Important VISUALS info for CTE PRO ONE

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Oh yeah, I figured that. My buddy's​ been doing it for years, but he sort of made his own version of it. That seems to be typical of most systems. Each player tweaks it his or her own way .

I really didn't have to do any tweaking because it came directly from Hal to me. He told me exactly what to do and look out for. The only thing I had to do was change how my eyes and brain worked for the visuals in the setup and make all of it second nature compared to other things I'd been using for a long time.

Most who don't know much or anything about aiming systems or pivots think it takes too much time thinking, visualizing, and setting up. I'd probably blow out over 99% of anyone I played in a speed pool match using this. It comes extremely fast and automatic once trained.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really didn't have to do any tweaking because it came directly from Hal to me. He told me exactly what to do and look out for. The only thing I had to do was change how my eyes and brain worked for the visuals in the setup and make all of it second nature compared to other things I'd been using for a long time.

Most who don't know much or anything about aiming systems or pivots think it takes too much time thinking, visualizing, and setting up. I'd probably blow out over 99% of anyone I played in a speed pool match using this. It comes extremely fast and automatic once trained.

Cool. But now you use cte pro1? I guess I'm curious as to what makes a player look for a different aiming system if the one they are using works. Never having been a system guy, I guess I don't understand that aspect of it. I think it's a great topic for a new thread though.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Cool. But now you use cte pro1? I guess I'm curious as to what makes a player look for a different aiming system if the one they are using works. Never having been a system guy, I guess I don't understand that aspect of it. I think it's a great topic for a new thread though.

What made Tiger Woods go through 4 instructors over the life of his career for "swinging systems" when he was winning from the start and then had success winning with each instructor when he was learning from them? Curiosity? The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? A quest to learn new things? To get even better?

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
There is a big difference in a product demonstrator and coach.

When someone shows you how their systems, that they are selling, works.....they are really demonstrating a product they are selling which has nothing to do with coaching.

A instructor just gives instruction of the steps of a system, not the same thing as coaching.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
There is a big difference in a product demonstrator and coach.

When someone shows you how their systems, that they are selling, works.....they are really demonstrating a product they are selling which has nothing to do with coaching.

A instructor just gives instruction of the steps of a system, not the same thing as coaching.

There's a lot of difference between a product demonstrator and an instructor too. I was curious about TOI and found some vids by it's developer. The vids gave some basic info on how it works and were informative. (Thanks C.J.) But they pale in comparison compared to the number of in depth vids of another vendor. This man covers his system from foot placement to eye position, top to bottom. He also answers email with advice to people who haven't bought his system.

To me the term coach implies an in person connection with immediate feedback by someone examining your technique with a knowledgeable eye. In that regard a video presentation can't be called a coaching session. They can be called excellent instruction by a world class coach however. Don't go over the _ _ _ _ (unscramble for answer D E E G)

Michael S

Registered
When I first learned, I approached the shot by starting core to core, then move slowly until I see both lines. Now, I'm at the point of a slight step to the left or right exactly into the two lines or visual (depending upon which visual and sweep).

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first learned, I approached the shot by starting core to core, then move slowly until I see both lines. Now, I'm at the point of a slight step to the left or right exactly into the two lines or visual (depending upon which visual and sweep).

Michael - if you view the two lines exactly the same for two different shots how do you end up getting different cut angles for that same visual? I'm just wondering how you explain it in your own words.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

By "core to core" I'm assuming you mean center CB to center OB...

First you have to decide the approximate angle of your shot. Is it a 30, 45, 60? If it's a 45 or 60 then you wouldn't be making a "slight step" would you?

Still trying to understand this. I know it works as I've seen it but am having problems applying it. I'd love to be able to afford time (and airfare) to fly down to see Stevie Moore.

Allen

Michael S

Registered
to answer your questions, I did this for all visuals--after I determine which visual. Some visuals are little more difficult than others--such as 45 inside or outside. I try to see what would happen if I were at address at the perceived perception and see if I were to shoot it, depending upon if I missed on either side, I would know which pivot to use. then I would get up and reapply my visual and go from there... And for the first question, remember, this is a perception. if you go to the perceptions contents with several shots across the table all going to the same pocket, they all have the same visual, even though the cut angle changed. I spent some time on the table for this and it took time before it clicked. Good evening!

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael - if you view the two lines exactly the same for two different shots how do you end up getting different cut angles for that same visual? I'm just wondering how you explain it in your own words.

I can try to answer this in my own words.

After getting the visuals I do exactly the same thing to move down to CB, in other words the sweep to the right or left of the center of the CB (CB face that is fixed by the obtained visuals) is exactly the same for every shot.

What changes is the overlap of the CB and OB, I don't know why.

For example, when I have two shots which I know are both 15° perceptions and the same, lets say inside sweep, but different angle, what is different is when I get my CB edge to lets say A, and center CB to OB outside edge, when I then look at how they both overlap - its different, but I align to the exactly same lines.
For thicker shot balls overlap more than for the thinner shot.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, tried to pm you. Clear some messages

Dave, tried to pm you, clear some messages.

What made Tiger Woods go through 4 instructors over the life of his career for "swinging systems" when he was winning from the start and then had success winning with each instructor when he was learning from them? Curiosity? The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? A quest to learn new things? To get even better?

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a very good explanation...
The hard bitten ones who refuse to credit the method for being legitimate will never in a zillion years accept it, however.
I've looked at many many past posts in here from the 'same old crowd'. They seem to have an agenda against the method. :shrug:
I find that the 15 degree perceptions are the ones that give me the most troubles. I have to be very careful with them or I will go "too thick". Don't know why and don't care why...I just exercise a little more caution on them. I'm sure that'll all fall into place soon and become merely routine.
The 30 degree perception is a mortal lock, of course. And I find the 'one-liners' to be just about as easy since I use a very low deflection cue.
Pool has never been so much fun as it is now since I ditched the old fashioned fraction and guessing methods.
Thank you very much. My best to you.:thumbup:

Thanks. Keep in mind my questions (unlike some on this forum) are to aid in learning the system. I know it works so am not one to "refuse to credit the method for being legitimate". I know it is the system and not me. Plus - I can only get to a pool hall once every week or two. Too busy with other things.

Is it even necessary to use CTE on a "one-liner"?

Michael S

Registered
To me, the 15s are the easiest because you can visualize the two lines the best. for the hardest are 45 in/out and 60 in/out. I just need to trust it and shoot. Also, if 15 inside is difficult at a longer distance, try 30 outside. easier to see...

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A total of 92 posts from Michael S, Sacman and Low500 with Mirza adding a whopping 375 posts for a total of 467 among 4 guys.

Of course there is nothing wrong with this, but please don't question the motivation of certain individuals over the years who have been trying to figure out CTE. Let me explain:

CTE, and in particular, CTE Pro1, claims that the player can align their vision to a set of exactly 2 lines that will put the cue ball in a specific place relative to the object ball -- "lock it in" as they often say. For instance, line up cb edge to A and at the same time find that spot where you can also see, or think you see, cb center to ob edge (call it CTE/A). For a manual pivot, set the cue down a half tip to the outside and pivot in to ccb and then shoot directly through that line (or pivot the other way, depending on how full or thin a shot you have). That is pretty much the complete instructions for using the system, leaving sweeps out for simplicity.

So what's the problem? What's the beef? Well the confusion is that when someone like myself, who has been around cues for a long time, tries the system as described, the cue ball locks in to the same point on the object ball no matter what for a given CTE/A cb-ob distance. If the balls are about 2 diamonds apart, and I do a pivot to the inside, the resulting alignment points the tip at about the 3/4 ball hit (half way between center and edge on ob). If I move the balls anywhere on the table at that same 2 diamond gap between them, the tip ALWAYS points at the same point and this will only yield one resulting shot angle. This same alignment will occur on a pool table, a kitchen table, or at the bottom of a swimming pool.

So people like me start doing some research and asking questions and trying things to make it work. What happens is that there is NO answer. Stan calls it a "mystery." I look at videos like Stevie Moore's. He says in his video how he is going to explain how to get two different shot angles from the same perception, or set of lines that lock the cue ball in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mlnRiAXA8

Then the frustration sets in. The explanation is this: In the first shot the ball hits the rail 6 inches away. In the second shot the ball hits the rail (actually the side pocket) 12 inches away. The title of the video is "Parallel Shots Study." Well I was excited to see something with some meat on it. I was immediately disappointed to learn Stevie's insight presented in this CTE "study,":"Logic would say it would take me to this angle (6 inches away). That's not the nature of center to edge. It takes you to right angles so that's why it took me to 12 inches away. You'll be able to see this for yourself when you practice it.

So Stevie's explanation of how it works is that it just works and try it for yourself and you'll see. Well, some of us have tried it many times and "fixed" the cue ball to the exact same spot on the ob when using the exact same visual as Stevie does, so no we won't just "see this for ourselves." What I see is that it doesn't work for me, and many others. No amount of repetition, if I do the steps exactly as described, is going to change anything.

It is in my nature to want to understand why things happen. When I hear people say, "I don't care how, it just works" I am troubled by that thinking. First of all, if something has a component of "mystery" to it, and the process is not completely understood from start to finish, then we really don't know anything about it. It is equally possible that such a system works as a placebo, or that is accidentally fixes stroke flaws in some players, or some people see balls in a way where they really do look different depending on where the balls are resting on the table. We just don't know and the evidence over the last 20 years suggests we may never really know.

Indulge me with another topic for a moment. As a straight pool player, I enjoy working on stroke details to a level that 9 ball players would find monotonous and stupid. However, a very small stroke error can send the cue ball several inches or more away from its intended path after pocketing a ball. The kind of error I'm talking about is too small to see in real time. You need to record it and play back in slow motion. If find there is a tendency on a cut shot to point the cue tip toward the object ball no matter whether I am cutting the ball left or right. The tip always goes toward the object ball. I'm talking about maybe 1/2 tip diameter error at the end of the stroke, not during contact. This is enough to introduce noticeable error.

Why do I mention my stroke practice routine? Well, fixing the error is a bit of a trial and error process. Let me record three shots with my elbow frozen, three more with my forearm at a certain angle, and so on. In each case, I would swear on a stack of bibles that I had finally fixed the problem. Then I look at the video and to my amazement, the problem is still there. The only sure fire way for me to be perfectly straight all the time is to look only at the shaft. Not practical, but at least I've shown that I can do it. I'm sure others have similar experiences where they are 100% sure their cue is straight on line, only to have a friend tell them they are way out of alignment. I would like to suggest, as a possibility, and since we know there is a component of "mystery" in this process called CTE, that maybe something different is happening from what you think is happening. In my opinion, and in Stevie Moore's opinion "if you think logically," it is not possible for you to have different ball overlaps with the exact same perception. It does not matter if we are talking 2D or 3D. If CTE/A points your tip at 3/4 ball from two diamonds away, it will do so everywhere on the table and everywhere else in the universe at two diamonds away.

So if we are not thinking logically and trying to "figure it out" and just shoot, what happens? Well, in my belief, just "letting go" and not worrying about prior thoughts of how to shoot a ball might clear your mind so that your subconscious can pocket the ball through good old practice. If you practice anything with interest and concentration your subconscious will figure it out. How often do people come here and say how you have to work hard at CTE but after a few months (often longer) it "just clicks." The brain is good at that. Like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown every time, my brain keeps assuring me that I finally stroked the cue perfectly straight on my practice cut shots, only to pull the rug out from under me on the video replay. The point is, the mind and perception are far more mysterious than we give credit. I'll probably go to the table and fail at that shot for another couple of months, but then at some point "it'll just click" and it won't be an issue for me any more.

Coming back to you guys who "don't care," I'm fine with that. If you use CTE and it works for you but you don't know or care how it works, then please don't tell us that CTE works. All you know is that you are playing better now than before and that is what is important. If it works for you but not for me, it isn't just because I'm not doing it right. Maybe it only works for you and only for a specific reason. Until the black box "mystery" step in the CTE process is explained, we cannot confirm what is really going on. Well, sometimes we can, but that's a different discussion.

Final word from me, unless anyone wants further civil discussion, there is more to the back and forth about CTE than simply "haters wanting to hate" for no good reason. Hopefully I've provided some of you guys who have not put yourself into the fray personally with some perspective on the issue for a lot of us.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A total of 92 posts from Michael S, Sacman and Low500 with Mirza adding a whopping 375 posts for a total of 467 among 4 guys.

Of course there is nothing wrong with this, but please don't question the motivation of certain individuals over the years who have been trying to figure out CTE. Let me explain:

CTE, and in particular, CTE Pro1, claims that the player can align their vision to a set of exactly 2 lines that will put the cue ball in a specific place relative to the object ball -- "lock it in" as they often say. For instance, line up cb edge to A and at the same time find that spot where you can also see, or think you see, cb center to ob edge (call it CTE/A). For a manual pivot, set the cue down a half tip to the outside and pivot in to ccb and then shoot directly through that line (or pivot the other way, depending on how full or thin a shot you have). That is pretty much the complete instructions for using the system, leaving sweeps out for simplicity.

So what's the problem? What's the beef? Well the confusion is that when someone like myself, who has been around cues for a long time, tries the system as described, the cue ball locks in to the same point on the object ball no matter what for a given CTE/A cb-ob distance. If the balls are about 2 diamonds apart, and I do a pivot to the inside, the resulting alignment points the tip at about the 3/4 ball hit (half way between center and edge on ob). If I move the balls anywhere on the table at that same 2 diamond gap between them, the tip ALWAYS points at the same point and this will only yield one resulting shot angle. This same alignment will occur on a pool table, a kitchen table, or at the bottom of a swimming pool.

So people like me start doing some research and asking questions and trying things to make it work. What happens is that there is NO answer. Stan calls it a "mystery." I look at videos like Stevie Moore's. He says in his video how he is going to explain how to get two different shot angles from the same perception, or set of lines that lock the cue ball in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mlnRiAXA8

Then the frustration sets in. The explanation is this: In the first shot the ball hits the rail 6 inches away. In the second shot the ball hits the rail (actually the side pocket) 12 inches away. The title of the video is "Parallel Shots Study." Well I was excited to see something with some meat on it. I was immediately disappointed to learn Stevie's insight presented in this CTE "study,":"Logic would say it would take me to this angle (6 inches away). That's not the nature of center to edge. It takes you to right angles so that's why it took me to 12 inches away. You'll be able to see this for yourself when you practice it.

So Stevie's explanation of how it works is that it just works and try it for yourself and you'll see. Well, some of us have tried it many times and "fixed" the cue ball to the exact same spot on the ob when using the exact same visual as Stevie does, so no we won't just "see this for ourselves." What I see is that it doesn't work for me, and many others. No amount of repetition, if I do the steps exactly as described, is going to change anything.

It is in my nature to want to understand why things happen. When I hear people say, "I don't care how, it just works" I am troubled by that thinking. First of all, if something has a component of "mystery" to it, and the process is not completely understood from start to finish, then we really don't know anything about it. It is equally possible that such a system works as a placebo, or that is accidentally fixes stroke flaws in some players, or some people see balls in a way where they really do look different depending on where the balls are resting on the table. We just don't know and the evidence over the last 20 years suggests we may never really know.

Indulge me with another topic for a moment. As a straight pool player, I enjoy working on stroke details to a level that 9 ball players would find monotonous and stupid. However, a very small stroke error can send the cue ball several inches or more away from its intended path after pocketing a ball. The kind of error I'm talking about is too small to see in real time. You need to record it and play back in slow motion. If find there is a tendency on a cut shot to point the cue tip toward the object ball no matter whether I am cutting the ball left or right. The tip always goes toward the object ball. I'm talking about maybe 1/2 tip diameter error at the end of the stroke, not during contact. This is enough to introduce noticeable error.

Why do I mention my stroke practice routine? Well, fixing the error is a bit of a trial and error process. Let me record three shots with my elbow frozen, three more with my forearm at a certain angle, and so on. In each case, I would swear on a stack of bibles that I had finally fixed the problem. Then I look at the video and to my amazement, the problem is still there. The only sure fire way for me to be perfectly straight all the time is to look only at the shaft. Not practical, but at least I've shown that I can do it. I'm sure others have similar experiences where they are 100% sure their cue is straight on line, only to have a friend tell them they are way out of alignment. I would like to suggest, as a possibility, and since we know there is a component of "mystery" in this process called CTE, that maybe something different is happening from what you think is happening. In my opinion, and in Stevie Moore's opinion "if you think logically," it is not possible for you to have different ball overlaps with the exact same perception. It does not matter if we are talking 2D or 3D. If CTE/A points your tip at 3/4 ball from two diamonds away, it will do so everywhere on the table and everywhere else in the universe at two diamonds away.

So if we are not thinking logically and trying to "figure it out" and just shoot, what happens? Well, in my belief, just "letting go" and not worrying about prior thoughts of how to shoot a ball might clear your mind so that your subconscious can pocket the ball through good old practice. If you practice anything with interest and concentration your subconscious will figure it out. How often do people come here and say how you have to work hard at CTE but after a few months (often longer) it "just clicks." The brain is good at that. Like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown every time, my brain keeps assuring me that I finally stroked the cue perfectly straight on my practice cut shots, only to pull the rug out from under me on the video replay. The point is, the mind and perception are far more mysterious than we give credit. I'll probably go to the table and fail at that shot for another couple of months, but then at some point "it'll just click" and it won't be an issue for me any more.

Coming back to you guys who "don't care," I'm fine with that. If you use CTE and it works for you but you don't know or care how it works, then please don't tell us that CTE works. All you know is that you are playing better now than before and that is what is important. If it works for you but not for me, it isn't just because I'm not doing it right. Maybe it only works for you and only for a specific reason. Until the black box "mystery" step in the CTE process is explained, we cannot confirm what is really going on. Well, sometimes we can, but that's a different discussion.

Final word from me, unless anyone wants further civil discussion, there is more to the back and forth about CTE than simply "haters wanting to hate" for no good reason. Hopefully I've provided some of you guys who have not put yourself into the fray personally with some perspective on the issue for a lot of us.

So someone, you, who has never properly learned CTE has it all figured out and is 100 percent right about it. And the rest of us, some using it for more than 10 years including pro players and amateur champions, got it all wrong and have no clue. Sounds about right.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

And literally THOUSANDS of posts for Lou over a 20 year period and over a thousand from YOU specifically on CTE in the last 6 years which are ALL derisive

So what are you trying to say? Is this ever going to STOP by you two?

Final word from me,

Really? You've already said the "Final Word From You" over 100 times ad nauseam in the last couple of years alone.

I'll lay 100 to 1 odds to anyone who wants to bet this isn't the FINAL WORD for Dan White! Any takers?

unless anyone wants further civil discussion, there is more to the back and forth about CTE than simply "haters wanting to hate" for no good reason.

Can you get it through your skull that nobody other than your negative cronies wants to have any kind of discussion with you about CTE? And yes, "haters want to hate" for all the reasons that "haters want to hate". They just can't stop themselves.

Hopefully I've provided some of you guys who have not put yourself into the fray personally with some perspective on the issue for a lot of us.

There aren't a LOT of you and never has been. Only a very small warring few over two decades and there shouldn't be any. The reason there shouldn't be any is because those of you who create this havoc have ALL openly stated that you don't use ANY kind of aiming system and play by "FEEL".

Well, good for you! And if you've converted to Brian's fractional method or something else for certain shots, good for you again.

Those of us who DO use CTE are sick and tired of your S*IT on a daily basis about the same garbage you keep bringing up every single time even after it's been explained to you. STAY OUT OF IT ALREADY AND BE A MAN OF YOUR WORD THAT IT'S YOUR FINAL WORD!

It's not your cup of tea. So be it! We who use it just want to stay as HACK LOWER LEVEL PLAYERS WHO CAN'T MAKE 3 BALLS IN A ROW. I LOVE MISSING BALLS ALL THE TIME. PLEASE DON'T SAVE ME.

Maybe I need to start obsessing about my STROKE like you do with videos of yourself and get "PARALYSIS THROUGH ANALYSIS". Yeh, that'll work real good.
Anybody who even so much as allows a single thought about a nuance, idiosyncrasy, position to creep into their mind while down on the shot or stroking it, IS DEAD MEAT! THAT SHOT HAS A HIGH PERCENTAGE CHANCE OF BEING MISSED! And you keep preaching it. If I EVER wanted to emulate another pool player, it certainly would NOT be YOU!

Yet, here you are as a nobody in the world of pool telling everyone what they should or shouldn't do as well as what's right or wrong.

Get a damn life already!

Last edited: