Hmmmm! Someone go teach Florian "Venom" Koehler how to shoot with T.O.I.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Venom is very good as what he does. That is, try over and over to do something very difficult on equipment that favors what he's trying to do. I'd imagine he would. Last very long in a tournament full of B players because that's just not something he does (that I'm aware of). Pocketing balls and getting shape over and over is a different kind of skill.

I'm sure if he attempted to become a regular pool player, he'd have a great stroke and become rather good quickly. And you wouldn't wanna get into a safety battle with him.

Absolutely at the skills he specializes in he's great. Something has to give. Ask Shaq how his free throw shooting was.

I just finished watching a few of the guy's videos on YOU TUBE. I must have matured since the last time I watched those same videos. This time I concentrated on watching the shots and not the models. This, in turn, led me to a new appreciation of his ASTOUNDING skill!

I recall reading that he's nothing special shooting conventional CB into OB into pocket shots. If so, WHAT'S THE STORY FOR GOD'S SAKE! Alll I can figure is that he can't shoot a center ball shot very well. If that's the case, SOMEONE TEACH HIM T.O.I....PRONTO!

With that absolutely exquisite control of spin he possesses and applies to masse' shots, I see no reason why that same exquisite control would not transfer to his shots when shooting a millimeter or 2 off verticle center, which is what advanced T.O.I is all about. Once he masters that, the ability to shoot a perfectly straight center ball shot when a straight in shot presents itself, will automatically follow...Then WATCH OUT WORLD!.....imho!

So, he is not much of a regular pool player (only a great trick shot artist)? At what skill level does he play at? Has he played in any of the tours in the past? Why do you think that he has issues with his regular pool game? Have you seen him play before?

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't have a clue as to ,the answer to this question...so I'll ask others what they think: If today's world class nine - ball players were to stop playing nine - ball and turn their attention exclusively to the kind of stuff Florian does, would they attain the same level of skill he possesses.

I've always wondered the same thing about The Harlem Globetrotter players. Few of them have or had the skill to play in the NBA. Do most NBA players have the skill to do what the Globetrotters do though?

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I really don't have a clue as to ,the answer to this question...so I'll ask others what they think: If today's world class nine - ball players were to stop playing nine - ball and turn their attention exclusively to the kind of stuff Florian does, would they attain the same level of skill he possesses.

I've always wondered the same thing about The Harlem Globetrotter players. Few of them have or had the skill to play in the NBA. Do most NBA players have the skill to do what the Globetrotters do though?

Earl could do anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8pDccgPKxo

A bench warmer makes more than the ENTIRE HG squad. They "do fun". Highly skilled? Not so much.

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl could do anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8pDccgPKxo

A bench warmer makes more than the ENTIRE HG squad. They "do fun". Highly skilled? Not so much.
The wing shots were nice. It's no way a display of skill on a par with what Florian does though. The shot after the wing shots was a trick shot....not an unimpressive trick shot; but, a trick shot and not a skill shot. In an earlier post you stated that you know trick shot players who don't shoot conventionally very well. There's a bit of trickery in some of Florian shots; but at their core they're skill shots, not trick shots....and WOW....is there ever skill involved!

The Harlem Globetrotters....not too much skill......HUH? Haven't you ever seen one of them make a hook shot from near the scorer's table on the first try? Granted....he practices that hook shot every day; but, you're saying it doesn't take too much skill?.....Gee!

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I've run a few 5's and over 100 at 14.1 and would consider myself an average player who wouldn't fare to well in a real Pro Event. Seeing as he has hundreds of youtrube videos can you show me any proof of that kind of speed?

I would assert that if he was a player of aforementioned abilities he would do himself well to win or place high in some pro events to further bolster his reputation. That would be indisputable and marketable and he seems to be a marketing machine. Therefore with no disrespect I think his actual playing skills are below what you state.

As a side note I have played a couple of well known Trick Shot Artists and they could do some cute stuff but in the end had average ball potting abilities and unfortunately when you are really playing you don't get to hand place the balls and two tries at everything. :shrug:

For me the proof is when he says he made those runs. I know Florian long time back when he wasnt famous and he is really a honest and down to earth guy. If he says he ran 5racks in 9b, 73 in 14-1 and 10 ball run in 3cushion (his own words cca 2 mins back) i believe it 100%. :smile:

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
For me the proof is when he says he made those runs. I know Florian long time back when he wasnt famous and he is really a honest and down to earth guy. If he says he ran 5racks in 9b, 73 in 14-1 and 10 ball run in 3cushion (his own words cca 2 mins back) i believe it 100%. :smile:

Seems like a nice guy and and I didn't doubt his claim. I once saw a horrible C+ who had NEVER run 2 racks of anything make a 44 ball run playing his first game of 14.1. Declared the game to be easy. I told him I would give him $50 if he could run 15 (this would force a break shot) in the next hour. Never even came close again.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like a nice guy and and I didn't doubt his claim. I once saw a horrible C+ who had NEVER run 2 racks of anything make a 44 ball run playing his first game of 14.1. Declared the game to be easy. I told him I would give him $50 if he could run 15 (this would force a break shot) in the next hour. Never even came close again.

Well it seems we are only arguing about semantics. ;) Like I said - Florian is no way a pro apart from artistic pool but he is not an average player neither, average "Joe the Banger" doesnt have high run of 5 racks of 9b or 10caroms in 3-cushion averaging 0.6 :D Average regional tournament player (if he actually had time for that..) would be more precise, thats also what you probably meant :smile:

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I posted earlier, I read somewhere that he wasn't much of a conventional shot - maker. I found this diificult to understand. Now some posters are stating that he is, in fact, a very fine shot - maker. Having watched his videos some more, it simply defies common sense to think otherwise.

His cue ball control is phenomenal! ...not only on masse' shots. Every now and then he shoots with a conventionally level cue and puts some amazing draw and sidespin on the CB. He can kick also!

If he's only a very fine; but, less than pro - level shot - maker. It's probably because he devotes most of his practice time to his "Shtick shots." Really....why should he stop doing what he's doing now. Should what he's doing now deserve less merit in the billiard world than competitive nine - ball play? I think not!......

I'm still dieing to know if when he shoots conventionally, he uses T.O.I. With that control of spin he possesses......!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take number 105 and 74 on his super loose trick shot table. You were impressed with this?

Stop trolling.

No one is saying he's going to win a major event. But he could probably show up at your local open tournament and do very well.

Knowledge and stroke he's an A player for sure. Running out ain't hard.

You are not that good at judging talent.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still dieing to know if when he shoots conventionally, he uses T.O.I. With that control of spin he possesses......!

Florian uses HOMB system, he is practice freak. He practices to no end until the blisters on his hands literally start to bleed (no kidding, sometimes the pics of his hands are quite scary). And with the amount of talent he has even sky is no limit for him in artistic pool. ;)

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Stop trolling.

No one is saying he's going to win a major event. But he could probably show up at your local open tournament and do very well.

Stop being so sensitive. Nobody is trolling. I simply don't equate the same skillset to his profession. Most professional tennis players are super strong table tennis players...but not Olympic caliber. Same yet different.

Not good at assessing talent? OK simple question: What would a major tournament victory do for his trick shot career (especially with the APA crowd that he markets to)?

Therefore the fact that he doesn't play in any of these events speaks volumes.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Florian uses HOMB system, he is practice freak. He practices to no end until the blisters on his hands literally start to bleed (no kidding, sometimes the pics of his hands are quite scary). And with the amount of talent he has even sky is no limit for him in artistic pool. ;)

You would have to be the most patient guy in the world. I like watching the trick shots, but man, I hate to practice them. You gotta shoot them hundreds of times... which is not even the worse part, setting them all back up is the crapping part. I do not have the patience of Job.

Heck, I use to pay my son when he was little to keep spotting balls when shooting some drills so I wouldn't have to ;)

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldnt call someone who can run 5 racks in a row in 9b and 80+ in 14-1 "a very average level" :D:D:D He is no pro at "normal" pool but I would definitely call him an accomplished pool player :wink: Also Florian said recently that he was starting to learn 3-cushion and with the speed he learns things I dont think we will wait too long before he becomes 1.0avg player in 3cushion.

Would you like to back Florian in a 9-ball match against Joey Dupuis?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Stop trolling.

From what I've seen, he seem like a 550ish fargo player. So, not close to an A player around here. I'd bet against him cashing in the SBE Amateur open tournament. The two videos you posted are cool but I'd need to see more to say he's anywhere near A speed. I'm sure if he applied himself he could be a very good pool player, I just don't think he really plays pool. Which is fine, trick shots are his thing and he does very well with them. It's not something I like but to each their own. I'd be very impressed if I were wrong and he really could play.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I've seen, he seem like a 550ish fargo player. So, not close to an A player around here. I'd bet against him cashing in the SBE Amateur open tournament. The two videos you posted are cool but I'd need to see more to say he's anywhere near A speed. I'm sure if he applied himself he could be a very good pool player, I just don't think he really plays pool. Which is fine, trick shots are his thing and he does very well with them. It's not something I like but to each their own. I'd be very impressed if I were wrong and he really could play.

Even if he's not an A player, how hard would it be for him to get there.

Not hard at all.

As for why he doesn't enter in bigger tournaments. Why would he? Dude makes more than most pool players, gets plenty of exposure, and all with none of the headache.

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop being so sensitive. Nobody is trolling. I simply don't equate the same skillset to his profession. Most professional tennis players are super strong table tennis players...but not Olympic caliber. Same yet different.

Not good at assessing talent? OK simple question: What would a major tournament victory do for his trick shot career (especially with the APA crowd that he markets to)?

Therefore the fact that he doesn't play in any of these events speaks volumes.
So you don't think Florian and nine - ball players are using the same skill - set? ......I couldn't disagree more....at least as a practitioner of T.O.I. My recognition of the similarity of the skill sets required of both, was the impetus for my opening post.

Both Florian type shots and T.O.I. require an exquisite control of spin for success to occur. Masse' shots require as enormous an amount of spin as a player is capable of delivering. T.O.I. shots require as slight an amount of spin as a player is capable of delivering.

The thing is, although Florian shoots masse' shots most of the time, every now and then he comes down with the butt of the cue near the table in a conventional style. He, however, still maintains that exquisite control over cue ball spin. He hits some fabulous side spin shots and draw shots with his cue down.

All this being the case, I was just wondering what kind of conventional shot - maker he would have turned out to be if he had never gotten into skill - shot shooting and concentrated on mastering T.O.I instead....not that I think conventional pool is a better or worse test of cueing skill or higher or lower in terms of status or merit in the pool world....I'm just wondering

Last edited: