Bar Rules Like Wildfire Part 28

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I'm at the bar (shocking!), and a dude breaks playing 8-ball and scratches.

Dude 1: well, technically, you lost

Dude 2: I know. What are you drinking?

Dude 1: Coors Light

Dude 2: Cool. Want to shoot them anyway for shits (and giggles), not playing for anything?

Dude 1: oh yeah, sure. This is a gentleman's game.

Freddie <~~~ agrees with one thing

PS: how many of you all have heard of"lose in scratch on the break"? Hands? Bueller? Bueller?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm at the bar (shocking!), and a dude breaks playing 8-ball and scratches.

Dude 1: well, technically, you lost

Dude 2: I know. What are you drinking?

Dude 1: Coors Light

Dude 2: Cool. Want to shoot them anyway for shits (and giggles), not playing for anything?

Dude 1: oh yeah, sure. This is a gentleman's game.

Freddie <~~~ agrees with one thing

PS: how many of you all have heard of"lose in scratch on the break"? Hands? Bueller? Bueller?

Only by necessity on coin ops. Otherwise, wut?

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, fairly common occurrence down south of miami....ever since we lost our only pool room 4 years ago, the rules that are coming out of thin air are shockingly hilarious.

Ball in hand behind the head string on fouls (no spotting of ball - ever) is another newer bar rule ive seen down here

Shenanigans

Registered
APA rules are 8 on the break is a win, 8 on the break scratch is a loss. Probably due to league matches on coin op tables. You were may have been watching two APA players match up.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
scratch on a break is a loss eh?

never heard that one

bout as dumb as 8 on the break wins to me

bar table 8ball a gentlemens game,
mmmmmmmkaaaaaaaayyyy

Shenanigans

Registered
The OP did not mention that the 8 was made on the break, just that he scratched.

Clearly I should not post before I have had my coffee. So just a scratch on the break equals loss? Got nothing for that, wonder what else is a loss of game.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
the prancing that ensues when one makes the 8 on the break on a 6ft table,

as if they could repeat it like they were actually skilled,

pure pot luck and ill have no part of it thank you

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Clearly I should not post before I have had my coffee. So just a scratch on the break equals loss? Got nothing for that, wonder what else is a loss of game.

no telling

i was told that you may NOT rack your own, that its akin with cheating
somehow giving yourself an upper hand or an edge

ofcourse when i ask how they just go, uhhhh

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
A few years ago I was playing 8-ball in a small town bar in Colorado when the cue ball got away from me on the break and flew off the table. When the ball hit the floor I became the center of attention as I then had to put $1 in the kitty, per their custom.

A couple games later I made the 8 on the break and again all eyes were on me. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I had just won the entire kitty of $15.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
We had a pool room that charged 50 cents if you knocked a ball off the table-ridiculous. If you dropped the 8 on the break on your birthday, you got the pot. Owner emptied the pot every month. Big winnings there... Oh pool room no longer open lol

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've learned to treat anything I hear involving pool in a bar as background noise. There was a time that I would interject in certain instances, however the ignorant do not like to be told that they are ignorant, especially when any type of gamble is involved. It is a shames though, the first step towards some short of acceptance is a unified rule set. Bangers like these rules because they can win a game without ever stepping to the table. No victory in my eyes. I certainly would not make the guy pay up, that is a dick move.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
A few years ago I was playing 8-ball in a small town bar in Colorado when the cue ball got away from me on the break and flew off the table. When the ball hit the floor I became the center of attention as I then had to put $1 in the kitty, per their custom.

A couple games later I made the 8 on the break and again all eyes were on me. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I had just won the entire kitty of $15.

Since you weren't aware of the kitty they could have given it to your opponent for a bad luck pot.

🎱

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard of scratch on the break is a loss. One of the dumbest things I ever heard. I was playing a one rack tournament in a bar, ran everybody of the table. Final rack I broke and scratched. I was informed that I lost, funny it was the first I've ever heard of this, I certainly did not go quietly, hundred dollars I'd a hundred dollars. They acted as if there was something wrong with me for not knowing this rule. Like I said the ignorant don't like to be told how ignorant they are.

Eric<~~~~~ not the ignorant one

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
i've learned to treat anything i hear involving pool in a bar as background noise. There was a time that i would interject in certain instances, however the ignorant do not like to be told that they are ignorant, especially when any type of gamble is involved. It is a shames though, the first step towards some short of acceptance is a unified rule set. Bangers like these rules because they can win a game without ever stepping to the table. no victory in my eyes. I certainly would not make the guy pay up, that is a dick move.

tap tap tap!

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was transitioning from banger to terrible player, I'd play people for drinks or a couple bucks in bars. There's a list f things I'd have to go over, including the scratch on break loss rule, before we could start. It's bizarre some of the stuff I had to clarify for a $2 beer.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That ball didn't go clean, it hit the rail first and you didn't call that.

If someone tells you that, call him as soon as his ball hits the facing before going in. Hey, it's part of the rail.

Best shit move I ever heard was the one my brother described to me while he was beating a banger.
The banger said HE has to call what pocket the shooter ( my brother ) should shoot the 8 to.

Good luck in explaining to these bar bangers, you have to hit a rail after contact.