Is Max Eberle as big as a goof as I now think?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Another fun thing about Max's Facebook stuff is when Mike Howerton fires back at him. Always makes me smile.

And Max plays along nicely. For a conspiracy nut, he's an awfully agreeable sort.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
you guys still aren't getting it...

Well, I just watched Max on a UTube interview....he says the earth is flat....
....he says people are running 'around' trying to prove him wrong. :grin:

He feels we never went to the moon, and the photos of the earth taken from space are fake.

Max thinks that the earth is a round flat disc...

Round doesn't infer spherical or spheroid, or anything of the sort.

He's been given proofs that it is spherical, or an oblate spheroid that he can test himself and still refuses to believe it so I don't know what to say other than he's a good guy, his belief in a flat earth not withstanding.

Jaden

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some people get a kick out of being a contrarian. It makes them feel special and smart. I had a friend like that years ago. He would argue about everything- even basic, inconsequential stuff. Quite annoying.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Yes, to me, that's one of the most obvious problems with the crowd who believe that the moon landings were faked. One of my oldest friends (58 years and counting as of now) has a degree in theoretical astrophysics and was working for NASA in the late 1960s. He was involved with training the astronauts and working with them as they practiced in the simulators at NASA's facility near Houston. The idea that he lied to me about Armstrong's landing and all the others and that he has continued to lie to me with perfect consistency for 46 years despite being one of my closest friends is so preposterous as to not be worth debating.

By the way, I've met Neil Armstrong and got one of the very few autographs he gave after 1994 when he quit signing stuff. I think he signed the membership card I handed him because it had the autograph of Wernher von Braun on it. I had met von Braun in the late 1950s. Those who believe that the earth is flat and covered by some sort of dome will enjoy hearing that on von Braun's gravestone there is the following inscription from Psalms 19:1: "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament (vault or dome) sheweth his handywork."

No one is going to change Max's views on this. A friend of mine who used to work on GPS stuff and did orbital calculations talked to Max a few weeks ago without success.

It is just absolutely mind boggling to me that their are people who think the earth is flat and the whole sphere thing is just a conspiracy theory. It would take so many people and cost so much money to keep this false tale alive that it is unfathomable. The "flat earthers" dont have answers for how you can sail east or west from America to Europe/Asain continent, or why there are different constellations in the northern and southern hemispheres. If the earth is flat they should be able to show you a sensible model of how the sun, moon, and earth revolve and orbit, as far as I know they have not really done that yet. Us "Globers" can make that model with a beach ball, flashlight, and a baseball.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happened to run across one of his " flat earth " discussions on FB. The oceans are held in place by ice walls, in which no one is allowed to go past because of the Antarctica treaty. The sun revolves around the earth, BTW the sun is only 3000 miles away, same size as the moon ( 32 miles diameter ). On and on and on.......... Put the pipe................

BTW I'm all for a good conspiracy theory every now and then, so what's the thoughts on why " they " want us to think the earth is round???

Bmore, there ya go again with another negative sounding post title, like you've done with so many others!..I don't really know Max well enough to know if he is joking or not, about this "flat earth" thing.. But I do know he has a lot to offer the pool community, and is far from a 'goof ball'! Lighten up up your crticism of others, and post a few positive things about people! :eek:

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bmore, there ya go again with another negative sounding post title, like you've done with so many others!..I don't really know Max well enough to know if he is joking or not, about this "flat earth" thing.. But I do know he has a lot to offer the pool community, and is far from a 'goof ball'! Lighten up up your crticism of others, and post a few positive things about people! :eek:

SJD, by no means have I kept track but I do know I throw a little bit of everything out there. I do know I've had plenty of positive posts though. If you think this post is negative you should what all is being said on Facebook.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
No one is going to change Max's views on this. A friend of mine who used to work on GPS stuff and did orbital calculations talked to Max a few weeks ago without success.

You are right that nobody will ever be able to change Max's mind on this or any other of his nutty beliefs. The reason isn't because he just has to hold onto the idea that the earth is round. The reason is because is has to hold onto the belief that groups of the "elite" or those in power or various other groups are conspiring against the "common man" to control him by withholding knowledge and misleading all the "sheeples". If he were to allow himself to see that the earth is round, he would in turn have to admit that the grand conspiracy to withhold information was not occurring and it is this belief that is what is so important. But because he can't let go of the belief in the grand conspiracy to control by withholding information, he is in turn is forced to maintain his belief in a flat earth (and the other silly beliefs).

This isn't really much about the earth at all for him but is really just about his need to maintain his illogical belief that "they" are conspiring against us, "the little powerless guys", to control us by withholding knowledge. So the question is, why is having the belief that groups of people are conspiring to withhold information and control him so important to Max that he just absolutely positively under no circumstance can ever let it go even at the expense of having to maintain belief in a lot of nonsense and expose himself to ridicule etc?

