considering Dennis' record against Shane).