Up'ing my Game - Advice

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Last edited:

Aero_Dave

Registered
Guys, thanks for All of the Great advice. I know I just joined this forum, but I’m on many other forums and have been for years! It’s really nice when your new, asking for advice and members actually do give you some, instead of just Slamming you around.

I knew some of what was going to be said and that some won’t be as pleasant to read as one would like. But I do know My main issue(s) are/is, I just haven’t put in the proper amount of time in this sport as I should. That is why I’m still sitting at a 4/5 level. So yes, partially I’m or have been Lazy, I don’t really practice and I should. When my kids were younger, it’s hard to put in the time needed and be away from home. I have 3 Awesome children, now adults. Oldest (Son) is a Hard-working father of 2 of my grandkids. Oldest Daughter is a daycare teacher, loves kids and is an Awesome mother of my 3rd grand-child. My youngest Daughter is a SSGT in the USAF, Security Forces going on 7 years Today!

So I guess for me, now is the time I can devote more time to my sport of Billiards. I have always loved this game. I just want to be a better player now. I’m not someone out looking for any cash games; I just love playing for fun. However, I do take it seriously when I play. As I mentioned before, I’m our team Captain and we do win money in our league if you place high enough. We have 2, 22-week sessions each year and between playoffs, banquets and the singles & double tournaments at end session end, it’s a year around league.
We have some really great higher-ranked players in our league I can learn from too. Most will be more than happy to play rounds with me and teach me, or at least tell me what their thinking and why of each shot. But since most of these guys have known me for years, as I have of them and their play, maybe it would be a good idea to look outside of my pool-hall. Maybe someone that doesn’t know me like they do, would actually Tell me how bad I suck at areas of my game that need addressing.

So for now, I plan to get my Joss out of the locker and do some cleaning up / maintenance on it. Talk about Lazy, I haven’t really cleaned my shaft in years! So maybe with some cleaning, a new tip and a new attitude towards my game iys just what I need. Besides PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I think I will start playing some 14.1 to start. I used to play 9-ball and I do like that game as well. We also have a 9-ball league that the guys are always trying to get me to join. In the past I haven’t, just because that’s another night out & away from home. Still not sure if that’s a good idea right now, since it will still be playing the same guys in my league, just a different game. I will PRACTICE playing some 9-ball more though.

Thanks again all,
Dave…

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you have room at home for a moderately sized table? 8 foot?

There are many hundreds, if not thousands of help videos / tutorials and books available.

So much so that we can bury you in advice.

Getting your own table will be cheaper and more convenient in the big picture.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Guys, thanks for All of the Great advice. I know I just joined this forum, but I’m on many other forums and have been for years! It’s really nice when your new, asking for advice and members actually do give you some, instead of just Slamming you around.

I knew some of what was going to be said and that some won’t be as pleasant to read as one would like. But I do know My main issue(s) are/is, I just haven’t put in the proper amount of time in this sport as I should. That is why I’m still sitting at a 4/5 level. So yes, partially I’m or have been Lazy, I don’t really practice and I should. When my kids were younger, it’s hard to put in the time needed and be away from home. I have 3 Awesome children, now adults. Oldest (Son) is a Hard-working father of 2 of my grandkids. Oldest Daughter is a daycare teacher, loves kids and is an Awesome mother of my 3rd grand-child. My youngest Daughter is a SSGT in the USAF, Security Forces going on 7 years Today!

So I guess for me, now is the time I can devote more time to my sport of Billiards. I have always loved this game. I just want to be a better player now. I’m not someone out looking for any cash games; I just love playing for fun. However, I do take it seriously when I play. As I mentioned before, I’m our team Captain and we do win money in our league if you place high enough. We have 2, 22-week sessions each year and between playoffs, banquets and the singles & double tournaments at end session end, it’s a year around league.
We have some really great higher-ranked players in our league I can learn from too. Most will be more than happy to play rounds with me and teach me, or at least tell me what their thinking and why of each shot. But since most of these guys have known me for years, as I have of them and their play, maybe it would be a good idea to look outside of my pool-hall. Maybe someone that doesn’t know me like they do, would actually Tell me how bad I suck at areas of my game that need addressing.

So for now, I plan to get my Joss out of the locker and do some cleaning up / maintenance on it. Talk about Lazy, I haven’t really cleaned my shaft in years! So maybe with some cleaning, a new tip and a new attitude towards my game iys just what I need. Besides PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I think I will start playing some 14.1 to start. I used to play 9-ball and I do like that game as well. We also have a 9-ball league that the guys are always trying to get me to join. In the past I haven’t, just because that’s another night out & away from home. Still not sure if that’s a good idea right now, since it will still be playing the same guys in my league, just a different game. I will PRACTICE playing some 9-ball more though.

Thanks again all,
Dave…
It's hard to say you were lazy really... you just didn't seem to have that desire and it still remains to be seen if the desire stays with you once you really throw yourself into.

For a lot of league players, it's just a fun night out with friends. They remain a lower skill level for a long time much like you have and have no desire to actually have any real success at all with pool outside of winning some league matches here and there... and overall that's ok.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
For a lot of league players, it's just a fun night out with friends. They remain a lower skill level for a long time much like you have and have no desire to actually have any real success at all with pool outside of winning some league matches here and there... and overall that's ok.

Try and field a team with all 5/6/7....

You needs 2/3/4's

Aero_Dave

Registered
Do you have room at home for a moderately sized table? 8 foot?

Getting your own table will be cheaper and more convenient in the big picture.

Mr. Wilson, that’s actually a great idea! Yes, I have Plenty of space for a table. Any size table actually. When we re-modeled our home, I had a large area built over my garage. My original plan was for a Home Theater / Bar / Game room. But that just never really went too far, due to my (Champagne taste & a Beer pocket-book). I stopped planning once the HT room got above the $50k mark!

So I do have a very large space available, just collecting junk right now. It’s been wired with 12 ceiling cans, 2-30 Amp service area (was going to be for the HT equipment), recessed power outlets for the Neon Bar Lights, even piping in the walls & floor to bring water and drain in for the Bar / sink. My wife even told me a couple of years back, “You should clean it up and put a pool table in there”.

Now might just be the right time for that idea. But I’ll have to take these plans slow for now, as my wife will be out for work at the end of March. Her company sold their building and are moving, but her position got moved to another state and we are not moving. So once she secures new employment in the spring (Hopefully), I can start to build a nice billiard room.

Dave…

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
go practice
Watch Tor Lowry (Zero-X billiards) material....realize that you need to practice more and become your own coach
go practice again

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
It needn't be anything more than practical.

You can get a decent table ( maybe here ) for a very fair price, used.
There are so many resources here you can use.

Aero_Dave

Registered
What part of the country do you reside?
Cape Cod Mass. So right now, we are under Snow and getting more. So no table coming my way anytime soon. But yes, I will be checking out the For Sale section here. I know many people are also willing to let tables go cheap, just to get them out of their house because they don't play and need the space.

Dave...

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to a point were I wanted to up my game too. I went in 3 areas because I was tired of being a 5 in my 9-ball league.

1) Invested a cue that I really love
2) Found a local pro take to take lessons from.
3) Invested more time in practice.

3 is a key. Now that I have gotten better fundamentals. I can actually concentrate on the layout of the rack. Instead of wasting RAM and other resources on, whether I am lined up, taking practice strokes, worrying about speed. All that is secondary now. Basically automatic. I just concentrate on problem area and moving the ball to make for a easier transition to the next ball.

You can do it Pal. It just takes extra effort. I had to really commit to getting better. I won MVP and Top Gun for me league. I am feeling so good I joined a Doubles League also.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
It needn't be anything more than practical.

You can get a decent table ( maybe here ) for a very fair price, used.
There are so many resources here you can use.

Agreed, I comb craigslist couple times a week. Patience doing this will result in a great buy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi guys, Dave here. I’m looking for some advice on moving my game up. ...
Find someone competent to check your fundamentals. It's likely, based on your current level of play and how long you've been playing, that there is something very broken with them.