"Hustling": Is It Sleazy Or Clever (Or Both)?

Is "Hustling" Sleazy, Clever, or Both?

• I Think Hustling Is Sleazy.

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • I Think Hustling Is Clever.

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • I Think Hustling Is Both Sleazy & Clever.

Votes: 154 47.7%

• Total voters

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On many challenge tables in a bar full of people, if you lose, you may not get back to the table for a LONG time. So yes, when I play on them I try to win every game. I won 16 games in a row once. It's best if there is only one table in the bar, because then after the players have waited a long time for their turn, you will most likely get as least one game out of them.

What youre saying is absolutely true and I get it but use this example. So you've been on the table for a little while. Next guy up is someone that you have already played and won and you were able to gauge his game pretty good. You can tell he is not a run out player. So back to present game, you break and make a ball. You have a shot a the 1 and you are pretty confident you will be out from there most of the time. So, instead of running out and scaring him and whoever else is watching you just play safe, rattle it, go for a combo on the nine or whatever . Yes there is a risk this guy MIGHT get out but it is a calculated risk and probably 9 out of 10 times this guy run 3,4, or 5 balls, get out of line and miss . So then when it's your turn back at the table and you get out and win. What I am about to say next is totally going to sound like an excuse just trying to validate my viewpoint but it's actually not because SOMETIMES this actually is the case.

So being that often a challenge table is only $5 or $10 action there are gonna be guys that don't mind losing and will continue playing just because they enjoy the action and are having a good time regardless of whether they are winning or losing since it's such a small amount of money. So if you take your foot off the gas a little and don't just straight demolish the guy he will have a much better time and actually enjoy himself. Also along these same lines he may have his girl with himy and if you are just bending this guy over game after game it may be very embarrassing for him with his girl there. Like I said, I know full well how this statement comes across but it actually does have some validity to it.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
What youre saying is absolutely true and I get it but use this example. So you've been on the table for a little while. Next guy up is someone that you have already played and won and you were able to gauge his game pretty good. You can tell he is not a run out player. So back to present game, you break and make a ball. You have a shot a the 1 and you are pretty confident you will be out from there most of the time. So, instead of running out and scaring him and whoever else is watching you just play safe, rattle it, go for a combo on the nine or whatever . Yes there is a risk this guy MIGHT get out but it is a calculated risk and probably 9 out of 10 times this guy run 3,4, or 5 balls, get out of line and miss . So then when it's your turn back at the table and you get out and win. What I am about to say next is totally going to sound like an excuse just trying to validate my viewpoint but it's actually not because SOMETIMES this actually is the case.

So being that often a challenge table is only $5 or $10 action there are gonna be guys that don't mind losing and will continue playing just because they enjoy the action and are having a good time regardless of whether they are winning or losing since it's such a small amount of money. So if you take your foot off the gas a little and don't just straight demolish the guy he will have a much better time and actually enjoy himself. Also along these same lines he may have his girl with himy and if you are just bending this guy over game after game it may be very embarrassing for him with his girl there. Like I said, I know full well how this statement comes across but it actually does have some validity to it.
If the balls are laying where I "can" run out, I will always try to do so. Although, when not playing ball in hand rules, if there is a cluster I know I can't break out or more than one cluster, I "may" occasionally know that I'm going to miss by trying a shot where I will either breakup a troubled ball and/or leave the cue ball in a bad position for my opponent.

EDIT: I guess my point is, there are plenty of "natural" opportunities to not be able to run out and to give my opponent a chance to shoot, but hopefully for them not to run out.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The degree to which people can rationalize and justify their dishonesty is truly amazing. Misrepresentations for the purpose of financial gain are dishonest. No matter who else is doing it or to what extent. It is dishonest. No matter what kind of movie has been made about the people doing it. No matter how much the film-maker uses his art to make you root for the guy he wants you to root for even though you despise his every value.

Now you can rationalize that and justify it all you want but that doesn't change anything.

If that makes me naive and a flat, compared to all of you sharps, that is fine. Sharps tend to die alone and broke and flats tend to die surrounded by their loving family. Even if somewhere along the line the sharp takes the flat for a ride. Because in the end the flat is still a decent person and the sharp is --- well --- a sharp.

I think you're simplifying this situation a little too much.
LOSING your money doesn't make you a decent person.
Some of my nicest wins came from people hustling ME.

And I, for one, do not justify and rationalize my gambling habits....
....I've always liked the excitement and pressure of being in action...
...AND IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WITH PEOPLE THAT THINK THE SAME WAY.

PoolChump

Banned

Sleazy. :thumbup:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Well, the old adage is that you can't hustle an honest man. That any hustle is based in part on the greed of the mark, drawing him in.
Very true Colonel.
I won't ever be mistaken for a hustler.
But once I was playing a friend for $5 a game I believe.
HE offered to raise it to $20!
I agreed.
Hey I bought the UFC PPV that night so I got to recoup some$$! ;)

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool hustling is sleazy. I believe that is common sense. :confused:

Ya know most of the general public that either doesn't play or plays very little use the term " hustler " for anyone they perceive as really good at pool. It's used generically and interchangeable with " pool shark " too. So to the general public the term " hustler " doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone else chime in and give thoughts to my challenge table example. I am going to say this upfront : If 10 people on here say they would just get up and play balls to the wall and try to absolutely crush every person that gets on the table I am calling BS on 9 of them!

I would, but I suck and would be lucky to win against half-way decent players even if playing my very best game, so that in itself doesn't tell you much.

Gideon

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would, but I suck and would be lucky to win against half-way decent players even if playing my very best game, so that in itself doesn't tell you much.

Gideon

I think Gideon is laying down trying to get more weight!!!! 😆

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya know most of the general public that either doesn't play or plays very little use the term " hustler " for anyone they perceive as really good at pool. It's used generically and interchangeable with " pool shark " too. So to the general public the term " hustler " doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation.
I think there is a vast difference in how people in this thread define hustling as well. I think hustling is wrong but that is by my definition which I think is quite different than some of the "pro hustling " posters on thread. Take pt for example, most of what he is posting just sounds like gambling to me and not trying to essentially rob someone (which is what I consider hustling).

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I've not read the thread, but how about it's like stealing. sort of like when the fix is in on a horse race or a boxing match.

It was only a movie...but...

Eddie got his thumbs broken.

PS satan invented deception, I think.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
just happened to have my TV on an hour ago and tuned in to cbs when the Evening News w/ Scott Pelle was coming on.

The opening summary of stories to come on included an announcement that the venerable reporter, Morley Safer, was retiring after 50+ years at cbs. The clip they chose was from the following interview he did with Gleason. In the tease they left in the Safer voice over where he refers to Gleason as "a 68 year old hustler." :smile:

As he prepares to shoot, Gleason asks, "you sure you don't have any money?" :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWcRxg8fCY

Carry on.

best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
just happened to have my TV on an hour ago and tuned in to cbs when the Evening News w/ Scott Pelle was coming on.

The opening summary of stories to come on included an announcement that the venerable reporter, Morley Safer, was retiring after 50+ years at cbs. The clip they chose was from the following interview he did with Gleason. In the tease they left in the Safer voice over where he refers to Gleason as "a 68 year old hustler." :smile:

As he prepares to shoot, Gleason asks, "you sure you don't have any money?" :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWcRxg8fCY

Carry on.

best,
brian kc
Did you notice, KC, that they were using Centennials with a blue circle cue ball.
So many TV shows and movies show the equivalent of drug store golf balls....
....but The Great One was a POOL PLAYER....uses the real thing. :bow-down:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
yep, agreed, pt, Jackie was the real deal.

In this old 20/20 clip (this is part 2) Hugh Downs and Jackie get into the Hustler a little and mention his "life long passion" for playing pool.

Plus we get a glimpse of his "play room" at his Florida home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdbzJ8bZSgA

best,
brian kc

Fran Crimi, not long ago, basically said that his PR was way better than his game & that he really was not that good at all.

I was a bit surprised.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fran Crimi, not long ago, basically said that his PR was way better than his game & that he really was not that good at all.

I was a bit surprised.

Don't know if he was ever good enough to be considered an A or even a B player but it's pretty clear he loved the game and I think he looked pretty comfortable with a stick in his hand. :)

best,
brian kc

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Don't know if he was ever good enough to be considered an A or even a B player but it's pretty clear he loved the game and I think he looked pretty comfortable with a stick in his hand. :)

best,
brian kc

Yeah, I posted a pic of him & the line of his forearm & made a comment & Fran came back with her stories & I was a bit surprised.

Best to Ya,
Rick

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gambling <>Hustling

One can be an honest gambler, but it is impossible to be an honest hustler. Losing money doesn't make you a decent person. Being honest does, even if the result is losing money.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is probably why the OP made it crystal clear what HE meant by hustler for purposes of the thread.

To refresh out memory:

I am curious to know how fellow azers feel about "hustling", whether or not it's sleazy or if it's clever or possibly even a combination of the two.

To be clear, you can be a money player without being a "Hustler" but almost always a "Hustler" plays for money or some other tangible prize.

For the purpose of this poll we will define "hustler" as someone who hides their true speed, hides who they really are by disguise or other means, or says or does anything else that is not true in an attempt to give themselves some kind of an edge.

It will be a straightforward 3 option poll.

Thanks in advance for your votes and feel free to add your thoughts and comments in the thread.

Last edited: