Greyghosts aiming method.......come step into the darkness

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I just opened this can of worms to find out I wasn't the first to do so. I'm not shocked that this has been discussed already. I'm also not shocked that the debate was somewhat contentious.
All I have to add is that I have witnessed it in use in Great Falls, Montana. The player told me he learned it from an old-timer. We were playing a tournement on bar tables, and the lighting was not very consistent, yet the system worked for him on each of the tables. I wasn't open-minded enough to fully grasp it, yet it has stuck with me for many years.
The key thing to remember about various systems is that they should be used as guides. Many pro photographers use autofocus to get close and then switch to manual focus. They trust themselves more than they trust the system.
I have a good friend who has studied many systems for a wide variety of shots. Where it helps most is when the "feel" for the shot deserts him. He can then rely on a system to find a way to make the shot and help ease his nerves. IMO that's exactly how systems should be used.
No one system is the end-all-be-all. Collectively, though, systems can be very useful. But as my friend says to me, "You need to put time in on the table.
"
Karl

You said a mouthful there, and you said it well. Green to you!:grin::grin-square::D

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
I don't understand how this could work, so it must not.
Also, its not perfect or perfectly discribed, so it must be complete bullshaytt.
Since I hold the above to be true, I must tell the world it sucks.
Often.

TB,
ussc

Thunderball

Silver Member
Just kidding about that last post. Was wondering what it felt like to be pj. Didn't like it much though...sort of petty and condescending.

Anyhow, thanks for posting the method. I have never considered the shadows at all. I'm at work now but I will give it shot in the morning and post a review from my perspective. Sounds interesting and very plausible imo. Thanks for posting it up Keeb. Its what the site is about.
Take care bud.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey GreyGhost!

First off I want to say that I happened upon this some time ago while having problems seeing the shots on the table....

Its completely possible that I didn't invent this at all, just stumbled upon old knowledge....I've spoken with a few older players that have been around and one told me he had seen something similar a very very long time ago....

All you have to do is look for where the innermost shadow (darkest one) is exiting the ball....if your cutting to the right then your looking to where the shadow comes out the ball on the left....

thats the contact point on the reverse side of the ball.....being that you aim through the contact on the CB hit on the front of the OB....

this is where its similar to the spot on the wall trick....except its the spot on the ball

once you get to where your getting closer to a 90º cut shot the method does not work if aiming with your stick like I do....you have to parallel and aim the CB edge at the shadow exit point.....that is the only change.

It obviously wont be benieficial to straight in shots either....

on the hole I think its a very good method for beginers and another good tool to have in the bag if you just can't happen to eagle eye in on the shots.....or happen to have an issue with visualizing.....

I hope you guys can understand via the crude drawing.....like I said tho I'll have it on video sometime soon...

Of course the drawings arn't to scale....but if you go on the table and test it you should be able to understand my black magic......

the darkside.......
-Grey Ghost-

Now I can take the Laser and all of the other stuff off of my cue stick. I am not going to know how to shoot with all of the gadgets removed from my house cue!! Thanks GreyGhost. Adjusting my cue stick scope!!!
Regards,
Lock N Load.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
awaiting your feedback

Just kidding about that last post. Was wondering what it felt like to be pj. Didn't like it much though...sort of petty and condescending.

Anyhow, thanks for posting the method. I have never considered the shadows at all. I'm at work now but I will give it shot in the morning and post a review from my perspective. Sounds interesting and very plausible imo. Thanks for posting it up Keeb. Its what the site is about.
Take care bud.

Wondering if you tried it....
Karl

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Take care bud.

Thanks bro, let me know how it works or if you have a few probs or questions I'll try my best to answer......

if anyone ever sees me in person, at any tourney or place to play and would like to have a personal review of it, I'll show ya no problem.

I do need to update this thread b/c i sort of ghetto explained it with my handy dandy drawing...........but hey better to share something than nothing at all.........

and the video of Billy doing commentary on the player doing what looked like tai-chi was awesome........

take care,
-Grey Ghost-

Last edited:

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an old system....

I have had people try to explain this or similar shadow/reflection systems for two decades now, and they can never explain it in a way that shows that they even understand it. I applaud you for finally using a good diagram so that it can be tested.
When people use similar systems without being able to explain the slightest understanding of them except to say that you aim at the reflection here or shadow there, they are lying to themselves. They are able to fool themselves because if you put an object ball in the jaws and touch it on any point with a cueball it will go in. So they tell themselves the system they just learned works. Just put the ball close- if it goes, credit the system; if it does not, blame the shooter.
This system may very well work- I will test it. But I am sure many on here know the guy who is out there trying to explain the secret he does not understand. Finally someone apparently understands enough to make it testable and he deserves credit for putting a good diagram and explanation on here. Thanks brother.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I have had people try to explain this or similar shadow/reflection systems for two decades now, and they can never explain it in a way that shows that they even understand it. I applaud you for finally using a good diagram so that it can be tested.
When people use similar systems without being able to explain the slightest understanding of them except to say that you aim at the reflection here or shadow there, they are lying to themselves. They are able to fool themselves because if you put an object ball in the jaws and touch it on any point with a cueball it will go in. So they tell themselves the system they just learned works. Just put the ball close- if it goes, credit the system; if it does not, blame the shooter.
This system may very well work- I will test it. But I am sure many on here know the guy who is out there trying to explain the secret he does not understand. Finally someone apparently understands enough to make it testable and he deserves credit for putting a good diagram and explanation on here. Thanks brother.

Thanks very much. A well thought out post as I and many of us could not have put that better. Some of us know this system well but it has never been described in detail to the populace. Greenleaf, sailor, jimmy moore and a distinct few, knew the finer points of it and there will be one or two reading this nodding thier heads in agreement of that fact.

This thread has a bit of age on it and since i first stumbled upon the technique I've spoken to those of higher power than the greyone and along with my own trials and thier gifts I've certainly refined it more especially in banking application. Tho of course doing it and being consioncious enough to fully describe the innate intricaticate details of the technique is extremely difficult...........I try.

I've worked with a small number of participants and have had success with it in person as I've mentioned in past posts of this thread. I have actually have had a new student fall out of the sky that just so happens to be a lefty ( like yours truly :) and he has found success in the short period using the technique in pocketing and banking (tho my watchful eye, word and attention is guiding him....but he's moving forward nicely)

I sorely need to update my explanation of this method and I feel as if I've been lazy at that but you know how life goes some things seem to get in the way.

But I am the Greyghost.........you guys and gals look forward and respect the work that I put in along with the others that help me get there to get it to ya.

So like I said hell, highwater, snow, sleet whatever wouldn't keep me from making the Caspers One Pocket event......and I SHOWED...........

I'll Show some MO' (REFINED, REDEFINED more better, savy.....more greyghosty):cool:

THIS WEEK OR I AINT THE GREYGHOST...............

the one wit da most,
Keebie-

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Pretty cool trick Keeb.... It isn't what I would call an aiming system but a way to find a visual reference point to focus on to make the shots.

The key to this is has NOTHING todo with where the shadows are but the fact that they are arcs and the object ball is round.

By picking the contact point on the cueball and the corresponding spot on on the far side of the object ball you can alter your head position so that the shadow exit will disappear at exactly the right point on the table where you can focus and aim at it.

For people that have issues with picking out a point on a round object and can see an intersection point on the table easier this works in lots of instances. I will test the limits and report back but I can actually see putting this in the toolbox when I just can't seem to get the aim to "feel" right. I already use ghostball, spot on the table, tuckers numbers and pivot aiming when I face something that isn't ROTE to me so another tool is always welcome.

I can only imagine the people who have tried this and failed either have set head positions that they do not vary or they went into it not trying to see how it could work and were like my teenager who knows everything already. At least I can hope she grows out of it but I can see it doesn't always turn out that way...........

Peace...

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
First off I want to say that I happened upon this some time ago while having problems seeing the shots on the table....

Its completely possible that I didn't invent this at all, just stumbled upon old knowledge....I've spoken with a few older players that have been around and one told me he had seen something similar a very very long time ago....

All you have to do is look for where the innermost shadow (darkest one) is exiting the ball....if your cutting to the right then your looking to where the shadow comes out the ball on the left....

thats the contact point on the reverse side of the ball.....being that you aim through the contact on the CB hit on the front of the OB....

this is where its similar to the spot on the wall trick....except its the spot on the ball

once you get to where your getting closer to a 90º cut shot the method does not work if aiming with your stick like I do....you have to parallel and aim the CB edge at the shadow exit point.....that is the only change.

It obviously wont be benieficial to straight in shots either....

on the hole I think its a very good method for beginers and another good tool to have in the bag if you just can't happen to eagle eye in on the shots.....or happen to have an issue with visualizing.....

I hope you guys can understand via the crude drawing.....like I said tho I'll have it on video sometime soon...

Of course the drawings arn't to scale....but if you go on the table and test it you should be able to understand my black magic......

the darkside.......
-Grey Ghost-

Grey Ghost,
If it works for you brother thats all that is required. You just keep refining it until you have all the shots you can make with it. I think the important thing here is that youre paying close attention to what youre doing and that in itself produces results. I would take this method to different tables with different lighting to see if you can still see something of it because your shadows may disappear. I was playing in a place 4 yrs ago that had a certain lighting and was seeing something similar that was working for me but when I moved my playing I just didnt see enough of it to rely on it. So I put it in the same bag as the Holy Lights system where you shoot off of the reflections of the balls, which by the way works pretty good for some shots but totally doesnt on a lot of others depending on how you work it. Youre developing your grab bag of methods just like anyone else and if its working for you that is all that counts, just make sure it doesnt leave you hanging when you hit the road.

336Robin :thumbup:
http://274928807619529663.weebly.com/

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Umbra and Penumbra

There are other recorded "shadow" aiming systems out there. I've seen one of them and another was shared to me by a player who plays better than I do.

The darkest shadow is called the numbra and it is the smallest shadow.

The lighter shadow is called the penumbra and it is the larger shadow.

However, an object ball can have one or MORE shadows and they can be of different shapes as well.

One of the benefits of aiming at portions of the shadow is that you can focus your attention on a specific edge of the shadow instead of some general area of the object ball that sometimes is not all that clear.

Personally, I think some top players use aiming methods like this to help them focus. If you can pick a spot out on ONE of the shadows and you know that aiming to that spot will put the cue ball in the spot where it needs to be to make the object ball, you have a winner. With this method of aiming you don't have to as concerned about the shadows moving.

I've used the shadow aiming system by aiming at different parts of both shadows and have had mixed results, some of them extremely pleasant and others, not so pleasant. Having experience at knowing whether a shot will go has a lot to do with your success at using ANY aiming system. So practice, practice, practice.

Thunderball

Silver Member
Wondering if you tried it....
Karl

Actually, I tinkered a bit with it that morning...very inconsistant results would be accurate. But I was whooped after twelve hours night shift and focus and effort were lacking I'm sure.

I was surprised to see this bumped the other day it reminded me to give it an honest go.

At home now, popping a few tops and I'm going to revisit this right now.

Thanks for the reminder bud.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Took some pics this weekend when I was in New Orleans......going to take some more pics this wednesday when i get back on a pool table and plan on posting more info with the pics and diagrams this week.

The holy lights do change too much, the shadows don't vary nearly the same.....at least the parts of them that I'm using dont change visually along the spherical OB.

Remember i said i tried this even with lights 6ft away light on one side coming from 45 deg above and it still worked (so long as i was on the shadow side of course) but if your playing in that poor of a condition then man show me a pic of that table lol.

There's much more on my end left to do to make this workable and understandable from a readers perspective but I'm trying and will continue to do so.

If anyone is ever in my area or sees me and wants me to try to explain it just holler "show me sum'n mista" lol

-Grey Ghost-

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
it works

Although I don't use this, I have witnessed it in action and it worked very well for the player. He was winning ro doing very well in small tournements against some outstanding players and played very consistently.
I think the best benefit of using this or any system is the confidence it instills in the player. Anything that takes the guesswork out of aiming is helpful, IMHO.
Karl

Thunderball

Silver Member
Well alright. I gave this a go.

On a niner with forgiving pockets. My lights are the four shades type I see here quite a bit. Not a box, just four "shades" hanging along a pole lengh wise.

I studied the "ghetto" drawing and discription until I felt like I got the concept and took it to the table.

The first five shots played. All short,but angled. Truthfully I did not consider the pocket...not at all. Just followed the instructions and stroked it. Now I know that sounds all "cte ish" but its true. I suspect the cte logic is much the same in some regards.

But with only considering the shadow, I played balls off. That's the truth.

Now, when I shots were beyond 6 feet, this got much less simple to see and or play using the shadow.
Also, tough cuts did not give up like I had hoped...but I may be missing a few clicks of knowledge that bring both into perspective.

My honest assesment is there is something to this application and I need to explore it more.

One thing I found straight away, which may be a very benificial byproduct of the exploration, is my bridge hand found the proper landing spot when I considered this technique.

Props Keeb. I love trying new stuff and this has some honest merit.
Thanks bro,
Tball