Which cue would you buy?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
One thing know one has mentioned is that joint diameters are usually .845-.855 on cues with a 3/8 x 10 joint. 5/6 x 14 and 5/16 x 18 cues are .830.

If you have that Meucci changed to 3/8 x 10 your Katana shaft will not match up.

Those numbers are off. Most cuemakers are making their joints anywhere from .835 to .850. Certain makers are thinner joint diameters - Meucci, Rick Howard, Southwest are in the .830-.835 range. Most 5/16-14 pinned SS cues are around .842. Seems like a lot of makers stay in that sweet spot of .840-.845. My Nitti and EDC are both .842 at the joint. One is radial, the other is a SS joint, 5/16-14. Makes putting an aftermarket shaft on either cue a breeze.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest, that really takes the jelly out of my donut this morning. Thanks for pointing that out, though. I do have another Katana shaft that is either 5/6 x 14 or 5/16 x 18, but regardless, I wouldn't be able to use Meucci Pro shaft on my Steve Klapp.

If I don't change the pin, the Meucci is only $331 with a Pro shaft that retails for $260.

Meanwhile, I did stumble on this sweet Mezz that destroys my budget
http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mezz-cues-natural-maple-with-points-zza153.html

Now your cooking with gas !!

It may be $200.00 more than you have budgeted, but you will not be disappointed over time ... Mezz is top-shelf quality.

There is an old adage that says, "better to cry once than to have buyers remorse for ever."

God luck.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
To be honest, that really takes the jelly out of my donut this morning. Thanks for pointing that out, though. I do have another Katana shaft that is either 5/6 x 14 or 5/16 x 18, but regardless, I wouldn't be able to use Meucci Pro shaft on my Steve Klapp.

If I don't change the pin, the Meucci is only $331 with a Pro shaft that retails for $260.

Meanwhile, I did stumble on this sweet Mezz that destroys my budget
http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mezz-cues-natural-maple-with-points-zza153.html

From the pic ... it doesn't LOOK like an SS joint. Maybe it's just me though.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry, I did a huge mistake.
I mixed up Fury and Viking - I was talking about Viking's shaft that is just bad LD-wise; I think it was the "older" Vicore, definately not the Exactshot.

For Joss, they are just too classic for me (which is diplomatic speak for old technology and approaches). I played an old one of upper middle class a while ago, a bit beaten up. Joint was far too loose and squeeked, feeling was very dead and not solid.
Lastly, their homepage really is not nice to get information from.

Cheers,
M

You are judging them on a beat up old cue and their web site?

LOL!

Old technology does not describe Joss. Dan Janes has long been an innovator in cue construction. Seriously.

I have a feeling you have not really looked around their web site. :rolleyes:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You are judging them on a beat up old cue and their web site?

LOL!

Old technology does not describe Joss. Dan Janes has long been an innovator in cue construction. Seriously.

I have a feeling you have not really looked around their web site. :rolleyes:

Yeah, folks did that with the Berreta M9. Folks in the military said they disliked them, they would break down, fall apart, etc.

But the Army has been using them for 30 years, and most folks don't get their "own" gun. Thus, every day you get a new gun. Nobody cleans them, cause it's not "their" gun. They used them as hammers, they drop them, they kick them, they just flat out abuse them, kind of like a rental car.

They are an excellent pistols, if not abused and has regular maintenance. But ask someone in the military that got assigned a clunker, and the will swear they are garbage ;)

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
For Joss, they are just too classic for me (which is diplomatic speak for old technology and approaches). I played an old one of upper middle class a while ago, a bit beaten up. Joint was far too loose and squeeked, feeling was very dead and not solid.

Cheers,
M

Maybe it didn't hit solid due the the joint being loose? Lol

Jon > not a cuemaker

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry, I did a huge mistake.
I mixed up Fury and Viking - I was talking about Viking's shaft that is just bad LD-wise; I think it was the "older" Vicore, definately not the Exactshot.

Cheers,
M

I owned a 90s Joss, not beat up, nothing loose, it hit very very well. Shaft wood was amazing. I had 2-3 offers to buy that cue, and did eventually sell it but only to help with money for a trip for my son to Jr Nationals. They do tend to have a ting on the hit, which some like, and some don't. I had it in the trunk of my car for two years in New England weather, and the thing was as straight as when it was new.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it didn't hit solid due the the joint being loose? Lol

It got tight when screwed to the very end only.
But even 1mm back and it would wobble. It was a metal joint. Metal should not wear out like that at all.

There were inlays and stuff, so I figured it was upper middle class.

And yes - a friendly, navigatable, informative web site is how I also judge a company.
It's just plain unfriendly and inconsiderate to NOT have that.

Cheers,
M

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

But even 1mm back and it would wobble. It was a metal joint. Metal should not wear out like that at all.

And yes - a friendly, navigatable, informative web site is how I also judge a company.

Cheers,

M

Inconsiderate is a bit much but I agree that a website should be user friendly and professional.

Did you sell the Joss cue?

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Get the Joss... good solid manufacture and it looks better than the others.

Lesh

I want a cue that's a little flashier than my usual natural wood players and sneaky petes. I've got a cheap budget ($400) and am specifically looking for a production cue.

My current cue is a Steve Klapp cocobolo plane jane with a katana shaft (12.5mm).
I have become accustomed to a 12-12.5mm shaft, which is a small issue with a few of these options as they only come with 13mm standard.

Here are the finalists...

#1. Meucci Skylar Woodward Barbox 1
Price: $366
- free swap for Pro shaft (12.5)
- swapping pin for 3/8 x 10
http://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-pool-cue-swbb-1.htm

#2. Fury FUCJ03
Price: $418
- 13mm
http://www.budgetcues.com/fury-pool-cue-fucj03.htm

#3. Joss JOS55
Price: $399
-13mm
http://www.budgetcues.com/joss-pool-cue-jos55.htm

#4. Katana KAT07
Price: $431
12.5mm (oh so sweet)
http://www.budgetcues.com/katana-pool-cue-kat07.htm

Thanks for the input!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheers,
M

Very strange. Metal should not wear?

So what is your explanation? Inferior materials?

It sure sounds like you tried a well abused cue.

I thought we were talking about cues, not companies. But, OK. The web site could be a lot better. But that, of course, has literally nothing to do with the quality of their product.

I am in business, and have been in executive level management in IT, so I understand your emphasis on the web site. But did you realize that as of 2014 half of small businesses did not even have a web site?

I like to use this for an example: http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/

Personally, I like the fact that you can pick up the phone and talk to Dan Janes and it will be a great conversation. People met him at the SBE. A couple people contacted me that ordered customs from him there.

The "upper middle class" observation is interesting. The level of a Joss really has nothing to do with the quality or play-ability. They are very consistent and the lowest end cue should play just as the highest cue. This is not as easy to achieve as some might think.

At any rate, except for a few dissenters and a few that suggested other brands or makers not on the OPs list there seems to be a consensus that the best selection from the list the OP was working with is Joss.

In that price range there are many options...and I would strongly consider a used custom. But that was not in the pool of choices.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
One guy said pechauer. I agree. None of these cues are worth their price

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One guy said pechauer. I agree. None of these cues are worth their price

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I recently got my first Pechauer, never had one before not shot one before. never even held one.

I have yet to play it but am very interested to try it out soon.

What I can say as an immediate impression is that I am very impressed with the shaft wood. I made a post about that here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=449671