Tom Hay's new line of tips

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
This has been going on 4 years.....

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=281888&highlight=address

Per Federal Trade Laws not labeling or disclosing country of origin is consumer fraud and an unfair business practice... Information can be found here.... https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard#todo

I'd just as soon drop it if Tom starts having his products marked as required.. No one is asking for trade secrets just that the law be followed..

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, you wrote, "Talked To Tom". You now change and say it must have been a Text or PM.

No offence intented, but if you can't remember, maybe it did not go down quite as you say, or think. I will admit to shying away when asked where they are made but again i never told or wrote to you made in USA.

At present I have people calling my new tip Brown. It is not listed as brown, it is a light green but history will show for some reason I claimed Brown and as you can see from a very old post, I never went to directly decieve.

If you want, send any UltraSkins you have on hand back for a refund but I will need your name bought under Paypal to seek out the purchase and yes, right on here. I will scan Paypal and see how many and often you think you were decieved.

How is texting not talking. I never said I spoke with Tom I said I talked to him. I'm sorry if you took that as something it wasn't. Should I have said conversated. I'm sorry. I didn't realize I had to be specific. Ok let me be specific. I conversated with Tom Hay through non verbal means and he lied to me by informing me they where made in the YEAR when in fact they where imputed from another country. This caused me to believe what I informed by Tom and in effect inform others inadvertently of said lie.

There now keep trying to play semantics but I was straight up lied to. You can act like we never talked but I know the truth. And like I said I don't even care they were imported I care I was lied to.

And as I said before, I buy my tips from my distributors, I have only order from you directly once or twice and it took too long to get them. Not that you took a long time, but when I order from my distributor I get them in a day or two. For the difference in price it is worth the little extra.

I don't need a refund, I would like an apology, but like I said I don't plan on not using them anymore I just feel slighted because I was miss informed.

Last edited:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How is texting not talking. I never said I spoke with Tom I said I talked to him. I'm sorry if you took that as something it wasn't. Should I have said conversated. I'm sorry. I didn't realize I had to be specific. Ok let me be specific. I conversated with Tom Hay through non verbal means and he lied to me by informing me they where made in the YEAR when in fact they where imputed from another country. This caused me to believe what I informed by Tom and in effect inform others inadvertently of said lie.

There now keep trying to play semantics but I was straight up lied to. You can act like we never talked but I know the truth. And like I said I don't even care they were imported I care I was lied to.

And as I said before, I buy my tips from my distributors, I have only order from you directly once or twice and it took too long to get them. Not that you took a long time, but when I order from my distributor I get them in a day or two. For the difference in price it is worth the little extra.

I don't need a refund, I would like an apology, but like I said I don't plan on not using them anymore I just feel slighted because I was miss informed.

You don't need to post any more, you did your job, you ran him off. Good job, you and Renfro should be proud.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is so much wrong with this thread. BUT it is AZ after all. The members have driven off just about every pro player alive. The WFS section is in shambles. Now it's time to drive each other off. Good Grief!!!

Evil8 Billiards

EVIL8BILLIARDS.COM
Silver Member
Awesome TIPS.

I just received my tips from Tom and i have to say these are really great tips. Thanks Tom.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 319

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
There is so much wrong with this thread. BUT it is AZ after all. The members have driven off just about every pro player alive. The WFS section is in shambles. Now it's time to drive each other off. Good Grief!!!

What's wrong with this thread is Rentfree, and Cameltoe. I disagree, however, that members have caused the disappearance of pro players.
Granted, we can be abrasive, disagreeable, and a lot of times down right rude. Hell, I've even got pissed at myself from time to time.
The main reason, in my view, why we see so few pro players on AZB is that we have so little in common with them. I know that sounds funny, but hear me out.
A pro would care little for the league players here, although they make up the bulk of our membership. League play is just not a part of their world.
A pro would find the day to day, ups and downs of pool play by us commoners a complete bore. Why would a pro care if I was having trouble making a three railer. They have enough trouble finding their next money match.
Finally, there are no real secrets to impart regarding shot making, and if there were it would be unlikely for a pro to give any of them away.
There are more reasons, I'm sure, but you get the idea. :smile:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
What's wrong with this thread is Rentfree, and Cameltoe. I disagree, however, that members have caused the disappearance of pro players.
Granted, we can be abrasive, disagreeable, and a lot of times down right rude. Hell, I've even got pissed at myself from time to time.
The main reason, in my view, why we see so few pro players on AZB is that we have so little in common with them. I know that sounds funny, but hear me out.
A pro would care little for the league players here, although they make up the bulk of our membership. League play is just not a part of their world.
A pro would find the day to day, ups and downs of pool play by us commoners a complete bore. Why would a pro care if I was having trouble making a three railer. They have enough trouble finding their next money match.
Finally, there are no real secrets to impart regarding shot making, and if there were it would be unlikely for a pro to give any of them away.
There are more reasons, I'm sure, but you get the idea. :smile:

Yep I am what's wrong with the thread... Not someone breaking the law for over 4 years....

What Tom has been doing is illegal... Point of fact... Just because he didn't want to label his country of origin and just because many of you don't care about the law doesn't change the fact it is and has been the law. It is very much black and white and is there for anyone who cares to read about it. Anyone who imports products is required to know the rules and follow them.

In the 4 years I have been going to events I have been told by several installers that they have been told the tips were made in Florida... I am not going to list them here or drag them into it because I told Tom I was dropping it since it is his word vs theirs so it is a push... but Had the labeling rules been followed there would have been zero chance it could have happened.....

As a manufacturer in the billiard industry I see fakes, unmarked imports and even missmarked imports that are all too common... I don't really care if you don't buy any of my products because of the fact I want a level playing field... You should be able to buy any product and have confidence that the law is supposed to protect you and assist you in making choices...

When you buy fake mooris or G2s or Kamuis that you think are real not only are you not getting a genuine product but you may be helping to tear down the original product... When you are buying some imports that are not marked you are helping to support some of those same manufacturers... There are far fewer manufacturers than there are brands.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Yep I am what's wrong with the thread... Not someone breaking the law for over 4 years....

We all get it. You just want the people of the world to follow the law, and what better law to start enforcing than the law stating importers must list country of manufacture.

Join the ATF or USDA if you really want to protect consumers.

You're trying to be a good citizen, you're just making yourself look so terrible while doing it.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I keep reading about this but haven't experienced it. Even with the soft ones, mine mushroom a little once, I trim it, and they never mushroom again. It makes me wonder if I'm burnishing them differently than everyone else. I also get them to shine up reasonably well, something that's not supposed to happen from what I read.

When I install them, my final step is to polish the sides with a little swirl remover and a paper towel. I do this on the lathe. You need to be careful not to get it too hot, but it does a nice job IMHO. Maybe there's something to it? I started doing that a couple of months ago when I discovered that it left an amazing finish on Triangle tips.

I have to have it trimmed down twice before it doesn't mushroom anymore. Once its good then its good to go for the duration. I really like the tips but that is my only gripe. I will try and burnish the sides really well next time to see if it helps to harden up so it doesn't mushroom so easily.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Sometimes its best to take the high road. Let your product speak for itself. I have never tried Ki-Tech tips to give an opinion but it seems the Ultra Skins must be doing better in the sales department. :cool:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to have it trimmed down twice before it doesn't mushroom anymore. Once its good then its good to go for the duration. I really like the tips but that is my only gripe. I will try and burnish the sides really well next time to see if it helps to harden up so it doesn't mushroom so easily.

I wouldn't be too worried about the mushrooming. Personally speaking, all playing tips I've ever installed that didn't mushroom played like crap. Even the KiTechs I got from Renfro eventually did mushroom too. Albeit a way less than a normal tip. If the tip doesn't mushroom it's probably hard enough to be a good break tip.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not just burnishing, but specifically the swirl remover seemed to work some magic. Maybe I'm just fooling myself, and I'll readily admit I don't really know what I'm doing, so there's that... :smile:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Not just burnishing, but specifically the swirl remover seemed to work some magic. Maybe I'm just fooling myself, and I'll readily admit I don't really know what I'm doing, so there's that... :smile:

The swirl remover likely would function as around 3500 grit sandpaper and usually has some carnuba or petroleum products which would help fill and condition the sides of the tip... I doubt you are fooling yourself.....

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Meguiars swirl remover

I use the swirl remover to clean up the ferrules .
I only know of two ways of polishing out the ferrules, one is polishing creams and the other is wet sanding with micro mesh.

If it works who cares if you know what your doing :thumbup:
Just fake it like the rest of the professionals