Making a Comeback at 50 Y.O. ~ Video of recent try.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey AZBers,
It's been about 9 years since I've got enthusiastic about billiard sports. Back then I attempted to 'fast learn' US 8 ball for the IPT.

Over the last few months I've been energized to practice more often than I have in years. I've got a 7 foot English 8-ball table in my lounge room and a few weeks ago I added a 12 foot English Snooker table to my garage. I had to take down my US 9 foot table to make room for the snooker table.

Nothing fine tunes one's game like tournament play, so I've started lining up tournaments to play in. Unfortunately, the predominate sport in my region is English style 2-shot pool. It's a leveler type of game, like 1-pocket, but with a different type of strategy, often reflected in pocket blocking, but at the high end of execution, it can be an aggressive game requiring high accuracy, as proved by ex-proponents such as Darren Appleton, Chris Melling, Jason Shaw, Gareth Potts, Darryl Peach and World no.1 snooker player Mark Selby.

On the weekend just passed, I played in a qualifier for the largest event in Australia. In the last 8 of this double elimination, race to 5 tournament I ran into a British Lions (UK Team) representative Temujin Dixon, and the game was recorded on video by Dan of Cueball TV, who does a great job with video on pool events.

My match is covered in the first 80 minutes of this video. Commentary starts at around 8 minutes into the video. There are some streaming problems around 15 mins in which last for 3-4 mins, but most of the match is well covered at good quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR_l-QqBRl0

Hope you enjoy. I know I've got some improvement ahead of me, but thought some of you might enjoy seeing a fellow member out there having a go.

Match goes to a decider btw. Maybe a bad gambit by me at the end, but that's part of the comeback process.

Cheers,
Colin :wink:

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Absolutely over 50's can get back in the game... Only thing is I wouldn't want my first tourney coming back to played on tables that play like those in the vid. They play like your on grass..lol... Painfully S l o w ... :)

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely over 50's can get back in the game... Only thing is I wouldn't want my first tourney coming back to played on tables that play like those in the vid. They play like your on grass..lol... Painfully S l o w ... :)

A few of us here are scratching our heads why people turn their noses up on napless cloth.

We're stuck with a marketing campaign in the early 1900's that only assisted billiard players to make a few scratch shots.

#NapIsStupid

Colin

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will do just fine Colin. Looks like you put on a few pounds. :)

Relax the shooting hand and the arm.

I miss those incredible stroke shots you make, awesome.

I'm 69 and still continue to work on my fundamentals and game. Love the game, been playing since 1963.

Hang in there.

John

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will do just fine Colin. Looks like you put on a few pounds. :)

Relax the shooting hand and the arm.

I miss those incredible stroke shots you make, awesome.

I'm 69 and still continue to work on my fundamentals and game. Love the game, been playing since 1963.

Hang in there.

John
You've got about 7 years on me John :) I started playing at 7.

I'm working on smoothing out the stroke. I tend to stare very hard and long to pre-align as accurately as possible, being that I use aim & pivot BHE on a lot of shots. Smooth feathering can encourage unintended adjustments at times. I'll keep working on it and hopefully the process will become faster and smoother with more practice.

Cheers,
Colin

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your post Colin. It is encouraging to me to see people in my age bracket playing competitively and working on their game like you are. I'm 57 and appreciate your post quite a bit. I wish you all the best!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I do like the no stripes, no numbers and colors only. VERY slow cloth. Looks like a tough, small table. You can do it! :smile:

Better luck next time.

JoeyA

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Colin,

You bet there's time for a comeback! I'm heading for 72 this year. No one has to beat me on a bar box. Usually beat myself with a poor safety or missed shot. Yes, the eyes aren't what they used to be. The brain is still there and still learning!!! Here's to your next fifty!

Lyn

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm not going to lie, English 8 ball is not my favourite game, but I did enjoy watching it. I really thought you were going to win the match, as you had a couple of good chances. You played very well, though. You did some things that were pretty clever, and made some choices I kind of disagreed with. But I'm far from an expert on this game. It was a great comeback, and I really feel you had a very good chance of winning.

I've played the game several times, but the rules I've played by have been different every time, so there are certain nuances that I found a little bit surprising.. As s snooker player primarily, I kept seeing aggressive shots, and my safety choices would have been a bit different. I guess the slow cloth and light cueball make this game very different from both snooker and regular US pool. The tables looked tough, and super bouncy.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Comeback to what level? What level were you at when playing your best and when?

For me, I got back to my highest level on the BB after two strokes, a heart attack, and many other health problems. I could give Gene (perfect aim guy) the orange crush on health ailments. On a 9'...not even close to my highpoint on one.

Best of luck to you. Just go for it and have fun along the way. Johnnyt

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going to lie, English 8 ball is not my favourite game, but I did enjoy watching it. I really thought you were going to win the match, as you had a couple of good chances. You played very well, though. You did some things that were pretty clever, and made some choices I kind of disagreed with. But I'm far from an expert on this game. It was a great comeback, and I really feel you had a very good chance of winning.

I've played the game several times, but the rules I've played by have been different every time, so there are certain nuances that I found a little bit surprising.. As s snooker player primarily, I kept seeing aggressive shots, and my safety choices would have been a bit different. I guess the slow cloth and light cueball make this game very different from both snooker and regular US pool. The tables looked tough, and super bouncy.
Not my favorite game either and I also don't agree with all my shot choices, but the commentators can't always see the reasoning behind some shots, not the intention.

It's the main competitive game in these woods, so a good way to get some tournament experience. I've recently set up a snooker table, so keen to work on that game over the next year or so, which provides a good foundation for UK 8-ball and US pool.

It can be hard to transition from the small balls and table to the bigger tables, but it can be done as shown by some of the higher level players like Potts, Appleton, Selby, Hann, Melling, Shaw etc.

I try to go for the outs whenever there seems to be half a chance. That's the best way to start making more clearances under pressure I figure. No doubt I'll throw away a lot of frames unless I improve in that regard.

Cheers,
Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comeback to what level? What level were you at when playing your best and when?

For me, I got back to my highest level on the BB after two strokes, a heart attack, and many other health problems. I could give Gene (perfect aim guy) the orange crush on health ailments. On a 9'...not even close to my highpoint on one.

Best of luck to you. Just go for it and have fun along the way. Johnnyt
I don't want to set any limits Johnny, but I'd like to get to a level where I like my chances of finishing in the last 8 of the $10k+ tournaments with 200+ players, as I was doing about 20 years ago. The depth of quality players is probably higher these days, so I'd need to be a bit better than I was back then.

I'd also like to get my snooker to a level to threaten for finals in our national level comps. Got a fair way to go there, but anything's possible I guess, if I can keep improving my pre-alignment and do plenty of drills to improve CB position and pattern play.

Also planning to play the odd US pool event around here, but it's not my priority, as not many events of these type around here, and most require considerable travel.

Perhaps the main goal is just to enjoy the feel of knowing the OB is going in and that my CB is going to where I want and making the odd big shot that makes people wonder how I did that. ;-)

Cheers,
Colin

Last edited: