Greyghosts aiming method.......come step into the darkness

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
First off I want to say that I happened upon this some time ago while having problems seeing the shots on the table....

Its completely possible that I didn't invent this at all, just stumbled upon old knowledge....I've spoken with a few older players that have been around and one told me he had seen something similar a very very long time ago....

All you have to do is look for where the innermost shadow (darkest one) is exiting the ball....if your cutting to the right then your looking to where the shadow comes out the ball on the left....

thats the contact point on the reverse side of the ball.....being that you aim through the contact on the CB hit on the front of the OB....

this is where its similar to the spot on the wall trick....except its the spot on the ball

once you get to where your getting closer to a 90º cut shot the method does not work if aiming with your stick like I do....you have to parallel and aim the CB edge at the shadow exit point.....that is the only change.

It obviously wont be benieficial to straight in shots either....

on the hole I think its a very good method for beginers and another good tool to have in the bag if you just can't happen to eagle eye in on the shots.....or happen to have an issue with visualizing.....

I hope you guys can understand via the crude drawing.....like I said tho I'll have it on video sometime soon...

Of course the drawings arn't to scale....but if you go on the table and test it you should be able to understand my black magic......

the darkside.......
-Grey Ghost-

Attachments

• Photo 350.jpg
    Photo 350.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3,932
Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
dam no one jumping to say this can not and will not ever never work? I figured some of you would be on this like stink on sh*t.....

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I will give it a try later on the Big Oak Monster, it looks interesting. Speaking of interesting as far as avatars go.....who's the new guy;):D.

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could work but the lights are different on almost every table. Some have 3, some have 4, some have 2 flourescent bulbs, some don't have any lights and some have so much light there are no shadows.

A slight variation on this would be to just aim down the contact points line. Sight down the line of the contact point on the cueball and the contact point on the object ball. This IMO is the best way to aim. It takes a bit of visualization but is very simple and very accurate way to aim.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I will give it a try later on the Big Oak Monster, it looks interesting. Speaking of interesting as far as avatars go.....who's the new guy;):D.

lol...i figured it was time for a change.....with all due respect to the real "Grey Ghost".....I am the Grey Ghost ;)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It could work but the lights are different on almost every table. Some have 3, some have 4, some have 2 flourescent bulbs, some don't have any lights and some have so much light there are no shadows.

A slight variation on this would be to just aim down the contact points line. Sight down the line of the contact point on the cueball and the contact point on the object ball. This IMO is the best way to aim. It takes a bit of visualization but is very simple and very accurate way to aim.

I already covered the multiple lights issue....you aim with the inner most shadow...its easy to see and can be used on any descent table....

no one said this was an end all be all of aiming methods......

its just simple

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Thanks, we have CTE and a few others in which it came close to all the players killing each other off, now we have Shadow Shooting.
You're going to start another war Keeb.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Ohhh Yessss......

Thanks, we have CTE and a few others in which it came close to all the players killing each other off, now we have Shadow Shooting.
You're going to start another war Keeb.

EXCELLENT

this begins my world domination lol

Attachments

• mr-burns-wallpaper.gif
    mr-burns-wallpaper.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 3,619

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
I could shark you with a flash light. I have my own ghostball system, my eyes are getting so bad I can actually see the ghostball. :thumbup:

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
This is gonna bite me in the bum, but ...

I could shark you with a flash light. I have my own ghostball system, my eyes are getting so bad I can actually see the ghostball. :thumbup:

Don't use a mere flashlight, use a laser pointer and aim it at my ferrule ... maybe it'll crack on my next shot :eek:

D-Rock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also don't understand how the shadows are being created toward the light???????

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Keeb. I think you need to stay off the LSD..... no, seriously..... I think what you are saying has some merit; however, perception in aiming can be translated differently to many.

When I aim, I think of the cue tip in relation to the type of english and also in relation to the exact contact point no bigger than the point of a needle. I know what I said sound confusing, but out of all the years I have been playing, I have come up with my own aiming method that makes sense to me. I think aiming can be explained on a general level, but to break things down further would only be confusing from one person to the next......

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It's nonsense. For one thing, the shadows you show on your drawing can't be produced by lights centered over the table.

pj
chgo

i said it isn't to scale....it was just a general diagram to hopefully get you to understand what i was trying to explain....I have no problem in person but via web its very diff....

i was hoping maybe someone like you would be able to understand the general idea i was trying to convey would be able to go to the table and figure it out and understand what I was explaining....

Sung....that was my goal with aiming like this....but it was goofey to think that I could explain it here by anymeans lol....next time I'm in town I'll show you how it works....its super easy but hard to figure exactly without seeing it....

when I happened upon it i just found it very interesting

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Thanks Keeb. Looks like it has similarities to S.A.M.

I appreciate you taking the time to draw your system out for us.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think somebody on meth came up with this aiming system...All the tweakers i know always talk about shadow people & stuff so somebody must have developed it while playing with the shadow people...lol...j/k with ya my lil buddy :thumbup:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Greyghost it looks like you are trying to show ghost ball overlap? If so there is a system like that....can't remember a name for it. Any system that puts the cue ball where it needs to be works. In your diagram the points of contact are a system called I think....Point to Point...I heard Archer uses that because it's the simplest system and easy to visualize (for him). I usually use the ghost ball but I do sometime visualize a path through the object ball to check myself. If it works, it works.