"Hustling": Is It Sleazy Or Clever (Or Both)?

Is "Hustling" Sleazy, Clever, or Both?

• I Think Hustling Is Sleazy.

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • I Think Hustling Is Clever.

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • I Think Hustling Is Both Sleazy & Clever.

Votes: 154 47.7%

• Total voters

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am curious to know how fellow azers feel about "hustling", whether or not it's sleazy or if it's clever or possibly even a combination of the two.

To be clear, you can be a money player without being a "Hustler" but almost always a "Hustler" plays for money or some other tangible prize.

For the purpose of this poll we will define "hustler" as someone who hides their true speed, hides who they really are by disguise or other means, or says or does anything else that is not true in an attempt to give themselves some kind of an edge.

It will be a straightforward 3 option poll.

Thanks in advance for your votes and feel free to add your thoughts and comments in the thread.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come to the Nation's Capital where good hustling is an art form and will give you power. :D

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
As an example I walked into the pool room a while back and jokingly told a waitress to go find me a game and she came back and said some guy wanted to play me for 100 a game. I only played as well as I needed to. I didn't beat him I let him lose until he was ready to quit. Afterwards I asked why 100 a game and he said he wanted to test himself. I said that was fine but I would have played for 5 a game and told him we could play again some other time if he wanted to and it didn't have to be for 100 a game...What would you do?

At the end of your playing, I'd have given him $95 dollars-a-game back. At the end of THAT session, you'd have both gotten what you came for. Him: his "test", and you: your $5 a game. Unless of course, he INSISTED you take the money and admitting it's not going to hurt him financially.

Maniac

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Everything is a hustle. Pool doesn't have a "black eye" because someone got hustled at a bar. Hustling is a part of pool but it is with everything else you just don't get it. The banks and government know you're a sucker. Commercial businesses and even your boss, they know you're a sucker. There is wrong with hustling. Everyone is trying to have the upper hand and the ones that have the upper hand the most are winners.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If the Hustler, was not Hustling, than the GREEDY Person who was trying to out the hustle someone, There would be no problem. IMHO Pool is a game of skill, and the person with the most skill, and sometime a little luck wins.

Last edited:

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Just depends...

Deception is a big part of a lot of sports and games.

Poker, football, baseball, basketball and on an on.

When it becomes sleazy in pool is when high level players play low level players and just keep stringing them along to milk them for every dime.

Don

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deception is a big part of a lot of sports and games.

Poker, football, baseball, basketball and on an on.

When it becomes sleazy in pool is when high level players play low level players and just keep stringing them along to milk them for every dime.

Don

I agree with this.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I voted for clever and sleazy, but I also recognize hustling's part in pool, especially from an historical standpoint. It's always been there, in the pool rooms of America, and will doubtless continue to be there.
Were I a fly on the wall and was able to watch some poor innocent bastard being hustled, I would probably root for the hustler. :smile:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted for clever and sleazy, but I also recognize hustling's part in pool, especially from an historical standpoint. It's always been there, in the pool rooms of America, and will doubtless continue to be there.
Were I a fly on the wall and was able to watch some poor innocent bastard being hustled, I would probably root for the hustler. :smile:

Without the mark's greed the hustler couldn't make it work. It's the other person's desire to make easy money that makes the hustling viable.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm not proud of some of the hustles and cons I pulled off now that I can't play anymore, but still say you can only con or hustle someone that thinks they are getting way the best of it and think they can't lose. Johnnyt

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
We're talking about deceiving someone in order to get money from them.
It's a no brainer.

People talk about how the victim is greedy or dumb or equally guilty of hustling.
Who cares?
Conning people doesn't become ok just because the victim is not a perfect human being.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's theft by deception.... generally by the strong over the weak.

It's a daily happening in government.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Without the mark's greed the hustler couldn't make it work. It's the other person's desire to make easy money that makes the hustling viable.

Bingo! I've found that when I tell the hustler I don't play for money, he happily goes on to find somebody else.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Hustling is sleazy. Its about as honest a way to make a buck as running a pyramid scheme and it has killed all the action for people who would like to make a fair game.

People wonder why nobody gambles at pool anymore, its because they are afraid of getting snuck up on by someone that they don't have a chance against while thinking they do have a chance.

If everyone was honest about how they play (or at least doesn't try to conceal it), lower level players wouldn't be so timid about matching up. Better players might have to give up some weight, but in the end they would have more "customers" to recieve money from instead of waiting for that one sucker who will provide them with an easy meal.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Hustling is sleazy. Its about as honest a way to make a buck as running a pyramid scheme and it has killed all the action for people who would like to make a fair game.
People wonder why nobody gambles at pool anymore, its because they are afraid of getting snuck up on by someone that they don't have a chance against while thinking they do have a chance.
If everyone was honest about how they play (or at least doesn't try to conceal it), lower level players wouldn't be so timid about matching up. Better players might have to give up some weight, but in the end they would have more "customers" to recieve money from instead of waiting for that one sucker who will provide them with an easy meal.

Snuck up on? You mean you can't hear them coming? What, are they barefooted whenever they come in to a pool room?
If a hustler was invisible you'd be up excrement tributary without any available means of motivation, wouldn't you. You'd really be snucked upon then. :smile:

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
You dont bang friends or family or people that are in bad shape and cant afford it.
You rob people with cash that it wont make a differnce if they lose it, whats the harm ?
No one can make someone do something they dont want to do, they are engaging you because they feel they have a chance to take your money away from you or they wouldnt do it, so in other words : If you dont want to get hit, stay out of the ring.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

I believe that most women beaters say something very similar: "she wanted me to beat her, she deserved it". But, somehow I don't think anyone here will defend that one. Know something? It's the same as blaming the hustling victim, exactly the same. :(

J