The answer is because it is the coping mechanism Max's brain has adopted to cope with the fact that he isn't in the position in life that he would like to be in. Illogical as the grand conspiracy of oppression belief is, it allows him to cope with his shortcomings by being able to put the blame for where he is in life onto somebody else instead of having to face the fact that he is largely responsible for his own place and failures in life. It is hard for "normal" people to understand but for Max and a very small segment of society believing in utter nonsense in the face of absolutely overwhelming evidence is actually easier than having to accept responsibility for your own place in life. This is the only way they can deal with life, otherwise they wouldn't be able to cope at all and that is why they must maintain the "they are controlling us and keeping us down by withholding information" conspiracy belief at all costs which requires having these other flat earth type beliefs to support what really matters, the belief in the conspiracy.

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
You are right that nobody will ever be able to change Max's mind on this or any other of his nutty beliefs. The reason isn't because he just has to hold onto the idea that the earth is round. The reason is because is has to hold onto the belief that groups of the "elite" or those in power or other groups are conspiring against the "common man" to control him by withholding knowledge and misleading all the "sheeples". If he were to allow himself to see that the earth is round, he would in turn have to admit that the grand conspiracy to withhold information was not occurring. Because he can't let go of the belief in the grand conspiracies, he in turn is forced to maintain his belief in a flat earth (and the other silly beliefs).

This isn't really much about the earth at all for him but is really just about his need to maintain his illogical belief that ("they" are conspiring against us, "the little powerless guys", to control us by withholding knowledge). So the question is, why is having the belief that groups of people are conspiring to withhold information and control him so important to Max that he just absolutely positively under no circumstance can ever let it go?

The answer is because it is the coping mechanism Max's brain has adopted to cope with the fact that he isn't in the position in life that he would like to be in. Illogical as the grand conspiracy of oppression belief is, it allows him to cope with his shortcomings by being able to put the blame for where he is in life onto somebody else instead of having to face the fact that he is largely responsible for his own place and failures in life. It is hard for "normal" people to understand but for Max and a very small segment of society believing in utter nonsense in the face of absolutely overwhelming evidence is actually easier than having to accept responsibility for your own place in life. This is the only way they can deal with life, otherwise they wouldn't be able to cope at all.

Dayyyuuuummm!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
For those that are interested there was a 6 part series done by Stephen Hawking a couple of months ago that covered much of what was discussed in the thread about the size and shape of the earth etc and many other topics that many would find very interesting. The episode called "Genius by Stephen Hawking: Where Are We?" is the one that covers the ships appearing to rise out of the sea (although they use a helicopter), and how Eratosthenes noticed the earth must not be flat, and how he was able to determine that it was actually a sphere, and how he was able to fairly accurately measure the size of the earth, etc.

The nice thing about the episode is that everything is simplified so that anybody can understand it, and ever better, they do experiments and teach you how to do experiments yourself so that you too can prove that the earth is basically a sphere. They also teach you how to calculate and prove for yourself the size of the earth, size of the moon, size of the sun, and the distance between the earth and moon, and the distance between the earth and sun among other things. For anyone that has questions about the topics discussed in this thread regarding the shape and size of the earth etc or that just has a general interest in that subject matter you will probably find that episode interesting and educational and a good watch. It can be seen at any of these links:

http://www.pbs.org/genius-by-stephen-hawking/episodes/episode-6/
http://streamin.to/9gqsvs4rue7i
http://vidbull.com/58ubyovin1su.html
http://vodlocker.com/43jvuomzhb53
http://putlocker.is/watch-genius-by...season-1-episode-2-online-free-putlocker.html

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right that nobody will ever be able to change Max's mind on this or any other of his nutty beliefs. The reason isn't because he just has to hold onto the idea that the earth is round. The reason is because is has to hold onto the belief that groups of the "elite" or those in power or various other groups are conspiring against the "common man" to control him by withholding knowledge and misleading all the "sheeples". If he were to allow himself to see that the earth is round, he would in turn have to admit that the grand conspiracy to withhold information was not occurring and it is this belief that is what is so important. But because he can't let go of the belief in the grand conspiracy to control by withholding information, he is in turn is forced to maintain his belief in a flat earth (and the other silly beliefs).

This isn't really much about the earth at all for him but is really just about his need to maintain his illogical belief that "they" are conspiring against us, "the little powerless guys", to control us by withholding knowledge. So the question is, why is having the belief that groups of people are conspiring to withhold information and control him so important to Max that he just absolutely positively under no circumstance can ever let it go even at the expense of having to maintain belief in a lot of nonsense and expose himself to ridicule etc?

The answer is because it is the coping mechanism Max's brain has adopted to cope with the fact that he isn't in the position in life that he would like to be in. Illogical as the grand conspiracy of oppression belief is, it allows him to cope with his shortcomings by being able to put the blame for where he is in life onto somebody else instead of having to face the fact that he is largely responsible for his own place and failures in life. It is hard for "normal" people to understand but for Max and a very small segment of society believing in utter nonsense in the face of absolutely overwhelming evidence is actually easier than having to accept responsibility for your own place in life. This is the only way they can deal with life, otherwise they wouldn't be able to cope at all and that is why they must maintain the "they are controlling us and keeping us down by withholding information" conspiracy belief at all costs which requires having these other flat earth type beliefs to support what really matters, the belief in the conspiracy.
very insightful. Paranoia is certainly an unhealthy defense mechanism. I also think that maintaining such unusual, largely baseless beliefs makes some people feel special- like they know what very few other people know

Last edited:

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, you can't logically reason someone out of a position that they didn't logically reason themselves into; thus the problems with arguing with people who are emotionally invested in a belief.

The "flat earthers" are flirting around cultish territory.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJD, couple things. While I do admit the title certainly has negative undertones, I am asking a question here and obviously it has been a great subject. Do I think Max is off his rocker? Yes, as do countless others. To be fair though, I do think he is an amazing artist and am in the process of procuring one of his paintings ( hence I truly have no I'll will toward him ). I also think he is awesome at pool. Is that rainbow and sunshine enough lol?

PP9, S Hawking actually seems to be somewhat of a proponent of the " Holographic Theron " I mentioned earlier in this thread. We will have to wait and see I guess. I do think most of what you have posted here has been spot on. Question and you do not have to answer of course, post retirement from your profession have you been seeking a master's in....... well let's just say _____ psychology?

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
It is just absolutely mind boggling to me that their are people who think the earth is flat and the whole sphere thing is just a conspiracy theory.

And yet, I would venture to guess that most people who think flat-earthers are nuts cannot back up their position with facts and logic without "Googling". I think this is a good reason why we need "contrarians" around - to help us think and become more learned people ourselves.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Yep, you can't logically reason someone out of a position that they didn't logically reason themselves into; thus the problems with arguing with people who are emotionally invested in a belief.

A smarter thing has never been said on this forum.

That is why I point out the use of bad logic so often on here. I care as much or more that someone is using good logic than whether or not I like or agree with their viewpoint. Much of everybody's wasted time and money (not to mention happiness) is spent dealing with people that just simply aren't using logic, and if everyone would always just use good logic and nothing but we would all save so much more time, money, and happiness it would be unbelievable. Emotion and bias and laziness are the biggest enemies of logic, and the less you have of these while formulating viewpoints or contemplating solutions, the better your decision making will be--always, with rare if any exception.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
A smarter thing has never been said on this forum.

That is why I point out the use of bad logic so often on here. I care as much or more that someone is using good logic than whether or not I like or agree with their viewpoint. Much of everybody's wasted time and money (not to mention happiness) is spent dealing with people that just simply aren't using logic, and if everyone would always just use good logic and nothing but we would all save so much more time, money, and happiness it would be unbelievable. Emotion and bias and laziness are the biggest enemies of logic, and the less you have of these while formulating viewpoints or contemplating solutions, the better your decision making will be--always, with rare if any exception.

Totally agree. I've always wanted to get a critical thinking course running in high schools, and it should be mandatory. A class like that can be a lot of fun if it's taught properly.

One of my favorite examples of a fallacy,

Nothing is better than happiness
Hamburgers are better than nothing
Therefore, hamburgers are better than happiness

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
PP9, S Hawking actually seems to be somewhat of a proponent of the " Holographic Theron " I mentioned earlier in this thread. We will have to wait and see I guess. I do think most of what you have posted here has been spot on. Question and you do not have to answer of course, post retirement from your profession have you been seeking a master's in....... well let's just say _____ psychology?

One of the other six episodes Stephen Hawking did in that same series covers some things related to the Holographic Principle. I don't happen to agree with Stephen on some of his viewpoints regarding time travel or black holes or even fully on the essence of time itself but he is almost certainly smarter than I and definitely more educated on the topic than I so of course I have an open mind to his theories potentially ending up being correct. You would probably enjoy the episode. It can be seen at these links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JHOzJbj53I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk7PTs0x0k0

If you enjoy this or the other one I posted you might want to look up the other four of the six too. All cover different and interesting topics and are enlightening and made pretty easy to understand.

As for the other I am far from retirement, and far from being a psychologist. I just play armchair psychologist on occasion.