Vintage cues with labels

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I found My first vintage cue about 25 years ago in a trash can waiting to get picked up by a garbage truck. There were about ten cues there total but one was old. This cue had a fat butt and a green and black label that was about 60% intact. It was tough but I could make out the words Brunswick Tru Balance.

There were books that I had in my Billiard collection that I used to date this cue and my fascination with vintage cues had begun. I started searching for cues everywhere when would travel and occasionally bid for them on Ebay also. I even had a few friends find and purchase a few cues and donate them to my collection.

This morning I decided to line them up on my table and take a few pics of these cues. I don't have anything worth much but the whole collection is priceless to me.

Its funny, my memory sucks but I can remember where and when I obtained all of there old cues.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,250

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice collection, do you shoot with any? The fat butts are definitely different from what we use now.
The one with the ivory Hoops ring is especially cool.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That old Brunswick professional would even look better if I would of not posted the pic upside down. I will fix it when I get home.

And yes I love to play with most of these cues. The oak Master Stroke plays very nice.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Hoppe cue the best.

Very nice group. As far as collecting, (guns, coins, cars, cues) collect what YOU like, its YOUR collection.

Ken

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I like the Hoppe cue the best.

Very nice group. As far as collecting, (guns, coins, cars, cues) collect what YOU like, its YOUR collection.

Ken
Thanks.
I also am partial to the Hoppe cues. I have several one piece Titlist cues and quite a few vintage cues that don't have labels here is a picture of the whole group.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,147

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Hello. What is the third one from the right with the ebony spliced shaft in your first post? I have not seen that label before.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hello. What is the third one from the right with the ebony spliced shaft in your first post? I have not seen that label before.

Hello cue fix. You have a keen eye, this cue has been some what a mystery even after my investigations. The label reads Koehler & Hinrichs, a company out of St. Paul MN.

This company sold a little bit of everything and a long tome ago I read on the web that shortly after the turn of the century Brunswick "bought them out". Unfortunately I cannot find this info anymore. I cannot ID the handle wood but everything north of the splice is Maple until the Ebony splice. The wrap is some sort of fishing line that started to un-ravel so someone a loooong time ago used masking tape to repair it. The tape looks nearly as old as the cue, Masking tape was invented in 1925.

Koehler & Hinrichs did produce a poster of some of the things that they manufactured or sold, this print is way cool.

Attachments

• 1176.jpg
    1176.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,060
  • koehler1.jpg
    koehler1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 3549339_2RK0X7229.jpg
    3549339_2RK0X7229.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,070

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the collection.
:thumbup:
I see some without decals. Have they all been positively identified? I am particularly curious about the butterfly cues.

Thanks for posting! :thumbup:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Who said that collection ain't worth much ???
I know it's worth a fair amount to a limited group of like minded collectors, I also know there are many folks on this site who have some serious $$$ into their collections.
Love the collection.
:thumbup:
I see some without decals. Have they all been positively identified? I am particularly curious about the butterfly cues.

Thanks for posting! :thumbup:

Chopdoc I will post better pics of my butterfly collection including one that I am converting into a two piece cue.

Tomorrow :)

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
The first two piece cue I owned was a Willie Hoppe like the one you have next to the one with the white ring. I bought it used when I was 17, about 1962, for $10.00 and played with it about six months and sold it for $8.00.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The first two piece cue I owned was a Willie Hoppe like the one you have next to the one with the white ring. I bought it used when I was 17, about 1962, for $10.00 and played with it about six months and sold it for $8.00.

When I was 16 (1968) I walked into a huge billiard supply store in downtown Denver to buy a cue.
There were dozens of 2pc Willie Hoppe signature cues, and they were about $25.
None of them rolled straight, so I bought a 2pc
Brunswick, straight grain maple, gold colored wrap, and it rolled straight.
Lost it the next day gambling on one game of 9ball.

Jim-nice display.
I finally cleaned up my Rambows a little.
After some light cleaning the shafts still have a nice patina, and the forearms look cool without a bunch of 70 year old schmutz all over.
I also have some new shafts laying around that are a nice matchup, same collars, joint diameter.
Together with new shafts they look like a new Titlist conversion.
Actually they are Titlist conversions if you think about it.

:smile:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Okay here are a few Butterfly cues. Most of these might be difficult to accurately ID but a couple have names. The first four on the left are related They are the same thickness and very close to the same length. Weights are 17,18,19,and 20 and are all stamped at the same place on the butt with the same style stamp. These cues are very fat at 1.450.

The fifth cue has a smaller diameter and has a wedge flat with the weight stamped onto it.

Number six cue from the left is unique because the maker spliced wood on the butt, in other words its not one piece of wood on the handle. You can vaguely see the joint.

The 7 and 8 cue are most likely Katz cues. I believe the 7 cue to have been modified with a brass joint. It was done very well. The 8 cue is original and lazier straight.

The last two cues are of course snooker cues The last cue in this picture is stamped

H.SPIERS & Co. LONDON SE

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 808

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Very cool! :)

I dig the old butterfly cues. The Titlist Brunswicks are so popular, but I like butterflies.

One Katz conversion that I have often admired is this one:

http://www.indyq.com/custom-cues/judd/judd-101/judd-101-enlargement.html

This is one I have that I am planning to have converted:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3918770&postcount=65

You need a Rieper butterfly and an Oliver Briggs. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have never been a fan of the open grain of Zebrawood but your cue looks badass.

I did not forget the ninth cue from the left, it is by far the most bizarre cue I own. I will catch you up on that one ASAP.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

When I was 16 (1968) I walked into a huge billiard supply store in downtown Denver to buy a cue.
There were dozens of 2pc Willie Hoppe signature cues, and they were about $25.
None of them rolled straight, so I bought a 2pc
Brunswick, straight grain maple, gold colored wrap, and it rolled straight.
Lost it the next day gambling on one game of 9ball.

Jim-nice display.
I finally cleaned up my Rambows a little.
After some light cleaning the shafts still have a nice patina, and the forearms look cool without a bunch of 70 year old schmutz all over.
I also have some new shafts laying around that are a nice matchup, same collars, joint diameter.
Together with new shafts they look like a new Titlist conversion.
Actually they are Titlist conversions if you think about it.

:smile:

Here is a better pic of the two Hoppes.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 512

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am still looking for an original Brunswick shipping tube.

I have the cue care pamphlet that came with the cues.

I do have an original Brunswick Deluxe leather case to go with my Hoppe. That was a real find. The crappy ones are common, the Deluxe is another matter.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never been a fan of the open grain of Zebrawood but your cue looks badass.

I did not forget the ninth cue from the left, it is by far the most bizarre cue I own. I will catch you up on that one ASAP.

Thank you.

I am not into zebrawood either, but this cue is another story. Never saw another like it.

I have been holding onto it since 2012...I really need to pull the trigger on it.

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Ku King

I just got 2 Ku King Snooker cues in their original tubes.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1484616429305.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484616429305.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 429
  • FB_IMG_1484616447868.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484616447868.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 486