I wonder what age players like Skyler, and Bergman were when they hit a solid A level

This question is for those who watched some of these players (any high level Pro who you can think of), from when they 1st started playing, and personally seen their progression in skill level.

I have been told that most of the known pro players started playing at a very young age.

Just curious to hear your opinions about what age some of these players (any pro level player that was from your local pool hall for example, and you watched progress in skill level through the years, from when they 1st started playing, and seen when you think they hit a solid A level, in your opinion).

I understand that the term "A level" is based on opinion, but I will let you determine that, and maybe why you think that player was at a pretty consistent "A level".

I remember hearing that Johnny Archer was only around 17 years old when he joined the pro tour (I always thought that was pretty amazing), and I imagine that he played at a very high skill level at that time. He was always my favorite player, for a very long time (as a kid, growing up in the 90's). I really idolized him.

Anyways, thanks for posting your thoughts about any pro level players (known or unknown is fine) from the past or present, who you watched progress from their beginning days of playing, and at around what age you think they achieved that solid "A level" in skill level, in your opinion (and maybe why you think they were on that solid "A level).

I was actually really curious about when Skyler Woodward hit a solid "A level" (in your opinion). I played him once in a tournament in Paducah (or was it Metropolis, IL?), at a pool hall called Shooters (I think), which I think has since went out of business, and he was with his dad, and was only around maybe 11 years old (I am guessing), and he really played pretty lights out (he ran out a lot, lol), and he beat me pretty bad, lol.

I just wonder around what age he become a pretty solid "A level player".

A few other players who I always remembered (from the St. Louis area) were Pat Mcmillan and Andy Quinn (who I think started playing at a young age and became very strong players). Maybe they were never quite pro level, but maybe pretty close to it.

Anyways, just bored, and felt like posting some thoughts that I had.

Thanks for reading, and thoughts for hopefully any interesting replies.

Love reading stories about players, and how they progressed through the years.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived in Paducah and Skyler was always at the pool hall playing. As mentioned above, his dad is/was a very good player, a SL7 in APA.

To me, nothing about Skyler is about money, he just loves to play pool, period.

There were some great players in Paducah area, including Buddy Hall and other great players.....I NEVER SEEN ANY OF THEM HELP SKYLER. His dad was his coach and I played and gambled with Skyler often.

Finally he couldnt give me a big enough spot.

He was about 17-18 and was a shortstop level IMO.

He is a great kid, and I love him like a son.

Ken

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This question is for those who watched some of these players (any high level Pro who you can think of), from when they 1st started playing, and personally seen their progression in skill level.

I have been told that most of the known pro players started playing at a very young age.

Just curious to hear your opinions about what age some of these players (any pro level player that was from your local pool hall for example, and you watched progress in skill level through the years, from when they 1st started playing, and seen when you think they hit a solid A level, in your opinion).

I understand that the term "A level" is based on opinion, but I will let you determine that, and maybe why you think that player was at a pretty consistent "A level".

I remember hearing that Johnny Archer was only around 17 years old when he joined the pro tour (I always thought that was pretty amazing), and I imagine that he played at a very high skill level at that time. He was always my favorite player, for a very long time (as a kid, growing up in the 90's). I really idolized him.

Anyways, thanks for posting your thoughts about any pro level players (known or unknown is fine) from the past or present, who you watched progress from their beginning days of playing, and at around what age you think they achieved that solid "A level" in skill level, in your opinion (and maybe why you think they were on that solid "A level).

I was actually really curious about when Skyler Woodward hit a solid "A level" (in your opinion). I played him once in a tournament in Paducah (or was it Metropolis, IL?), at a pool hall called Shooters (I think), which I think has since went out of business, and he was with his dad, and was only around maybe 11 years old (I am guessing), and he really played pretty lights out (he ran out a lot, lol), and he beat me pretty bad, lol.

A few other players who I always remembered (from the St. Louis area) were Pat Mcmillan and Andy Quinn (who I think started playing at a young age and became very strong players). Maybe they were never quite pro level, but maybe pretty close to it.

I lived in Springfield Missouri and Kim Davenport came into town to do an challenge match with Danny Harriman. Kim was incredible representative and asked if anyone wanted to challenge him. Andy Quinn was probably 8-10 years old and said he would play Kim.

Andy broke and ran out the first rack. Of course us locals loved it and Kim was a great sport.

We loved our locals Danny Harriman and Andy Quinn, and Kim proved to be a real class act, and we all became fans of Kim Davenport.

Why cant all pros act like Kim?

Awesome.

Ken

I lived in Springfield Missouri and Kim Davenport came into town to do an challenge match with Danny Harriman. Kim was incredible representative and asked if anyone wanted to challenge him. Andy Quinn was probably 8-10 years old and said he would play Kim.

Andy broke and ran out the first rack. Of course us locals loved it and Kim was a great sport.

We loved our locals Danny Harriman and Andy Quinn, and Kim proved to be a real class act, and we all became fans of Kim Davenport.

Why cant all pros act like Kim?

Awesome.

Ken

Very cool story. Andy was such an awesome player. Not sure if he plays as good now as he did around 20 years ago (when I got to see him play at a big yearly tournament that Ride The Rail Billiards in St Louis MO held), but he was great, and he seemed really cool. I think he was a Junior National champion (maybe multiple times). He was actually not playing in that tournament (but in a big 10 ball ring game), because they did not allow any AA players to enter (or any players who had won it in the past).

I got to see Danny Harriman play once too (can't remember the year, but it was at least 15 years ago, I think), at the Billiard Center in Cape Girardeau, MO. It was pretty cool, because he played this guy some where they would switch from right handed to left handed every shot (and keep switching between shots), and he was still running out playing like that, lol.

I lived in Paducah and Skyler was always at the pool hall playing. As mentioned above, his dad is/was a very good player, a SL7 in APA.

To me, nothing about Skyler is about money, he just loves to play pool, period.

There were some great players in Paducah area, including Buddy Hall and other great players.....I NEVER SEEN ANY OF THEM HELP SKYLER. His dad was his coach and I played and gambled with Skyler often.

Finally he couldnt give me a big enough spot.

He was about 17-18 and was a shortstop level IMO.

He is a great kid, and I love him like a son.

Ken

Yeah, I would see him and his dad at that weekly tournament at Shooters every time I went to it. His dad seemed to be pretty serious about the game (seemed to take it really seriously).

Pretty impressive how Skyler starting snapping off all of those Midwest 9 ball tournaments at such a young age.

This was Justin Bergman vs Sky Woodward over 5 yrs ago. We've all come such a long way. Makes me wonder what the next 5 yrs will hold. I apologize in advance about some of the commentary. It includes The Foutch. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDN84olI6Y

I remember watching that match on youtube (not long after you uploaded it). I remember it was from the Big Muddy free roll event (I think) that the Billiard Center (in Cape Girardeau, MO) started holding once a year. I might be mistaken.

I am really impressed with how much stronger Skyler has gotten since then.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I watched Sky win the super billiards Expo juniors (if I remember right). He was pretty damn small lol. He probably played high C low B speed then. He musta been about 12, maybe younger. Now the last few years I've seen him improve as well. So I would extrapolate that at about 15 or so he was an A. I wonder what he would say.

KMRUNOUT

Edit: actually I might be thinking of Justin Bergman. I forget lol...why did I even post?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Sky win the super billiards Expo juniors (if I remember right). He was pretty damn small lol. He probably played high C low B speed then. He musta been about 12, maybe younger. Now the last few years I've seen him improve as well. So I would extrapolate that at about 15 or so he was an A. I wonder what he would say.

KMRUNOUT

Edit: actually I might be thinking of Justin Bergman. I forget lol...why did I even post?

KMRUNOUT

So he was a Champion player from a very young age. Takes a lot of heart and confidence to be a Champion. He has had everything needed to become one. A lot of determination, and skill.

I wish he posted on here sometimes, but I understand that he has better things to do with his time.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I saw Bergman and Morra play in the finals of the BCA Jr. Nationals in 2005. Bergman was 18 and Morra was 16, and they both played pretty strong already by then.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About every player who becomes a legit pro, reaches "A" level within 2 to 3 years of picking up a cue. "A" in my definition is beating the 9 ball ghost on a standard GC 9' table more often than losing to it.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

Bergy won it in 03', Sky won it in 2010

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergman has played at a very high level since he was very young.

His mom told me a story about getting called by the school principal when Justin was in 7th grade.

He got caught at school carrying $3.000 cash and they thought he had stolen it or was a drug dealer lol

She said she got a good laugh about it and told them the money was legit and that he had won it playing pool last night at the pool hall :smile:

Justin Bergman and Justin Hall were great childhood friends and both were killers at a very early age Justin's mom used to drop them off at the pool hall and after they had robbed everybody in the place and had pockets full of money she would go back and pick them up.

Check J Hall and Iceberg in this picture on the bottom row side by side

JR NATIONALS.jpg

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he was a Champion player from a very young age. Takes a lot of heart and confidence to be a Champion. He has had everything needed to become one. A lot of determination, and skill.

I wish he posted on here sometimes, but I understand that he has better things to do with his time.

Unless i am mistaken Thorpe was drilling road players at SBE about 6 yrs ago. Puts him at around 15 yrs old

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
This youngster is slaying his jr competition and placing very high in world cups at the age of 18

Myung woo cho

21751587_1915456785374379_3432926501738192148_n.jpg

(3c)

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedor Gorst from Russia, at 16 beat both Jayson Shaw at 1 pocket and Appleton in 10 ball in a single event. I think he actually won that tournament. Going by that, he was an A player at 14. The top players that you see cashing at major tournaments all the time were probably A players at 16 or younger. The good local players may have hit A at 18-20.

I saw Bergman and Morra play in the finals of the BCA Jr. Nationals in 2005. Bergman was 18 and Morra was 16, and they both played pretty strong already by then.

I would love to see that match. I wish there was a video of it somewhere. I would pay for it. I bet it was a great match.

I saw Bergman play in a big tournament in Cape Girardeau, MO (in the early 2000's I think). He looked very young (maybe 12 or 13, but not sure), and he played awesome (very smart defensive player too). He was playing this AAA player (from what a guy there, who knew him, told me), and he lost, but he gave that player a very good match. The guy really respected Bergman's game, and he said "See you in the finals" to Bergman, when he shook his hand (after the match).

About every player who becomes a legit pro, reaches "A" level within 2 to 3 years of picking up a cue. "A" in my definition is beating the 9 ball ghost on a standard GC 9' table more often than losing to it.

Yeah, beating the ghost on a 9 foot GC is super strong, and being able to do it consistently on almost any day of the week is super strong.

I remember Andy Quinn used to come into the Billiard Center in Cape Girardeau, MO some times, and try to get a gambling match (side bets going) on playing the Ghost on this super tight (shimmed) Gold Crown Brunswick (and I got to watch one night while a very large group of players were making side bets on and against him), and he beat the Ghost playing on that table in races to 10 pretty consistently, and I heard that he could not get any more action after awhile playing the Ghost on that table (which was the toughest table in the pool hall). This was back in the late 90's (if I remember correctly). He was such an awesome player.

Last edited: