If Pool EVER Wants To be called a sport

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I always classified any game that could cause personal injury or death a sport.

The game obviously has that covered.

:thumbup:

Okay....that kinda cracked me up....:D
....but it also goes with this....

IMG_4725.JPG

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
More and more top players are taking longer and longer to shoot. Each shot has become a game in it self. Have you looked at the fans in the seat at Accu-Stats, Turnigstone, U.S Open 9 ball, Allen Hopkins Expo...and many others. They are the same old guys every year. You have to have a sense of urgency to the game...like a shot clock. Johnnyt

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's a little hard to compare different sports, but I don't think pool is much slower than golf. Occasionally there are players who take a bit too long I suppose, I just don't think this is the issue.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool isn't a sport and slow players should be heckled, yelled at and taken out back and beaten.

Give them a minute or two to look over after break and then 15-20 per shoot, 45-60 for complicated calculations.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Pool isn't a sport and slow players should be heckled, yelled at and taken out back and beaten.

Give them a minute or two to look over after break and then 15-20 per shoot, 45-60 for complicated calculations.

Actually, it is a sport. The Olympics do NOT consider endeavors that are not sporting in nature. You still need good hand-eye coordination, coupled with strategy and in some cases power. What's not sporing about that ;)

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need good hand eye coordination and strategy to be a good chef, does that make me an athlete because it falls under your definition of sport?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I need good hand eye coordination and strategy to be a good chef, does that make me an athlete because it falls under your definition of sport?

It depends on if you're any good at it, I suppose.

Anyone can do a sport, but only athletes can excel at those. How's that?

Jeff Livingston

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
FWIW, I watched some of the European players in the recent Moscow tournament this last weekend.

It became unbearable to watch and I gave up after a few games.

I don't care if somebody runs 8,000 balls without a miss, if it takes him a minute or two to shoot EVERY shot, no matter how simple, I'm not watching it.

There is NO WAY IN HELL the average Joe is going to watch pool on TV if this is the type of playing that is going to be done. I'm an AVID pool fan and have played for half a century and I won't even watch it.

Pool is NEVER going to get on TV and become successful without something to keep people awake. Watching 9-ball games that are strung out to look like one-pocket games isn't going to cut it. Pool needs shot clocks and people like Earl Strickland...action and personalities.

Agreed. Although I do watch streams quite often.
I love watching Earl, Shaw, Keith (again), Shane, Rodney etc. Faster players.
Would be great to have more of them.
Also got me thinking.
Karen Corr. Obviously not the fastest player but...... I always enjoy watching her play.
I guess because she doesn't study or fret about each shot.
Just a nice methodical consistent pace. That doesn't bother me.
Our own AZB Mike W. Now THAT style drives me nuts!

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

yes i really dont understand the constant need to declare billiards a sport

what other "sports" do fatties, oldies, drinkers, smokers compete?

nor do i understand the constant need for justification,
IF POOL WANTS TO BE POPULAR.......

why do you NEED it to be popular, it is what it is,and its not going anywhere
just play and shut up already

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

riiiight. My wife sucks at hand-eye, but cooks just fine.

So, you know more than the international Olympics Committee, and the fact that pool is in the sports page (during it's hey day) and is shown on ESPN.

Nice try but huge fail. Gonna need something better than making a grilled cheese

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
riiiight. My wife sucks at hand-eye, but cooks just fine.

So, you know more than the international Olympics Committee, and the fact that pool is in the sports page (during it's hey day) and is shown on ESPN.

Nice try but huge fail. Gonna need something better than making a grilled cheese

This debate about pool being a sport has been hashed out so many times. No one will ever change anyone's mind regardless of any comparisons they draw. I did a survey not long ago asking whether pool is a sport. A healthy majority of pool players considered it a sport, while a healthy majority of non pool players considered it definitely NOT a sport. Some of the popular arguments/counter arguments were:

-"If it's on ESPN, then it's a sport" (hot dog eating and spelling bee are on ESPN too, definitely not sports)
-"If golf is a sport, then so is pool" (whether people consider golf a sport or not has no relevance to whether pool is)
-"It requires hand/eye coordination, so it's a sport" (so does magic, video games, darts, juggling, etc.)

I can go on and on, but in the end, who really cares?

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes i really dont understand the constant need to declare billiards a sport

what other "sports" do fatties, oldies, drinkers, smokers compete?

nor do i understand the constant need for justification,
IF POOL WANTS TO BE POPULAR.......

why do you NEED it to be popular, it is what it is,and its not going anywhere
just play and shut up already

As for fatties, oldies, drinkers, smokers, etc. I can name golf, football and others if needed.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common sense? OK, we complain that there is a lack of pool, lack of pool coverage, lack of pool support, pool is dying, and on and on. So lets finally get pool coverage somewhere, maybe tv, and then hurry up and get done with it, so we can complain all over again,,,,,,,,,, and so on. Speed adds nothing to quality of play that's ever been proven, but there are maybe 10 percent of folks who want pool to be faster,,,,,,,, so play faster, contribute to your cause, but don't expect everyone else to play until they are ready.
I think it's more like 90% that want it to go at a reasonable pace, which means within 30 seconds for most shots, and a minute for harder ones. No reason for any longer than that.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The older I get, the more I realize just how much stamina is a vital part of winning pool.

I used to go go go forever and then want to get up and go go go again for a whole 'nuther day. Not now.

I don't know if that qualifies pool as a sport but it does take physical energy and stamina to play it well for long periods of time, something most other sports don't have to deal with. Quit as a winner and trouble can appear....lol.

That's all. I don't really care how its labeled. I do care enough that I exercise to stay in shape and consume nutritional stuff to be able to play it better than if I didn't do those things.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I may be wrong, but I think he meant those types can compete at the highest levels.

But also the low level
Just because I throw a football or baseball with my kids, does it make me an athlete, or any kind?

I play on my table daily,but I'd never consider myself an athlete

I thought being an athlete meant doing thing more physically demanding activites than walking around a table lightly pushing balls around it

That's just my take on it, and as you stated before, each side will probably never see it as the other sides, which is ok

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But also the low level
Just because I throw a football or baseball with my kids, does it make me an athlete, or any kind?

I thought being an athlete meant doing thing more physically demanding activites than walking around a table lightly pushing balls around it

That's just my take on it, and as you stated before, each side will probably never see it as the other sides, which is ok

You brought up the second part of the question! If pool is a sport, does that automatically make a pro pool player an athlete?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
yes duane brown and raymond ceuleman are in the same "athletic" catagory
sure thing

There are some major league pitchers that are not "athletic" types, over weight, can't run at all, and probably can't do 5 pushups, but they have a golden arm. Does this mean its' not a sport for them, but everyone else?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
But also the low level

Yes, you are playing sports if you are playing catch with your kid. Just like if you were on a pommel horse, you are then performing gymnastics. There are physically demanding sports and then there are ones that are not. If it was not a sport, ANYONE could do it. And anyone cannot do it. Go get a 60 year old woman who never played any sports and teach her how to play the game. Good luck.

The best students for pool, imho, are the ones that played some sports before. And even better are ones that played hockey, baseball, tennis, etc. See any similarities.

Getting someone to hold the cue for the first time that never played any type of sports can take hours for them to even get confortable. Playing BINGO takes about 2 seconds to learn how to stamp the numbers ;)